9800 pro vs 5900xt

ozman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 New video cards either the 5900xt or the
9800pro. It seems that the 9800pro beats the 5900xt in most benchmarks but
I've been a Nvidia guy since the TNT. I've never had much luck with ATI in
the past but the 9800pro is what a lot of people recommend. My system is
currently is Asus A7N8X, 2.4 Athlon, Gainward 5600xt and 1 gig DDR.

Here are my questions:
Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

Andrew

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:27:44 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:

>Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?

I have no issues with my 9700 Pro and the A7N8X Deluxe.

Mike

Splendid

I had TNT which I loved, then a TNT2U, which was replaced with a radeon LE,
been happy with ATI since. Now have the 9800pro, very happy with it.

Mike

Andrew wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:27:44 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
>

>>Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
>

> I have no issues with my 9700 Pro and the A7N8X Deluxe.

Same here.

B.

"Benno..." <0@0.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> Andrew wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:27:44 GMT, "Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
> >

> > I have no issues with my 9700 Pro and the A7N8X Deluxe.
>
> Same here.
>
> B.

Again same here, A7N8X Deluxe and 9700 pro, run perfect.

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> I've narrowed my choice down to 2 New video cards either the 5900xt or the
> 9800pro. It seems that the 9800pro beats the 5900xt in most benchmarks
but
> I've been a Nvidia guy since the TNT. I've never had much luck with ATI
in
> the past but the 9800pro is what a lot of people recommend. My system is
> currently is Asus A7N8X, 2.4 Athlon, Gainward 5600xt and 1 gig DDR.
>
> Here are my questions:
> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
> I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
> the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

i run a 9600XT on an abit NF7 with no problems. I wouldnt get a 5900XT over
a 9800pro even with nvidia`s openGL superiority. Nvidia XT cards are like
ATI`s SE cards arent they? although full 5900`s are alot more than XT`s. As
for how long they`ll run as long as they`re cooled effectively and handled
carefully they should last as long as you need them to. some of my old cards
are still going strong 5 years down the line in other people`s systems...:)

> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?

ABIT NFS-7 V, 2 with ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

Works Great, no problems at all.

Thomas G.

Ozman wrote:
> I've narrowed my choice down to 2 New video cards either the 5900xt or the
> 9800pro. It seems that the 9800pro beats the 5900xt in most benchmarks
> but I've been a Nvidia guy since the TNT. I've never had much luck with
> ATI in the past but the 9800pro is what a lot of people recommend. My
> system is currently is Asus A7N8X, 2.4 Athlon, Gainward 5600xt and 1 gig
> DDR.

Well if you've been nVidia since the TNT days, then your past experience of
ATI is pretty much irrelevant. ATI have come a long way.

> Here are my questions:
> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?

My 9800 Pro on my A7N8X Deluxe is an excellent combination.

> I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
> the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

If the shift is towards pixel shaders, and it certainly looks that way, the
ATI will probably outlast the nVidia quite a bit longer. Bearing in mind of
course that longer is a relative term and we are talking about computers
here :)

Ben

if ur looking at a card for max performance
and have $$ then wait and get a x800pro/XT,
but that will also mean a system upgrade so theres
no bottleneks, if budget dosent allow and u want
it to run on ur current system 9800pro/XT will be
a good purchase, their a great card and still performs
sweet, i wouldnt upgrade for another year or so
myself with my 9800xt, and lookin at my specs,
ull see im using asus mobo, and card also OC
and i have no stability issues nor problems, im a happy
chappy, just make sure if u don the step over
to ATI that u clean up ur video nvidia drivers
b4 u install the new card.

im sure theres no issues with nforce chipsets, correct me if im wrong

i was going for a 5900xt 5 months ago, and i ended up getting a 9600xt
through lookin around at benchmarks, price, and image quality, i opted for
9600xt
and i was happy for 5 months :) luckly i was able to sell it off not much
more than the
paid price, and i got myself a kickass card!

good luck

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @ 3200XP 11X200 2.21Ghz (waiting for Corsair 512 XMS3700 for xtra
Ram speed & Possible xtra FSB )
ThermalTake Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
ASUS-A7N8X-E Deluxe
Kingmax 2X256MB Tiny BGA PC2700 DualChannel @166mhz 5/6
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @463/399 (Omegas 2.5.51 & ATI tool 0.20 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache
2x40GB ATA Seagate
SB AudigyES
ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS)
ThermalTake Hardcano 10 (Modded - All bits attached to 5.25" case face
plate - way better looking)

"Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> I've narrowed my choice down to 2 New video cards either the 5900xt or the
> 9800pro. It seems that the 9800pro beats the 5900xt in most benchmarks
but
> I've been a Nvidia guy since the TNT. I've never had much luck with ATI
in
> the past but the 9800pro is what a lot of people recommend. My system is
> currently is Asus A7N8X, 2.4 Athlon, Gainward 5600xt and 1 gig DDR.
>
> Here are my questions:
> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
> I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
> the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

9800Pro with a7n8x-x here, runs perfect, no troubles to speak of. I have 3
machines exactly the same, also - no problems.

"Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> I've narrowed my choice down to 2 New video cards either the 5900xt or the
> 9800pro. It seems that the 9800pro beats the 5900xt in most benchmarks
but
> I've been a Nvidia guy since the TNT. I've never had much luck with ATI
in
> the past but the 9800pro is what a lot of people recommend. My system is
> currently is Asus A7N8X, 2.4 Athlon, Gainward 5600xt and 1 gig DDR.
>
> Here are my questions:
> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?
> I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
> the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

"Ozman" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> Are any issues with an nForce board and a ATI card?

None reported.

> I have seen the benchmarks but how much more longer will I be able to run
> the 9800pro over the 5900xt?

You mean how much longer before you have to upgrade again? Not much longer.
The 9800Pro is faster, but not that much faster.