Can't Locate Infected Folder

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

I've got a Windows XP Home box. I have my folder view enabled to show all
hidden files (and I do not hide protected system operating files). I run
McAfee VirusScan. It did an automatic scan overnight, and this morning I
was presented with a scan status window that it found one "potentially
unwanted program". The details are

Location
C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
\Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js

Potentially Unwanted Program Name
Downloader-UI

My problem is that I can't locate the 83DRUYRT folder or the .js file
itself. A search of C:\ finds nothing, and a search for a Content.IE5
folder in the path shown above yields five locations, none of which are
relevant

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User|Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files
C:\Documents and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
Files
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

Finally, if I check the box in the scan results window, and click delete,
McAfee deletes the file.

Why can't I locate this folder or file?

I've run into this situation before with the CONTENT.ie5 folder...I can't
locate it in the given path.

Thank you
5 answers Last reply
More about locate infected folder
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

    Shannon wrote:
    > I've got a Windows XP Home box. I have my folder view enabled to
    > show all hidden files (and I do not hide protected system operating
    > files). I run McAfee VirusScan. It did an automatic scan overnight,
    > and this morning I was presented with a scan status window that it
    > found one "potentially unwanted program". The details are
    >
    > Location
    > C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files \Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js
    >
    > Potentially Unwanted Program Name
    > Downloader-UI
    >
    > My problem is that I can't locate the 83DRUYRT folder or the .js file
    > itself. A search of C:\ finds nothing, and a search for a Content.IE5
    > folder in the path shown above yields five locations, none of which
    > are relevant
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Default User|Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet Files
    > C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet Files
    > C:\Documents and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary
    > Internet Files
    > C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet Files
    >
    > Finally, if I check the box in the scan results window, and click
    > delete, McAfee deletes the file.
    >
    > Why can't I locate this folder or file?
    >
    > I've run into this situation before with the CONTENT.ie5 folder...I
    > can't locate it in the given path.

    It's a hidden system folder. You have to unhide "hidden and system files" -
    and even then,you may not be able to see certain files in the GUI. However,
    to empty it, it is as simple as emptying the temporary internet files in IE
    (using IE or disk cleanup.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in

    > Shannon wrote:
    >> I've got a Windows XP Home box. I have my folder view enabled to
    >> show all hidden files (and I do not hide protected system operating
    >> files). I run McAfee VirusScan. It did an automatic scan overnight,
    >> and this morning I was presented with a scan status window that it
    >> found one "potentially unwanted program". The details are
    >>
    >> Location
    >> C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    >> Files \Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js
    >>

    >> Why can't I locate this folder or file?
    >>
    >> I've run into this situation before with the CONTENT.ie5 folder...I
    >> can't locate it in the given path.
    >

    > It's a hidden system folder. You have to unhide "hidden and system
    > files" - and even then,you may not be able to see certain files in the
    > GUI. However, to empty it, it is as simple as emptying the temporary
    > internet files in IE (using IE or disk cleanup.)

    I have enabled my folder view options to see all files and folders,
    including system related (as previously mentioned).

    I did let McAfee delete it, but I also did a disk cleanup.

    Thank you
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

    Dump the contents of your Sun Java cache -
    Start --> settings --> control panel --> Java plug-in --> cache --> clear

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

    start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

    1) Disable System Restore
    2) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    3) Using your Anti Virus software, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete
    any
    infectors found
    4) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
    5) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 200 ~ 400MB),
    6) Reboot your PC.
    7) Create a new Restore point

    Dave

    "Shannon" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:oN-dnSKfOofArpPfRVn-qA@comcast.com...
    | I've got a Windows XP Home box. I have my folder view enabled to show all
    | hidden files (and I do not hide protected system operating files). I run
    | McAfee VirusScan. It did an automatic scan overnight, and this morning I
    | was presented with a scan status window that it found one "potentially
    | unwanted program". The details are
    |
    | Location
    | C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    | \Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js
    |
    | Potentially Unwanted Program Name
    | Downloader-UI
    |
    | My problem is that I can't locate the 83DRUYRT folder or the .js file
    | itself. A search of C:\ finds nothing, and a search for a Content.IE5
    | folder in the path shown above yields five locations, none of which are
    | relevant
    |
    | C:\Documents and Settings\Default User|Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    | Files
    | C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    | Files
    | C:\Documents and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
    | Files
    | C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Temporary Internet Files
    | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    | Files
    |
    | Finally, if I check the box in the scan results window, and click delete,
    | McAfee deletes the file.
    |
    | Why can't I locate this folder or file?
    |
    | I've run into this situation before with the CONTENT.ie5 folder...I can't
    | locate it in the given path.
    |
    | Thank you

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

    "Shannon" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > I've got a Windows XP Home box. I have my folder view enabled to show
    all
    > hidden files (and I do not hide protected system operating files). I
    run
    > McAfee VirusScan. It did an automatic scan overnight, and this
    morning I
    > was presented with a scan status window that it found one "potentially
    > unwanted program". The details are
    >
    > Location
    > C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files
    > \Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js

    Did you try a URL?

    file:\\\C:\Document and Settings\DEFAULT\Local Settings\Temporary
    Internet Files
    \Content.IE5\83DRUYRT\a571a97a[1].js
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,alt.comp.virus (More info?)

    "Bruce" wrote:

    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >> Shannon wrote:
    [snip]
    >>> I've run into this situation before with the CONTENT.ie5 folder...I
    >>> can't locate it in the given path.
    >>
    >> It's a hidden system folder. You have to unhide "hidden and system
    >> files" - and even then,you may not be able to see certain files in the
    >> GUI. However, to empty it, it is as simple as emptying the temporary
    >> internet files in IE (using IE or disk cleanup.)
    >
    > I have enabled my folder view options to see all files and folders,
    > including system related (as previously mentioned).

    Certain folders (directories) are "special" to Windows. They are
    controlled by registry entries, and ".ini" files in the directories
    themselves. You will never see the true picture with the Explorer
    interface; instead you should use the command prompt to navigate the
    directory tree with the "cd" (change directory) command.

    If you do a "dir /a" in the Content.IE5 directory, and other
    directories of interest, you will see what's really there irrespective
    of any hidden and system attributes that may be set. You can issue a
    "del" command for the file you want to remove. Be careful deleting,
    files from the command prompt, as there's no recourse to the recycle
    bin if you make a mistake.

Internet Windows XP