9200SE - Multi-display, second monitor fuzzy

Mike

Splendid

I had a machine custom built last month for use as a digital audio
workstation. For this type of application, 3D rendering speed, etc.
is of zero importance, but quiet operation and low CPU footprint are
very important.

To that end, the guy who built it installed an ATI Radeon 9200SE 64 MB
AGP card. The rest of the system is Athlon64 3200+ on an MSI nForce
250 mobo, with 1 GB RAM, etc. I have 2 Viewsonic E90Fs that I'd been
using on my P4 workstation with a Matrox G550 - a setup with which I'd
been very happy, display-wise.

When I set up the new machine, I noticed immediately that the second
CRT was "fuzzy". Not illegible fuzzy, but like I'm looking with my
40-year-old eyes without my glasses on fuzzy. I'd never had any
problems with the displays themselves, so I switched their position on
the card, and the other monitor became fuzzy.

I checked settings - both set to 85 Hz refresh rate, and all settings
identical best I could tell. I contacted the guy who built it and he
said maybe the DVI adapter was bad so he shipped me a new one. Didn't
make any difference.

At this point we decided it must've been a bad card, so he sent me a
new one, but what I got was an NVidia GeForceFX 5200 64 MB card and
the PCI version NOT AGP. Although my preference was to stick with the
AGP card, I installed the NVidia and never had the issue with the
fuzzy monitor.

Once the guy found out that I'd gotten a PCI card he had me order a
Rosewill 9200SE 64 MB AGP, which just came in today. When I installed
it, damned it I didn't get the fuzzy monitor again!

I've checked and re-checked, and from what I can tell both monitors
are set identically both in XP, and on the monitor controls
themselves. I am at wits end with this issue. I've degaussed, swtich
the two monitors, nothing I've tried helps.

I wouldn't think there would be an issue with the AGP slot on the
mobo, or it seems like it wouldn't be working at all. ANY ideas
anyone might have would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. Anyone
ever seen this before?

TIA,
Mike

yes my 9700pro dosed the same thing. its not realy bad fuzzy.
i also have a gf 5200 in a back up sys and its fine 2nd monitor is not fuzy
at all.
i tryed every combination you can think of but the dvi to vga is always fuzy
on ati for some reason.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Mike" <ga_harley_guy@_REMOVE_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> new one, but what I got was an NVidia GeForceFX 5200 64 MB card and
> the PCI version NOT AGP. Although my preference was to stick with the
> AGP card, I installed the NVidia and never had the issue with the
> fuzzy monitor.
>
> Once the guy found out that I'd gotten a PCI card he had me order a
> Rosewill 9200SE 64 MB AGP, which just came in today. When I installed
> it, damned it I didn't get the fuzzy monitor again!
>
> I've checked and re-checked, and from what I can tell both monitors
> are set identically both in XP, and on the monitor controls
> themselves. I am at wits end with this issue. I've degaussed, swtich
> the two monitors, nothing I've tried helps.
>
> I wouldn't think there would be an issue with the AGP slot on the
> mobo, or it seems like it wouldn't be working at all. ANY ideas
> anyone might have would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. Anyone

Yep.

On my 9800 pro/128.

DB-15 VGA MUCH better than VGA via the DVI -VGA
converter.

Probably endemic problem with ATI cards...

> TIA,
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Wow, thanks guys! Yes, it is the card that's on the DVI side that has
this problem. I guess I need to find a different dualhead card that
doesn't use a fan and comes in an AGP model.

I really appreciate you both responding so quickly! I was starting to
pull my hair out!

Mike

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:00:25 -0400, "Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com>
wrote:

>yes my 9700pro dosed the same thing. its not realy bad fuzzy.
>i also have a gf 5200 in a back up sys and its fine 2nd monitor is not fuzy
>at all.
>i tryed every combination you can think of but the dvi to vga is always fuzy
>on ati for some reason.

thanx mike i forgot about descaler now i see it has multi monitor suport im
gona try it again its been a yeat sense my last try with descaler

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Mike" <ga_harley_guy@_REMOVE_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had a machine custom built last month for use as a digital audio
> workstation. For this type of application, 3D rendering speed, etc.
> is of zero importance, but quiet operation and low CPU footprint are
> very important.
>
> To that end, the guy who built it installed an ATI Radeon 9200SE 64 MB
> AGP card. The rest of the system is Athlon64 3200+ on an MSI nForce
> 250 mobo, with 1 GB RAM, etc. I have 2 Viewsonic E90Fs that I'd been
> using on my P4 workstation with a Matrox G550 - a setup with which I'd
> been very happy, display-wise.
>
> When I set up the new machine, I noticed immediately that the second
> CRT was "fuzzy". Not illegible fuzzy, but like I'm looking with my
> 40-year-old eyes without my glasses on fuzzy. I'd never had any
> problems with the displays themselves, so I switched their position on
> the card, and the other monitor became fuzzy.
>
> I checked settings - both set to 85 Hz refresh rate, and all settings
> identical best I could tell. I contacted the guy who built it and he
> said maybe the DVI adapter was bad so he shipped me a new one. Didn't
> make any difference.
>
> At this point we decided it must've been a bad card, so he sent me a
> new one, but what I got was an NVidia GeForceFX 5200 64 MB card and
> the PCI version NOT AGP. Although my preference was to stick with the
> AGP card, I installed the NVidia and never had the issue with the
> fuzzy monitor.
>
> Once the guy found out that I'd gotten a PCI card he had me order a
> Rosewill 9200SE 64 MB AGP, which just came in today. When I installed
> it, damned it I didn't get the fuzzy monitor again!
>
> I've checked and re-checked, and from what I can tell both monitors
> are set identically both in XP, and on the monitor controls
> themselves. I am at wits end with this issue. I've degaussed, swtich
> the two monitors, nothing I've tried helps.
>
> I wouldn't think there would be an issue with the AGP slot on the
> mobo, or it seems like it wouldn't be working at all. ANY ideas
> anyone might have would be GREATLY appreciated at this point. Anyone
> ever seen this before?
>

> TIA,
> Mike

ops wrong post sorry mike i hade to may windows open

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com