Administrator Priveleges

February 11, 2005 8:09:02 PM

Hi,
I have administrator priveleges on my computer(personal laptop) and I am a
single user on my computer. However, whenever I try and change the date/time
or try and install updates or new software(like the XP SP2) the computer
gives me a message saying that I do not have administrator priveleges.
Am totally confused.
Help
Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 11, 2005 10:51:01 PM

Is it Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Or maybe another Edition of XP

"Ralph" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have administrator priveleges on my computer(personal laptop) and I am a
> single user on my computer. However, whenever I try and change the date/time
> or try and install updates or new software(like the XP SP2) the computer
> gives me a message saying that I do not have administrator priveleges.
> Am totally confused.
> Help
> Thanks

February 11, 2005 11:47:02 PM

It is XP Home Edition.

"Stfiore" wrote:

> Is it Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Or maybe another Edition of XP
>
> "Ralph" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have administrator priveleges on my computer(personal laptop) and I am a
> > single user on my computer. However, whenever I try and change the date/time
> > or try and install updates or new software(like the XP SP2) the computer
> > gives me a message saying that I do not have administrator priveleges.
> > Am totally confused.
> > Help
> > Thanks

a b 8 Security
February 12, 2005 12:37:03 PM

OK, well since it is home edition you need to go into safe mode (Start up
your computer and keep pressing F8 until the boot menu comes up. Select Safe
Mode and hit enter twice). Once the login comes up, enter the username
administrator follwed by the password (If you have never gone into safe mode
or changed the administrator account password, then it is nothing so leave it
blank. If you did create a password for the account, enter that and hit ok.)
A box will come up saying your in safe mode so say ok. Go to user accounts in
control panel. Click on your user account that you normally use. Once in the
accounts page, click change
the account type. Change it to limited then click ok or apply. Exit out of
the user accounts window. Go back to control panel and then go into user
accounts again. Click on your user account and click change the account type
again. CHange it to an administrator and click ok or apply. Restart the
computer and log in to the normal windows with your user account. This should
fix it.

Changing the account type to limited and then back to administrator causes
windows to reset the limitations and priviledges to the account so any
priviledges that messed up causing your account to limit activity should be
fixed and reverted back to the administrator settings.

Let me know if this worked.
"Ralph" wrote:

> It is XP Home Edition.
>

> "Stfiore" wrote:
>
> > Is it Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Or maybe another Edition of XP
> >
> > "Ralph" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I have administrator priveleges on my computer(personal laptop) and I am a
> > > single user on my computer. However, whenever I try and change the date/time
> > > or try and install updates or new software(like the XP SP2) the computer
> > > gives me a message saying that I do not have administrator priveleges.
> > > Am totally confused.
> > > Help
> > > Thanks

February 12, 2005 3:45:01 PM

HI,
Thanks for the advice. I went into safe mode and signed in with the
administrator username. When I tried to change the account in my username
from administrator to limited it told me that I could'nt do that until I had
another user assigned as the administrator on the computer. So I could'nt
change the account type and the thing still does not work.
Any idea what I should do now?
Thanks
Ralph

"Stfiore" wrote:

> OK, well since it is home edition you need to go into safe mode (Start up
> your computer and keep pressing F8 until the boot menu comes up. Select Safe
> Mode and hit enter twice). Once the login comes up, enter the username
> administrator follwed by the password (If you have never gone into safe mode
> or changed the administrator account password, then it is nothing so leave it
> blank. If you did create a password for the account, enter that and hit ok.)
> A box will come up saying your in safe mode so say ok. Go to user accounts in
> control panel. Click on your user account that you normally use. Once in the
> accounts page, click change
> the account type. Change it to limited then click ok or apply. Exit out of
> the user accounts window. Go back to control panel and then go into user
> accounts again. Click on your user account and click change the account type
> again. CHange it to an administrator and click ok or apply. Restart the
> computer and log in to the normal windows with your user account. This should
> fix it.
>
> Changing the account type to limited and then back to administrator causes
> windows to reset the limitations and priviledges to the account so any
> priviledges that messed up causing your account to limit activity should be
> fixed and reverted back to the administrator settings.
>
> Let me know if this worked.
> "Ralph" wrote:
>
> > It is XP Home Edition.
> >

> > "Stfiore" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, Or maybe another Edition of XP

February 12, 2005 11:51:08 PM

Ralph wrote:
> HI,
> Thanks for the advice. I went into safe mode and signed in with the
> administrator username. When I tried to change the account in my
> username from administrator to limited it told me that I could'nt do
> that until I had another user assigned as the administrator on the
> computer. So I could'nt change the account type and the thing still
> does not work.
> Any idea what I should do now?

How about doing what it said and creating another Administrator user?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
February 12, 2005 11:51:09 PM

I did that too and it still doesnt work.

"Gordon" wrote:

> Ralph wrote:
> > HI,
> > Thanks for the advice. I went into safe mode and signed in with the
> > administrator username. When I tried to change the account in my
> > username from administrator to limited it told me that I could'nt do
> > that until I had another user assigned as the administrator on the
> > computer. So I could'nt change the account type and the thing still
> > does not work.
> > Any idea what I should do now?
>
> How about doing what it said and creating another Administrator user?
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

February 12, 2005 11:51:10 PM

I created a new user as a computer administrator, then went into safe mode,
entered through the administrator username and changed my original account
from a computer administrator to a limited account. Once I did that and
closed the screen and again opened the user accounts menu my username account
was nowhere to be found and I couldn't change its status back to that of
administrator.
Any ideas of what to do next?

"Ralph" wrote:

> I did that too and it still doesnt work.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > Ralph wrote:
> > > HI,
> > > Thanks for the advice. I went into safe mode and signed in with the
> > > administrator username. When I tried to change the account in my
> > > username from administrator to limited it told me that I could'nt do
> > > that until I had another user assigned as the administrator on the
> > > computer. So I could'nt change the account type and the thing still
> > > does not work.
> > > Any idea what I should do now?
> >
> > How about doing what it said and creating another Administrator user?
> >
> > --
> > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> > Gordon Burgess-Parker
> > Director
> > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Anonymous