Buying graphics cards on ebay

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

How much should I be looking to pay for the following cards on eBay (in UK £)

Radeon 9800Pro 128mb 256bit
Radeon 9800XT 256mb

Thanks guys,
Steve

JohnS

About 20 % more than what you would pay for it
in a store. That is the only way you can beat the
automated instant bidding sites. Most of what you
see on ebay is protected by the seller overbidding
in order to prevent a low price bidder from getting
it.

johns

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Steve" <bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> How much should I be looking to pay for the following cards on eBay (in UK
£)

> Radeon 9800Pro 128mb 256bit
> Radeon 9800XT 256mb
>
> Thanks guys,
> Steve

There are deals on EBay, but not many. 6 months back I picked up an ATI 8500
128Mb card for what would be about 23 pounds. Why so cheap?

1) No picture
2) Lousy, short, auction description "Used 8500 128Mb. Works great."
3) Misspelled the word "Radeon" as "Radion" in the title

Hardly anyone bid on it, for good reason too. Turns out the card was
flawless, but not many want to take that chance with such a poor auction
format. Any EBay auction for a desirable video card or whatever with a
decent picture, well written description goes for a high price. After
looking for over a month for a used 9800 Pro I gave up on EBay for this
particular item. The closing prices were within 5-10% of brand new retail
ones. I eventually got a 2 month old retail ATI 9800 Pro 128Mb (box, all
accessories) off the local usenet Edmonton.forsale group. Put up a post
asking if anyone had one up for sale. It works flawlessly, runs at 9800XT
spec without complaint on the stock cooler, and cost me $230 Cdn and no tax
on the sale to boot.....about 95 pounds.

Anyway, don´t go for the 9800 XT, just go for the 9800 pro 128mb, 256 bit,
(ATI, Sapphire, MSI,.....). These ones can be overclocked very easy to XT
speeds because they have the r360 core (XT). ;-) . Just looks in the forums
of www.guru3d.com or www.rage3d.com all the information about this topic.

I doesn't worth the big difference in the price of the 9800 xt over the 9800
pro.

For reference, in USA the price of the 9800 pro it´s about US$200.

I have the MSI 9800 Pro o/c to the XT speeds and I have a score of 6500 in
3dmark03. It´s an incredible card!!!! and an excellent value for money.

Read the Forums!!! :)

Cheers

"johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu> wrote in message
> About 20 % more than what you would pay for it
> in a store. That is the only way you can beat the
> automated instant bidding sites. Most of what you
> see on ebay is protected by the seller overbidding
> in order to prevent a low price bidder from getting
> it.

Erm...I think you need to lay off the conspiracy theory juice a little! The
idea that 'most' of what you see is protected by overbidding is fairly
ridiculous, maybe a tiny percentage, but not most of it. And I rarely see
items that are priced higher than regular shops.

If the original poster wants to see what sorta price they go for then do
completed/finished/whatever... I forget the exact wording.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Cristián Pérez V. wrote:
> Anyway, don´t go for the 9800 XT, just go for the 9800 pro 128mb, 256
> bit, (ATI, Sapphire, MSI,.....). These ones can be overclocked very
> easy to XT speeds because they have the r360 core (XT). ;-) . Just
> looks in the forums of www.guru3d.com or www.rage3d.com all the
> information about this topic.
>
> I doesn't worth the big difference in the price of the 9800 xt over
> the 9800 pro.
>
> For reference, in USA the price of the 9800 pro it´s about US$200.
>
> I have the MSI 9800 Pro o/c to the XT speeds and I have a score of
> 6500 in 3dmark03. It´s an incredible card!!!! and an excellent value
> for money.
>
> Read the Forums!!! :)
>
> Cheers
>

> "Steve" <bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.co.uk> escribió en el mensaje
>> How much should I be looking to pay for the following cards on eBay
>> (in UK £)
>>
>> Radeon 9800Pro 128mb 256bit
>> Radeon 9800XT 256mb
>>
>> Thanks guys,
>> Steve

I love this newsgroup, I've only been subsrcibed a few days but already I've
learn so much and people have been so kind with their explanations, thanks
everyone!

Steve

Wow ;) Sounds like you've been sniped a few times and become a little jaded
about Ebay hehe.
Personally, I reckon Ebay rocks - Ive never had any problems with it through
117 transactions - most of which have been PC parts (being also videocards).
I also bought 3 Radeon9800Pro's via Ebay and paid varyingly much less that
half-price retail. In AUS, the retail for around $400 or so; I got 1 for
$285, another for $320 and recently another for $350 - these are all
including shipping. Anything remotely NEAR retail prices and I'll simply not
even read the ebay posting. I've noticed some idiots are bidding up and OVER
retail prices once they get into their silly little bidding wars. Morons :)

"johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu> wrote in message
> About 20 % more than what you would pay for it
> in a store. That is the only way you can beat the
> automated instant bidding sites. Most of what you
> see on ebay is protected by the seller overbidding
> in order to prevent a low price bidder from getting
> it.
>
> johns

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Bandit wrote:
> best buy got the 9800 pro for 229.00 right now
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01151&type=category
>
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:45:32 +0100, "Steve"
> <bond_youknowtherest_uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> How much should I be looking to pay for the following cards on eBay
>> (in UK £)
>>
>> Radeon 9800Pro 128mb 256bit
>> Radeon 9800XT 256mb
>>
>> Thanks guys,
>> Steve

Thanks but as you might have guessed from my post I'm in the UK

:)
Steve

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:00:24 -0700, "johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu>
wrote:

>About 20 % more than what you would pay for it
>in a store. That is the only way you can beat the
>automated instant bidding sites. Most of what you
>see on ebay is protected by the seller overbidding
>in order to prevent a low price bidder from getting
>it.
>
>johns

I hear ya. If you try to get anything on eBay that's a little
new, your gona pay more than retail. Just a few days ago, I watched
ppl bid around $100 for a non working FX 5950 256MB card. WTF? It
stated in big red letters (Card has been tested and found to be non
functional. Being sold as-is). I emailed the top bidder asking why he
was bidding on it. He replied after the auction was over saying he
didn't notice the description, but had been out bid anyways. I can't
believe ppl would actually pay that much, or even pay $0.01 for
something like that.
You'd have to sit at your computer 24/7 to actually get a good
deal on eBay. I only use it for buying old parts that no longer can be
found in retai.

johns left a note on my windscreen which said:

> About 20 % more than what you would pay for it
> in a store. That is the only way you can beat the
> automated instant bidding sites. Most of what you
> see on ebay is protected by the seller overbidding
> in order to prevent a low price bidder from getting
> it.

The vast majority of eBay users do not use automated sniping sites and
only a miniscule minority try shilling. Many who try the latter also
get their account closed since it's against eBay T&C.

Really, eBay is fine. There is no way you will end up buying anything
on there for 120% of the market value unless you've bid up to that
amount.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]