WINXP Pro load blocked by chinese character pop-up box

a b 8 Security
February 13, 2005 12:13:01 PM

I have all spyware, virus protection, etc. This action box with chinese
characters comes up during load and sometimes lets me through if I hit
ctr,alt,del, but other times I need to reboot. If I hit OK I can go right to
widows load but not sure if this is saving new instances to my machine r
what. I already run adaware, Pennicillin internet protection, ms spyware
over WInXP pro w/ sp2
Do I need to re-install windows to nail this thing?
THanks

--
Bruce J
Anonymous

PCcillian does not do any virus checks at boot.

You may want to install another antivirus solution, boot to safe mode, and
run a new scan.

What are you doing to get this pop-up?
Are you surfing somewhere? What browser are you using?
Are you using an application?

Can you give more details on the circumstances around the incident?

"BDJ" wrote:

> I have all spyware, virus protection, etc. This action box with chinese
> characters comes up during load and sometimes lets me through if I hit
> ctr,alt,del, but other times I need to reboot. If I hit OK I can go right to
> widows load but not sure if this is saving new instances to my machine r
> what. I already run adaware, Pennicillin internet protection, ms spyware
> over WInXP pro w/ sp2
> Do I need to re-install windows to nail this thing?
> THanks
>

> --
> Bruce J
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 13, 2005 2:51:01 PM

THanks for the fedback, running the latest version of IE. I happenned to be
downloading several midi music files that day. I was uninstallin an
application (Roland Sound Canvas, during reboot, adware told me that an app
was tryinh to modify my reg but I allowed it because I thought it was the
uninstall program updating the reg. I am simply reboooting when this happens
and not running anything, minimal load at start-up, I will rty a safeboot
and re-run all my tools and see if I can trap something. Not too optimistic
right now,
THanks

!