  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 8, 2005 3:07:15 PM

Hi all,

Any suggestions for the following problem?

Setup:
XP Home Sp2
ADSL 512 connection
Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router

When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
(XP, router) turned off.

Any suggestions?

TIA

More about : steam wireless router

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:10:56 PM

Rob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any suggestions for the following problem?
>
> Setup:
> XP Home Sp2
> ADSL 512 connection
> Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router
>
> When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
> fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
> windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
> (XP, router) turned off.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

FWIW I use a linksys wireless router with no issues whatsoever. Recheck
your *wireless* configuration parameters on the router (they my be
different to the wired settings), and read up on steampowered.com on
which UDP ports Steam uses.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:44:13 AM

Rob wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any suggestions for the following problem?
>
> Setup:
> XP Home Sp2
> ADSL 512 connection
> Belkin ADSL modem/wireless router
>
> When the PC is connected by Cat5 cable to the router, steam works just
> fine. When the connection is over the wireless (full connectivity in
> windows) I cannot contact the steam servers, even with all firewalls
> (XP, router) turned off.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA

How good is your wireless signal to the router? I'm no expert on
Wireless networking, although I understand that sometimes the Windows
master browser can interfere with your connectivity to a network.

How well do websites and other games work when you're connected
wirelessly? and are you able to ping the router?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Related resources

> How good is your wireless signal to the router?

Full strength: for testing the PC -> router distance is a metre at most.
Windows connectivity is fine.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:05:18 PM

"Rob" <r_harle@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> How good is your wireless signal to the router?
>

> Full strength: for testing the PC -> router distance is a metre at most.
> Windows connectivity is fine.

I also have a Belkin Wireless Router and updated from a CAT5 connection but
have had no problems. By default the wireless router should not block access
to TCP/IP or UDP ports, so have you managed to set up any access rules on
the router??

As a previous poster suggested, read www.steampowered.com/forums and find
out what ports (both TCP and UDP) that steam and it's games use, then open
them up to see if it makes any difference.

If that doesn't make any shred of difference, then maybe it could be the
firewall settings on Windows XP2 that could interfere. Unless you have some
software firewall like Sygate or BlackIce running as well???

b0yce
!