what does modding a 9800 pro to a 9800XT actually do?

Ive tried to search on the various NGs and search engines to tell me what I actually gain by
flashing my 9800 pro to XT, but cant seem to find anything... so what do I gain, given that I run at
XT OCs anyway?

My 9800 can run happily at 430/370 (and is often left on 24-7 at this speed) and I understand that
the XT runs at 412/370, so I seem to be in spec there, but I don't know if I have a 350 or 360 GPU
(will check if/when I have decided to do the mod).

From what I read, you may be able to get the Overdrive tab working in the
ATi drivers. This is the only "benefit" you will get, and even that is
dubious.

"Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ive tried to search on the various NGs and search engines to tell me what
I actually gain by
> flashing my 9800 pro to XT, but cant seem to find anything... so what do I
gain, given that I run at
> XT OCs anyway?
>
> My 9800 can run happily at 430/370 (and is often left on 24-7 at this
speed) and I understand that
> the XT runs at 412/370, so I seem to be in spec there, but I don't know if
I have a 350 or 360 GPU
> (will check if/when I have decided to do the mod).

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in
message
> From what I read, you may be able to get the
Overdrive tab working in the
> ATi drivers. This is the only "benefit" you will
get, and even that is
> dubious.

For the same clock speeds there is some
performance increase. I can't remember what it's
caused by, someone explained once. And I don't
really know whether it shows up in real games or
not, because I never really had any "proper" games
before I flashed my card. It certainly shows up
in 3DMark03:

Pro BIOS, Pro clock speeds = 5550 3DMarks
XT BIOS, Pro clock speeds = 5760

Pro BIOS, XT clock speeds = 6000
XT BIOS, XT clock speeds = 6200

Everything else identical and as described in
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2746241

It's small differences in all the game tests
(except the first).

Neil

> For the same clock speeds there is some
> performance increase. I can't remember what it's
> caused by, someone explained once. And I don't
> really know whether it shows up in real games or
> not, because I never really had any "proper" games
> before I flashed my card. It certainly shows up
> in 3DMark03:

Hmmm. I think I'll stick with what I have then. Didnt fancy reapplying that arctic 5 anyway.
Runined the last wallet because I didnt clean the credit card properly :)

Thanks for the info all

Interesting, even though the difference is only 3%. Do you have the Pro BIOS
results on the ORB for a line-by-line comparison? I just wanna see if the
other tests (fill rate, vertex/pixel-shader, ragtroll...) showed a
difference.

It could also be tighter memory timings in the XT BIOS, in which case the
improvement will propagate through all games.

> Interesting, even though the difference is only
3%. Do you have the Pro BIOS
> results on the ORB for a line-by-line
comparison? I just wanna see if the
> other tests (fill rate, vertex/pixel-shader,
ragtroll...) showed a
> difference.
>
> It could also be tighter memory timings in the
XT BIOS, in which case the
> improvement will propagate through all games.

I have, but having only the simple 3DMark I can
only publish one project at a time

Here's the comparison:

GT1: 158->158
GT2: 41->45
GT3: 36->38
GT4: 41->42

CPU tests: identical (45 & 8)

Fill rate tests: identical (1826 & 3167)

Vertex & pixel shader tests: identical (20 & 58)

Ragtroll: 26->30

Sound tests: identical (31, 27 & can't do it)

Neil

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in
message
> Interesting, even though the difference is only
> 3%. Do you have the Pro BIOS
> results on the ORB for a line-by-line
> comparison? I just wanna see if the
> other tests (fill rate, vertex/pixel-shader,
> ragtroll...) showed a difference.
>
> It could also be tighter memory timings in the
> XT BIOS, in which case the
> improvement will propagate through all games.

I have, but having only the simple 3DMark I can
only publish one project at a time

Here's the comparison:

GT1: 158->158
GT2: 41->45