CRT via DVI-I converted vs. vga analog quality

steven

Well here is the deal.
I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .

I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
monitor.

THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
1dvi-i and 1 vga output.

THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.

Thanks

DVI-converted looks way worse than VGA conn
on the same monitor in my case.

Samsung 191T and 9800 Pro/128.

"steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
> Well here is the deal.
> I have 1 crt monitor but when that fades out would like to replace
> with lcd. Ultimately having 2 monitors would be nice. Uses are
> home video editing, digital photographs 2d applications and would like
> to experience nice game on single monitor. Also would like to run a
> rudimentary CAD application. Very important ot me is having very crisp
> letters in 2-d applications (you know word processing) .
>
> I would like a card that can support dual dvi-i interface.
> But most cards have 1 dvi-i and 1 analog vga output for the crt
> monitor.
>
> THe question is how will the crt monitor look if hooked directly to
> the dvi-i interface via an adaptor that makes use of the last 4 pins
> in the dvi-i plug. Does the adapter convert the signal as well as a
> dedicated vga output that comes on video cards that support have
> 1dvi-i and 1 vga output.
>
> THis is an issue because as I said ulimately I would like to have 2
> monitors hooked to the 2 dvi-i outputs on a card.
>
> Thanks

steven

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:38:34 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>DVI-converted looks way worse than VGA conn
>on the same monitor in my case.
>
>Samsung 191T and 9800 Pro/128.

So let me make sure I understand you.
Is Samsung 191T is a CRT monitor?
Your video card has a 1 dvi-i output and 1 vga output?
Case 1: put a vga converter connector onto the dvi-i output and plug
you 191T into it.
Case 2: plug monitor into the dedicated vga output.
In case 2 the 191T looks a lot better than in case 1?
So your recommendation is get a card with 1 dvi-i and 1vga output
rather than 2 dvi-i output , because I will still be using a CRT for
some time?

Thanks

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:38:34 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
> wrote:
>
> >DVI-converted looks way worse than VGA conn
> >on the same monitor in my case.
> >
> >Samsung 191T and 9800 Pro/128.
> >

> So let me make sure I understand you.
> Is Samsung 191T is a CRT monitor?

No. LCD.

> Your video card has a 1 dvi-i output and 1 vga output?

Correct

> Case 1: put a vga converter connector onto the dvi-i output and plug
> you 191T into it.

Blurry, fuzzy. Can't adjust my way out of it.

> Case 2: plug monitor into the dedicated vga output.
> In case 2 the 191T looks a lot better than in case 1?

Looks good after making proper adjustments on monitor for
pitch/size.

> So your recommendation is get a card with 1 dvi-i and 1vga output
> rather than 2 dvi-i output , because I will still be using a CRT for
> some time?

Yep. Problem is, lots of problems with DVI in general
not working properly. DVI does NOT work with either my
9600SE or my 9800 pro and the 191T. Blank screen after
XP loads. Monitor outputs bad EDID string and video
card driver shuts off DVI.

> Thanks

steven

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:36:08 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>"steven" <steven@de.d> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:38:34 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >DVI-converted looks way worse than VGA conn
>> >on the same monitor in my case.
>> >
>> >Samsung 191T and 9800 Pro/128.
>> >

>> So let me make sure I understand you.
>> Is Samsung 191T is a CRT monitor?
>
>No. LCD.
>
>> Your video card has a 1 dvi-i output and 1 vga output?
>
>Correct
>
>> Case 1: put a vga converter connector onto the dvi-i output and plug
>> you 191T into it.
>
>Blurry, fuzzy. Can't adjust my way out of it.
>
>> Case 2: plug monitor into the dedicated vga output.
>> In case 2 the 191T looks a lot better than in case 1?
>
>Looks good after making proper adjustments on monitor for
>pitch/size.
>
>> So your recommendation is get a card with 1 dvi-i and 1vga output
>> rather than 2 dvi-i output , because I will still be using a CRT for
>> some time?
>
>Yep. Problem is, lots of problems with DVI in general
>not working properly. DVI does NOT work with either my
>9600SE or my 9800 pro and the 191T. Blank screen after
>XP loads. Monitor outputs bad EDID string and video
>card driver shuts off DVI.
>

>> Thanks

Thank you very much for the reply. That is interesting.

So just to make sure I understand where you are comming from,
your 191T takes and analog signal and converts it internally into a
digital representation for display on the monitor's screen?
Are there two input jacks on the back of the 191T? One being a dvi-i
jack and the other a vga analog jack? As I understand your reply you
are answering my questions as if there is only a vga analog jack on
the 191T? Is that correct of incorrect?

Anyways, if I understand you correctly, the conclusion I would draw is
that a superior analog signal comes out of the dedicated vga output
than out of the dvi-i output that you put a converter on. That is
very interesting and very helpful.

So I wonder if I got a card with 2 dvi-i whether the manufacturer
would put good quality analog parts into the card, with the assumption
that most users buying the card would just hook up newer dvi compliant
monitors?

THanks