Assigning internet access to specific users??

February 13, 2005 12:37:04 PM

We have one machine with Win Xp Pro and have about 15 users. It is connects
to the internet thru a DSL modem. How can I (as an administrator) prevent
specific user(s) from connecting to the internet? I am a firefighter, not a
computer whiz, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.
--
Rich
Anonymous

For what you are asking, you are using the wrong technology.

For per user authentication prior to getting Net access, you need Microsoft
ISA server or Kerio Winroute.

Both application firewalls provide for user authentication in order to
obtain Internet access.

ICF is more of a quick and dirty application to have shared Internet access.

"Station 20" wrote:

> We have one machine with Win Xp Pro and have about 15 users. It is connects
> to the internet thru a DSL modem. How can I (as an administrator) prevent
> specific user(s) from connecting to the internet? I am a firefighter, not a
> computer whiz, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.
> --
> Rich
February 14, 2005 12:21:34 AM

there are multiple ways to accomplish this from within Win XP Pro.
they are as follows:

(a) use NTFS permissions to disallow access to the Internet Explorer
folder under Program Files, for a select user/group,
(b) use the Cyberpatrol program from www.cyberpatrol.com
(c) delete the network connection, create a new network connection,
and do Not select the boxes labeled "Use this account name and password
when anyone connects to the Internet from this computer", "Make this the
default Internet connection". for users you want to allow internet
access, launch the connection, and check the boxes/button labeled "Save
this user name and password for the following users", and "Me only".
then do not give anybody the password. users who you do Not want to
allow internet access will not know the password needed to connect.

ask me if you need further details on any of the above solutions.

there is also a Group Policy to disallow running specified applications,
but since it applies to everybody by default, and getting it to Not
apply to everybody is tricky, i think it better to not elaborate for
less experienced users.

!