Java v1.4.1_02 upgraded to java 1.5.0_01 question?

i use to have java V1.4.1_02 and just recently upgraded to java 1.5.0_01.
when going to add/remove i still see the older version (java V1.4.1_02 )
which has a known bug on it i think, is it ok to remove that on add/remove?
since i have the new version of java 1.5.0_01? because i read on some article
that after installing the new version of java you should uninstall the older
version because it has know bugs on the older version.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Installing Java does not eliminate the previous version. You must do that
yourself.

"Allan" <Allan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i use to have java V1.4.1_02 and just recently upgraded to java 1.5.0_01.
> when going to add/remove i still see the older version (java V1.4.1_02 )
> which has a known bug on it i think, is it ok to remove that on
> add/remove?
> since i have the new version of java 1.5.0_01? because i read on some
> article
> that after installing the new version of java you should uninstall the
> older
> version because it has know bugs on the older version.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:19:03 -0800, "Allan"

>i use to have java V1.4.1_02 and just recently upgraded to java 1.5.0_01.
>when going to add/remove i still see the older version (java V1.4.1_02 )
>which has a known bug on it i think, is it ok to remove that on add/remove?
>since i have the new version of java 1.5.0_01? because i read on some article
>that after installing the new version of java you should uninstall the older
>version because it has know bugs on the older version.

Yes, I'd say you should uninstall all older versions. Sun isn't up to
speed with the new realities, where the most common reason to update a
subsystem is because the old version is unsafe and exploitable. They
still seem to approach these things as if you want the new version for
valuable new features, and may want the old version so that old
programs can use it for better compatibility.

It's what I call the "white bicycle syndrome"; designing things as if
this were a perfect world, populated by greedless angels.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope