WINXP Pro load blocked by chinese character pop-up box

I have all spyware, virus protection, etc. This action box with chinese
characters comes up during load and sometimes lets me through if I hit
ctr,alt,del, but other times I need to reboot. If I hit OK I can go right to
widows load but not sure if this is saving new instances to my machine r
what. I already run adaware, Pennicillin internet protection, ms spyware
over WInXP pro w/ sp2
Do I need to re-install windows to nail this thing?
THanks

--
Bruce J
2 answers Last reply

    PCcillian does not do any virus checks at boot.

    You may want to install another antivirus solution, boot to safe mode, and
    run a new scan.

    What are you doing to get this pop-up?
    Are you surfing somewhere? What browser are you using?
    Are you using an application?

    Can you give more details on the circumstances around the incident?

    "BDJ" wrote:

    > I have all spyware, virus protection, etc. This action box with chinese
    > characters comes up during load and sometimes lets me through if I hit
    > ctr,alt,del, but other times I need to reboot. If I hit OK I can go right to
    > widows load but not sure if this is saving new instances to my machine r
    > what. I already run adaware, Pennicillin internet protection, ms spyware
    > over WInXP pro w/ sp2
    > Do I need to re-install windows to nail this thing?
    > THanks
    >

    > --
    > Bruce J

    THanks for the fedback, running the latest version of IE. I happenned to be
    downloading several midi music files that day. I was uninstallin an
    application (Roland Sound Canvas, during reboot, adware told me that an app
    was tryinh to modify my reg but I allowed it because I thought it was the
    uninstall program updating the reg. I am simply reboooting when this happens
    and not running anything, minimal load at start-up, I will rty a safeboot
    and re-run all my tools and see if I can trap something. Not too optimistic
    right now,
    THanks

    "Phil Agcaoili" wrote:

    > PCcillian does not do any virus checks at boot.
    >
    > You may want to install another antivirus solution, boot to safe mode, and
    > run a new scan.
    >
    > What are you doing to get this pop-up?
    > Are you surfing somewhere? What browser are you using?
    > Are you using an application?
    >
    > Can you give more details on the circumstances around the incident?
    >

    > "BDJ" wrote:
    >
    > > I have all spyware, virus protection, etc. This action box with chinese
    > > characters comes up during load and sometimes lets me through if I hit
    > > ctr,alt,del, but other times I need to reboot. If I hit OK I can go right to
    > > widows load but not sure if this is saving new instances to my machine r
    > > what. I already run adaware, Pennicillin internet protection, ms spyware
    > > over WInXP pro w/ sp2
    > > Do I need to re-install windows to nail this thing?
    > > THanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Bruce J

Security Microsoft Spyware Windows XP