Radeon 9700 Pro - ok for Doom III?

Hey folks,

I am looking to upgrade my old GeForce 3 TI 200 to a modern card so I
can pick up Doom III and HL 2 when they finally come out-
I have an A7n8x w/512k w/An Athlon xp 2600 processor.

I don't have much scratch to put together for the card; about $150.
Newegg is selling a refurbished powercooler 9700 Pro for $132. Is
this card still current enough to give current games a decent
framerate or should I bag it for now and wait until the current high
performance cards come down in price?

Thanks for any advice-
4 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9700 doom

    "munchiechee" <munchiechee@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I am looking to upgrade my old GeForce 3 TI 200 to a modern card so I
    > can pick up Doom III and HL 2 when they finally come out-
    > I have an A7n8x w/512k w/An Athlon xp 2600 processor.
    >
    > I don't have much scratch to put together for the card; about $150.
    > Newegg is selling a refurbished powercooler 9700 Pro for $132. Is
    > this card still current enough to give current games a decent
    > framerate or should I bag it for now and wait until the current high
    > performance cards come down in price?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice-

    The latest issue of PC Gamer has an article on the game's tech specs and
    what performance you can expect out of various video cards. It has DOOM III
    on the cover, so you can't miss it.

    It'll be fine - you'll be able to run Doom III on a Geforce3/4 full settings
    at 640x480 (like an Xbox)
    so with a 9700pro expect 1024x768 and medium to high settings.

    "munchiechee" <munchiechee@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hey folks,
    >
    > I am looking to upgrade my old GeForce 3 TI 200 to a modern card so I
    > can pick up Doom III and HL 2 when they finally come out-
    > I have an A7n8x w/512k w/An Athlon xp 2600 processor.
    >
    > I don't have much scratch to put together for the card; about $150.
    > Newegg is selling a refurbished powercooler 9700 Pro for $132. Is
    > this card still current enough to give current games a decent
    > framerate or should I bag it for now and wait until the current high
    > performance cards come down in price?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice-

    I have tried the Leaked demo of DoomIII on my rig with the same mobo as
    yours, 1 gig of ram, Athlon XP2500 oc to 2.1 gig and a Radeon 9700pro with
    the latest omega drivers.

    It was running very fast and smooth at 800X600.

    I think that the 9700 pro is still a good card for todays and for many games
    to come ;o)

    "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > It'll be fine - you'll be able to run Doom III on a Geforce3/4 full
    settings
    > at 640x480 (like an Xbox)
    > so with a 9700pro expect 1024x768 and medium to high settings.
    >
    > "munchiechee" <munchiechee@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Hey folks,
    > >
    > > I am looking to upgrade my old GeForce 3 TI 200 to a modern card so I
    > > can pick up Doom III and HL 2 when they finally come out-
    > > I have an A7n8x w/512k w/An Athlon xp 2600 processor.
    > >
    > > I don't have much scratch to put together for the card; about $150.
    > > Newegg is selling a refurbished powercooler 9700 Pro for $132. Is
    > > this card still current enough to give current games a decent
    > > framerate or should I bag it for now and wait until the current high
    > > performance cards come down in price?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any advice-

    There was actually a timedemo in the leaked build. I got 31 fps with my
    AthlonXP 1600 + GF3 back then at 640x480. :-)

    "Blade Runner" <blade_runner88@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried the Leaked demo of DoomIII on my rig with the same mobo as
    > yours, 1 gig of ram, Athlon XP2500 oc to 2.1 gig and a Radeon 9700pro with
    > the latest omega drivers.
    >
    > It was running very fast and smooth at 800X600.
    >
    > I think that the 9700 pro is still a good card for todays and for many
    games
    > to come ;o)

Radeon Graphics