XP Pro not recognizing password

terry

I recently changed my network settings from a domian to a workgroup and XP
said I need to reboot. When the logon screen comes up, I cannot get into XP.
If never told me I need to setup any new passwords and not even the admin
logon works now.

Please help.

Terry wrote:
> I recently changed my network settings from a domian to a workgroup and XP
> said I need to reboot. When the logon screen comes up, I cannot get into XP.
> If never told me I need to setup any new passwords and not even the admin
> logon works now.
>
> Please help.

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to
have administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to
have administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the
machine back on to the domain, after having first deleted the
computer's old domain account (unless you've also renamed the
computer).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Terry wrote:

> I recently changed my network settings from a domian to a workgroup and XP
> said I need to reboot. When the logon screen comes up, I cannot get into XP.
> If never told me I need to setup any new passwords and not even the admin
> logon works now.
Hi

You will need to log on with the builtin Administrator user:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321305

If that doesn't work out, you might try to reset the local
Administrator password with one of the methods mentioned here:

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Chaguaperson

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Terry wrote:
> I recently changed my network settings from a domian to a workgroup and XP
> said I need to reboot. When the logon screen comes up, I cannot get into XP.
> If never told me I need to setup any new passwords and not even the admin
> logon works now.
>
> Please help.

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to
have administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to
have administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the
machine back on to the domain, after having first deleted the
computer's old domain account (unless you've also renamed the
computer).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I did the same but I laso renamed the computer, I bought this computer from a friend AND I could not log to the internet with wireless so I tried chaging some things and now I cannot enter Is there a way around this now that the domain that this computer used to be part of no longer exists?

Boot into Safe Mode. Remove the computer from the domain if you haven't already. Reboot into Safe Mode and log on as local admin... as long as someone hasn't set the local admin password, you'll be able to create another account or at least remove the password from the existing account.