MBSA is slightly buggy.

Does WindowsUpdate identify that every available patch is installed?
If so, ignore the bogus MBSA notice.

"Michelle" wrote:

> I have a question about Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer. The problem is
> it keeps telling me that it cannot confirm 1 security update
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx and I'm sure
> I downloaded this before. Is this just an error or something. Could someone
> please help me? Thanks.
>
> Michelle

michelle

Yes, Phil, windows update says I have all the updates. Thanks, for replying.

Michelle

Michelle wrote:

> I have a question about Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer. The problem
> is it keeps telling me that it cannot confirm 1 security update
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-009.mspx and I'm
> sure I downloaded this before. Is this just an error or something. Could
> someone please help me? Thanks.
Hi

For MS05-009/KB890261, it is normal, you will get a note message.

From the FAQ part of the security bulletin for MS05-009 found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-009.mspx

<quote>
Q.
Can I use the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) to determine
if this update is required?

A.
MBSA will determine if this update is required for Windows Media
Player. MBSA will not determine if this update is required for Windows
Messenger or MSN Messenger. It will provide a note message to this
effect. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 306460 for information
regarding note messages in MBSA.

</quote>

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) returns note messages
for some updates
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306460

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: