Blue screen (XP) if s-video connected to TV on ATI 8500 LE

Hi,
I have a very strange problem.

If my ATI 8500 is connected with the s-video cable to my TV and the
system restarts, it gives me the blue screen of death on XP. This is
irrespective of whether the TV is on or off.

If I unplug the cable from the TV, it starts up just fine, and then I
can reconnect to the TV and enable TV from the "display" tab on ATI
drivers (Display->advance->Display tab). This is turning out to be a
big pain.

This is using ATI 4.6 or Omega drivers based on 4.6.

I had a similar, but not quite the same problem with 4.4 and older
where if the s-video was connected, I would get an error message on XP
when the ati desktop application was starting up, and in the
Display->Advanced, I wouldn't have any of the ATI tabs. But at least
the system started up.

Anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is? Could it be hardware?

My system is:
P4 2.8 running XP SP1 and ATI 8500 LE 32MB.

thanks