Security update and virus

February 11, 2005 1:07:04 PM

I've tried to download the latest security updates and was unable. I've
since run several anti- virus and spyware programs. Many of the items I
found were able to be fixed by the programs, however, I still have several
which I am unable to get rid of with the software. I located several of the
corrupted files but am prevented from deleting them. I've tried to start my
computer in safe mode and locate the files but my computer will not start in
safe mode. Many times when running the anti-virus software the computer
shuts down. I've since disconnected the computer from the internet until I
can find a solution. Thank you to anyone that can help.

More about : security update virus

February 11, 2005 3:32:49 PM

Alan wrote:

> I've tried to download the latest security updates and was unable.
> I've
> since run several anti- virus and spyware programs. Many of the items
> I found were able to be fixed by the programs, however, I still have
> several
> which I am unable to get rid of with the software. I located several
> of the
> corrupted files but am prevented from deleting them. I've tried to
> start my computer in safe mode and locate the files but my computer
> will not start in
> safe mode. Many times when running the anti-virus software the
> computer
> shuts down. I've since disconnected the computer from the internet
> until I
> can find a solution. Thank you to anyone that can help.

What do you mean "can't get into Safe Mode"? What happens? You will need
to get into Safe Mode to run antivirus and malware removal scans. If
you are having trouble getting to Safe Mode when you start the
computer, you can do it from the System Configuration Utility:

Start>Run msconfig [enter]

Click on the BOOT.INI tab and put a check in the box next to /SAFEBOOT.
Now restart the machine and it will automatically go into Safe Mode. Do
all your scans with your av, etc. there. When you are finished, just
reverse your changes with msconfig. The next boot up, you'll get a
dialog saying you've used the Utility. Just tick the box that says in
effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers