Athlon 2600XP and radeon 9800 pro

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

About to purchase a Radeon 9800 pro cpu as these can be had for quite cheap
now. Just wondering if my cpu would be a bottle neck in new games?

kt333 chipset
512mb 3200ram
133fsb

Cheers Dan

kerplunkuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2003

I have that processor and card, but I have 1.5gig PC3200. It runs sweet as
on my PC, although I had to upgrade my PSU. I now have a Superflower 520W
real PSU and that is fine.

--
REMOVE .BOLTS to reply
Victoria Concordia Crescit

"Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> About to purchase a Radeon 9800 pro cpu as these can be had for quite
cheap
> now. Just wondering if my cpu would be a bottle neck in new games?
>
> kt333 chipset
> 512mb 3200ram
> 133fsb
>
> Cheers Dan

depends on what resolution you run. At 1600x1200, your GFX card may well be the bottleneck. At
standard gaming resolutions, (1024x768 - 1280x1024 with some AA) you should be fine with the 2600.

Better to add another 512Mb rather than add a faster CPU IMO. Games like KOTOR and Far Cry seem to
stutter far less with the extra RAM, and I think realistically, 1GB is fast becoming the minimum
memory for optimum gaming 3D.

I dont know why you are using a 133FSB though.... especially with that 3200 memory. I am running
constantly at a rock solid 166 dual DDR, 2.5CAS with my lowly 2100 ram (and its rock solid, runs
okay all week, on constantly), so you are more than likely underselling your hardware by a long way
here :)

FWIW, I run with a 2800 and a 9800 pro, nForce2, 1Gb ram. gives me a 3DMark2003 of 5900-6300
(depending on my OC... on my best stable settings I get 6200), and that seems more than enough for
everything I throw at it (including Far cry)

Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About to purchase a Radeon 9800 pro cpu as these can be had for quite
> cheap now. Just wondering if my cpu would be a bottle neck in new
> games?
>
> kt333 chipset
> 512mb 3200ram
> 133fsb
>
> Cheers Dan

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Because its a 266FSB processor based on the thoroughbred b core.

Dan