Permissions Problem!

February 13, 2005 4:07:03 PM

Hi guys!

I Have recently installed Windows XP with NTFS. Now i am having problems.
When installing XP i created user 'Asad' during installation Which was
ofcourse administrator privilged. after completion I creaetd lots of local
users through 'Asad'. And assign their Home folders in another NTFS
formmatted parition.

Now the problem is that.. When i check owner of those folder it shows
'Asad'. Which is wrong.. Their owner should be the user whose home folder it
is. Its not giving me option to change the Owner also. I even Removed 'Asad'
from administrators. and still it shows Asad as owner of every file in system.

Any IDea Whats wrong here?

More about : permissions problem

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 10:58:00 PM

Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I Have recently installed Windows XP with NTFS. Now i am having
> problems. When installing XP i created user 'Asad' during
> installation Which was ofcourse administrator privilged. after
> completion I creaetd lots of local users through 'Asad'. And assign
> their Home folders in another NTFS formmatted parition.
>
> Now the problem is that.. When i check owner of those folder it shows
> 'Asad'. Which is wrong.. Their owner should be the user whose home
> folder it is. Its not giving me option to change the Owner also. I
> even Removed 'Asad' from administrators. and still it shows Asad as
> owner of every file in system.
>

> Any IDea Whats wrong here?

Asad is the owner, because Asad created the folders.
Why does it matter who the owner is listed as, if you've set the security up
properly?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 10:58:01 PM

Well There is a Problem!

'Asad' Has now been removed from Administrators. But Still if he wants to
see contacts of any protected (by other users), he can right click and can
set himself as Owner of that file/folder and he'll get full permissions.
Which obvisoly no other user wants. And 'Asad' cannot be removed from Owner
List since Owner Dailgoue is not giving any option of adding or removing
owners. And it lists only 'Asad' in current owners.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I Have recently installed Windows XP with NTFS. Now i am having
> > problems. When installing XP i created user 'Asad' during
> > installation Which was ofcourse administrator privilged. after
> > completion I creaetd lots of local users through 'Asad'. And assign
> > their Home folders in another NTFS formmatted parition.
> >
> > Now the problem is that.. When i check owner of those folder it shows
> > 'Asad'. Which is wrong.. Their owner should be the user whose home
> > folder it is. Its not giving me option to change the Owner also. I
> > even Removed 'Asad' from administrators. and still it shows Asad as
> > owner of every file in system.
> >

> > Any IDea Whats wrong here?
>
> Asad is the owner, because Asad created the folders.
> Why does it matter who the owner is listed as, if you've set the security up
> properly?

February 14, 2005 1:03:59 AM

Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
> Well There is a Problem!
>
> 'Asad' Has now been removed from Administrators. But Still if he
> wants to see contacts of any protected (by other users), he can right
> click and can set himself as Owner of that file/folder and he'll get
> full permissions. Which obvisoly no other user wants. And 'Asad'
> cannot be removed from Owner List since Owner Dailgoue is not giving
> any option of adding or removing owners. And it lists only 'Asad' in
> current owners.

What are the permissions on the folders/files in question?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> I Have recently installed Windows XP with NTFS. Now i am having
>>> problems. When installing XP i created user 'Asad' during
>>> installation Which was ofcourse administrator privilged. after
>>> completion I creaetd lots of local users through 'Asad'. And assign
>>> their Home folders in another NTFS formmatted parition.
>>>
>>> Now the problem is that.. When i check owner of those folder it
>>> shows 'Asad'. Which is wrong.. Their owner should be the user whose
>>> home folder it is. Its not giving me option to change the Owner
>>> also. I even Removed 'Asad' from administrators. and still it shows
>>> Asad as owner of every file in system.
>>>

>>> Any IDea Whats wrong here?
>>
>> Asad is the owner, because Asad created the folders.
>> Why does it matter who the owner is listed as, if you've set the
>> security up properly?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:51:02 PM

User folders have only Those Users Assigned with Full permission. No other
have permissions on those folders. not even administrators. And i selected '
Apply these permissions to all sub folders and chields'

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
> > Well There is a Problem!
> >
> > 'Asad' Has now been removed from Administrators. But Still if he
> > wants to see contacts of any protected (by other users), he can right
> > click and can set himself as Owner of that file/folder and he'll get
> > full permissions. Which obvisoly no other user wants. And 'Asad'
> > cannot be removed from Owner List since Owner Dailgoue is not giving
> > any option of adding or removing owners. And it lists only 'Asad' in
> > current owners.
>
> What are the permissions on the folders/files in question?

> >> Asad is the owner, because Asad created the folders.
> >> Why does it matter who the owner is listed as, if you've set the
> >> security up properly?

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:29:29 PM

Asad Ul-Islam wrote:
> User folders have only Those Users Assigned with Full permission. No
> other have permissions on those folders. not even administrators. And
> i selected ' Apply these permissions to all sub folders and chields'

Is this XP Home or Pro?
I am much more familiar with Pro. Wondering whether this is a
"Creator/Owner" issue.

!