How do i create/make Power Users in Windows XP Home?

To Whom It May Concern:

I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows XP
Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?

NeoSadist
8 answers Last reply
More about create make power users windows home

    NeoSadist wrote:

    > To Whom It May Concern:
    >
    > I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
    > XP
    > Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
    >
    > NeoSadist

    No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
    does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
    provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
    www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    You'll need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    > You'll need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional.

    Gotta love Microsoft ...
    Sorry, that is not an option.

    --
    Great minds run in great circles.

    Malke wrote:

    > NeoSadist wrote:
    >
    >> To Whom It May Concern:
    >>
    >> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
    >> XP
    >> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
    >>
    >> NeoSadist
    >
    > No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
    > does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
    > provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
    > www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
    >
    > Malke

    What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis without
    giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide when using
    IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
    Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user group
    someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group still is
    understood by xp home) ?

    --
    "The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty. You might want to mug
    someone with it."

    NeoSadist wrote:
    > To Whom It May Concern:
    >
    > I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
    > XP Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?

    No. (Well, not without upgrading to WinXP Pro.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Perhaps you can tweak XP Home with this freeware tool: http://www.x-setup.net/ But since I use XP Pro I wouldn't know for sure.

    greetz,
    Bert

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:03:20 +0000, NeoSadist wrote:

    > Malke wrote:
    >
    >> NeoSadist wrote:
    >>
    >>> To Whom It May Concern:
    >>>
    >>> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
    >>> XP
    >>> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
    >>>
    >>> NeoSadist
    >>
    >> No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
    >> does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
    >> provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
    >> www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis without
    > giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide when using
    > IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
    > Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user group
    > someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group still is
    > understood by xp home) ?

    Sure, set the account as Administrator, configure what needs configured,
    reset it to LIMITED, and let them run with it.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:

    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:03:20 +0000, NeoSadist wrote:
    >
    >> Malke wrote:

    >>> No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
    >>> does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
    >>> provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
    >>> www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
    >>>
    >>> Malke
    >>
    >> What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis
    >> without giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide
    >> when using IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
    >> Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user
    >> group someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group
    >> still is understood by xp home) ?
    >
    > Sure, set the account as Administrator, configure what needs configured,
    > reset it to LIMITED, and let them run with it.

    Uh, that's not a solution either, as logging in as an admin creates certain
    home directories and files, that when you log in as limited, it will cause
    certain problems. beyond that, it's still not power users, i.e. a group
    which tends to minimize the admin/user problem with certain software.

    --
    Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Power Windows XP