How do i create/make Power Users in Windows XP Home?

February 13, 2005 8:28:20 AM

To Whom It May Concern:

I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows XP
Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?

NeoSadist
February 13, 2005 8:40:53 AM

NeoSadist wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
> XP
> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
>
> NeoSadist

No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

You'll need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"NeoSadist" wrote:

| To Whom It May Concern:
|
| I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows XP
| Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
|
| NeoSadist
February 13, 2005 11:01:57 AM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> You'll need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional.

Gotta love Microsoft ...
Sorry, that is not an option.

--
Great minds run in great circles.
Anonymous

Malke wrote:

> NeoSadist wrote:
>
>> To Whom It May Concern:
>>
>> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
>> XP
>> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
>>
>> NeoSadist
>
> No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
> does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
> provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
> www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
>
> Malke

What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis without
giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide when using
IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user group
someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group still is
understood by xp home) ?

--
"The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty. You might want to mug
someone with it."

NeoSadist wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
> XP Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?

No. (Well, not without upgrading to WinXP Pro.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:51:40 PM

Perhaps you can tweak XP Home with this freeware tool: http://www.x-setup.net/ But since I use XP Pro I wouldn't know for sure.

greetz,
Bert

"NeoSadist" <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote in message news:YLHPd.448$QJ7.210@fe07.lga...
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows XP
> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
>
> NeoSadist
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:28:32 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:03:20 +0000, NeoSadist wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>
>> NeoSadist wrote:
>>
>>> To Whom It May Concern:
>>>
>>> I want my users to be Power Users, but I cannot do this with Windows
>>> XP
>>> Home like I can with Windows XP Pro. Is there any way around this?
>>>
>>> NeoSadist
>>
>> No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
>> does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
>> provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
>> www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
>>
>> Malke
>
> What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis without
> giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide when using
> IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
> Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user group
> someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group still is
> understood by xp home) ?

Sure, set the account as Administrator, configure what needs configured,
reset it to LIMITED, and let them run with it.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:03:20 +0000, NeoSadist wrote:
>
>> Malke wrote:

>>> No. Home does not provide the same level of system control that Pro
>>> does. You can look at Doug Knox's Security Console to see if it will
>>> provide some of the features you need. Get it at his site
>>> www.dougknox.com. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to Pro Edition.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>
>> What I need is Win XP Home SP 2 to work properly on a per-user basis
>> without giving people administrator rights (which is similar to suicide
>> when using IE to browse the internet, which I don't do, but still....)
>> Any clue if there is a registry entry or file somewhere for what user
>> group someone belongs to and/or if it can be hacked (if Power User group
>> still is understood by xp home) ?
>
> Sure, set the account as Administrator, configure what needs configured,
> reset it to LIMITED, and let them run with it.

Uh, that's not a solution either, as logging in as an admin creates certain
home directories and files, that when you log in as limited, it will cause
certain problems. beyond that, it's still not power users, i.e. a group
which tends to minimize the admin/user problem with certain software.

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.
!