Upgrading to a 9800Pro from a 7500

Ferny

I think I'm familiar with pre-downloading the new catalyst drivers and
uninstalling my current ones before installing my new card. But I also read
somewhere that clearing the CMOS might be necessary. What is the CMOS and is
it vital to a new video card install? I'm slapping that bad boy on an AOpen
AX4B-533 as soon as it gets here(hopefully within a few hours as FedEx tells
me it is only a few miles away!).

Ferny wrote:
> I think I'm familiar with pre-downloading the new catalyst drivers and
> uninstalling my current ones before installing my new card. But I also
> read somewhere that clearing the CMOS might be necessary. What is the
> CMOS and is it vital to a new video card install? I'm slapping that bad
> boy on an AOpen AX4B-533 as soon as it gets here(hopefully within a few
> hours as FedEx tells me it is only a few miles away!).

Dunno about clearing the CMOS... can't think of a reason.

Ben

On 7/23/2004 9:22 AM Ben Pope brightened our day with:

>Ferny wrote:
>

>>I think I'm familiar with pre-downloading the new catalyst drivers and
>>uninstalling my current ones before installing my new card. But I also
>>read somewhere that clearing the CMOS might be necessary. What is the
>>CMOS and is it vital to a new video card install?

The CMOS is a type of chip and it is holdover legacy terminology for
where your motherboard stores the BIOS information. "Clearing the CMOS"
is usually done by shorting some jumpers on the motherboard, it sets
everything in the BIOS back to default settings. If you don't know what
the BIOS is, google. Your motherboard manual will tell you how. If
you've never changed anything in the BIOS, clearing the CMOS wouldn't
have an effect, since it's still at default settings.

>> I'm slapping that bad
>>boy on an AOpen AX4B-533 as soon as it gets here(hopefully within a few
>>hours as FedEx tells me it is only a few miles away!).
>>

>Dunno about clearing the CMOS... can't think of a reason.
>
>Ben

Yeah I can't think of why either, unless you're really careful when
installing new components and want to remove any overclocking or other
changed settings. I suppose there might be some boards out there that
support different AGP voltages, if you have it manually set too high and
put your 9800 in, it could fry, AGP voltage should be set to auto.
There is the possibility that in order to get your card working right
and if the mobo is a little older, one might need a BIOS flash to attain
stability.

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]
HES PORN

geoff

Ferny wrote:
> I think I'm familiar with pre-downloading the new catalyst drivers and
> uninstalling my current ones before installing my new card. But I
> also read somewhere that clearing the CMOS might be necessary. What
> is the CMOS and is it vital to a new video card install? I'm slapping
> that bad boy on an AOpen AX4B-533 as soon as it gets here(hopefully
> within a few hours as FedEx tells me it is only a few miles away!).

you won't need to clear the cmos (the settings for the bios screen)

download latyest cat drivers from ati website

just goto add/remove and remove all the ati stuff
it'll ask you to reboot, do so
install new cat drivers, reboot when it asks you to, sorted