Steam and wireless router

Hi all,

Any suggestions for the following problem?

Setup:
XP Home Sp2
ADSL 512 connection
Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router

When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
(XP, router) turned off.

Any suggestions?

TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about steam wireless router

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any suggestions for the following problem?
    >
    > Setup:
    > XP Home Sp2
    > ADSL 512 connection
    > Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router
    >
    > When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
    > fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
    > windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
    > (XP, router) turned off.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    FWIW I use a linksys wireless router with no issues whatsoever. Recheck
    your *wireless* configuration parameters on the router (they my be
    different to the wired settings), and read up on steampowered.com on
    which UDP ports Steam uses.

    Rob wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Any suggestions for the following problem?
    >
    > Setup:
    > XP Home Sp2
    > ADSL 512 connection
    > Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router
    >
    > When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
    > fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
    > windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
    > (XP, router) turned off.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    How good is your wireless signal to the router? I'm no expert on
    Wireless networking, although I understand that sometimes the Windows
    master browser can interfere with your connectivity to a network.

    How well do websites and other games work when you're connected
    wirelessly? and are you able to ping the router?

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    > How good is your wireless signal to the router?

    Full strength: for testing the PC -> router distance is a metre at most.
    Windows connectivity is fine.

    "Rob" <r_harle@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> How good is your wireless signal to the router?
    >

    > Full strength: for testing the PC -> router distance is a metre at most.
    > Windows connectivity is fine.

    I also have a Belkin Wireless Router and updated from a CAT5 connection but
    have had no problems. By default the wireless router should not block access
    to TCP/IP or UDP ports, so have you managed to set up any access rules on
    the router??

    As a previous poster suggested, read www.steampowered.com/forums and find
    out what ports (both TCP and UDP) that steam and it's games use, then open
    them up to see if it makes any difference.

    If that doesn't make any shred of difference, then maybe it could be the
    firewall settings on Windows XP2 that could interfere. Unless you have some
    software firewall like Sygate or BlackIce running as well???

    b0yce

Wireless Router Steam Windows XP Video Games