Gfx card upgrade?

Hi

I have a barton 3200+ cpu with 768mb pc3200 ram. I have a radeon 9800
Pro.

Is it worth upgrading to an x800 pro or a geforce 6800 non ultra or
will my cpu hold the system back?

My mobo is a asus a7n8x-e deluxe.

Regards

paul

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a barton 3200+ cpu with 768mb pc3200 ram. I have a radeon 9800
> Pro.
>
> Is it worth upgrading to an x800 pro or a geforce 6800 non ultra or
> will my cpu hold the system back?

I have basically the same setup you do. Upgrading to an X800 Pro from a 9800
Pro isn't worth it. It's faster, yes, more so on synthetic benchmarks than
on actual games, but not enough to warrant the expense. If you were running
a 9600XT then yes, it's a big difference. Where the X800 Pro performs
considerably better than the 9800 Pro is running graphically demanding games
at 1280x1024 with FASO and other options on.