Ubisoft Recalls Far Cry 1.2 Patch

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html

Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
insanity!!!!

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

    They say, "Far Cry patch 1.2 has shown unexpected behaviour on specific
    hardware configurations".
    I wonder, what are those "specific hardware configurations"? Hmmm...

    GT-Force

    Why on earth would a company rush a *patch*? It's not like there's a whole
    boatload of potential customers refusing to buy the game unless the patch
    got released.

    "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html
    >
    > Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
    > insanity!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Tony DiMarzio
    > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > djraid@comcast.net

    Is that a rhetorical question? I agree... however, they _were_ compelled to
    rush 1.2. Everyone wanted it... the sooner the better, and this is the end
    result.

    Tony

    > Why on earth would a company rush a *patch*? It's not like there's a whole
    > boatload of potential customers refusing to buy the game unless the patch
    > got released.

    > "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html
    > >
    > > Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
    > > insanity!!!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tony DiMarzio
    > > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > > djraid@comcast.net

    Computers with RAM and video cards, I'd bet. And maybe a CPU too.

    GT-Force wrote:
    > They say, "Far Cry patch 1.2 has shown unexpected behaviour on specific
    > hardware configurations".
    > I wonder, what are those "specific hardware configurations"? Hmmm...
    >
    > GT-Force

    "All those not exactly the same as the one in their QA lab"

    > Why on earth would a company rush a *patch*? It's not like there's a
    whole
    > boatload of potential customers refusing to buy the game unless the
    patch
    > got released.

    To be honest, I've been holding off on buying Far Cry until the 1.2 patch
    with the save anywhere fix is implemented. I did see the game for $20 off
    at my local Best Buy yesterday, and it was tempting to pick it up, but the
    price of software drops over time anyway.

    That aside, this is the first time in memory that I can recall a patch
    being pulled. I wonder if nVidia has any comments about it?

    How in hell can you recall a patch?

    Shall I send it in the post or email it?

    Spence

    "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html
    >
    > Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
    > insanity!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Tony DiMarzio
    > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > djraid@comcast.net

    The console save is adequate. I've found that all through
    the game there are breaks that I use to save. One nice
    thing about that is it boots those "heh! I gotcha!"
    places all over the game. I don't mind a hard game,
    but I do mind being intentionally harrassed by a coder
    who thinks something like that is funny, and drops you
    back to an hour agos worth of struggle.

    johns

    > To be honest, I've been holding off on buying Far Cry until the 1.2 patch
    > with the save anywhere fix is implemented.

    Same here. However, the save-anywhere will be available in patch 1.3. They
    already stated that incorporating it was not easy and they could not make it
    in 1.2.

    By the way, IMHO, all the PC-game-developers who do not incorporate
    save-anywhere, are out of their minds, and shooting themselves in the foot.
    If I did not want to save anywhere, I'd go play in the arcades or would buy
    a $150 console. After paying ~$2000 for a high-end PC, heck, I want to save
    anywhere and anytime I want! :)

    GT

    While strolling carefully through the minefield that is Usenet, on
    Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:06:35 +0000 (UTC), "Spencer"
    <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

    >How in hell can you recall a patch?
    >
    >Shall I send it in the post or email it?

    I would ask them to pay for the time spent downloading the useless
    thing.... (particularly if you are on (shudder) dialup!!!)
    --
    Tsunami
    "the geek shall inherit the earth"

    Has anyone determined if it's ati or nvidia cards getting hit harder with
    bugs? I'm hoping it's nvidia's optimizations screwing nvidia cards posing
    the bigger problems...

    Mike

    "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html
    >
    > Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
    > insanity!!!!
    >
    > --
    > Tony DiMarzio
    > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > djraid@comcast.net

    How do you manually save ?
    I hate going back real far as well.
    Thanks

    > Same here. However, the save-anywhere will be available in patch 1.3.
    They
    > already stated that incorporating it was not easy and they could not
    make it
    > in 1.2.

    I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

    > By the way, IMHO, all the PC-game-developers who do not incorporate
    > save-anywhere, are out of their minds, and shooting themselves in the
    foot.
    > If I did not want to save anywhere, I'd go play in the arcades or would
    buy
    > a $150 console. After paying ~$2000 for a high-end PC, heck, I want to
    save
    > anywhere and anytime I want! :)
    >
    > GT

    Amen to that! The main reason why I didn't buy XIII is because I tried
    out the demo, found it to be very difficult and I hated not being able to
    save when I wanted. Even playing through one of the missions in the demo
    proved to be a frustrating experience. A lot of people had similar things
    to say about the full game. Too bad really since it otherwise looked like
    a decent unique FPS experience.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > The console save is adequate. I've found that all through
    > the game there are breaks that I use to save. One nice
    > thing about that is it boots those "heh! I gotcha!"
    > places all over the game. I don't mind a hard game,
    > but I do mind being intentionally harrassed by a coder
    > who thinks something like that is funny, and drops you
    > back to an hour agos worth of struggle.
    >
    > johns

    My biggest gripe with the console save system is that it can ruin the
    immersion factor. From past experience with games in general, I've come
    to expect that something big or difficult is about to happen shortly after
    a save occurs. I know that Far Cry is a hard game, but I like to have
    something of a surprise factor. Having the option to save at timed
    intervals is not a bad compromise (assuming you can adjust the
    increments), but even that can cause momentary hiccups in a game. And
    with Far Cry being a difficult game, it's also nice to be able to save
    when you want.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Well i don't know about other folks, my 9600xtg card actually improved
    performance with this patch, so its staying on for now.

    smithy

    "Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone determined if it's ati or nvidia cards getting hit harder with
    > bugs? I'm hoping it's nvidia's optimizations screwing nvidia cards posing
    > the bigger problems...
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/532/532995p1.html
    > >
    > > Jesus. Can't we just stop the sloppy-programming and rushed-patch
    > > insanity!!!!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tony DiMarzio
    > > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > > djraid@comcast.net

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    So what if everyone wanted it? They already purchased the game, paid their
    money. There's no financial benefit for the company to release the patch
    early.

    > Is that a rhetorical question? I agree... however, they _were_ compelled
    > rush 1.2. Everyone wanted it... the sooner the better, and this is the end
    > result.
    >
    > Tony
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I'm afraid you're incorrect. Saying there is no financial benefit in
    releasing/rushing this patch which adds functionality and fixes bugs is like
    saying there is no financial benefit to Microsoft releasing/rushing security
    updates and OS hotfixes. The financial benefit is long term and forward
    looking as CryTek and Ubi's reputation for quality software is affected by
    the code state of this game.

    --
    Tony DiMarzio
    djtone81@hotmail.com

    > So what if everyone wanted it? They already purchased the game, paid their
    > money. There's no financial benefit for the company to release the patch
    > early.

    > "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Is that a rhetorical question? I agree... however, they _were_ compelled
    > > rush 1.2. Everyone wanted it... the sooner the better, and this is the
    end
    > > result.
    > >
    > > Tony

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 7/25/2004 6:25 PM Tony DiMarzio brightened our day with:

    >I'm afraid you're incorrect. Saying there is no financial benefit in
    >releasing/rushing this patch which adds functionality and fixes bugs is like
    >saying there is no financial benefit to Microsoft releasing/rushing security
    >updates and OS hotfixes. The financial benefit is long term and forward
    >looking as CryTek and Ubi's reputation for quality software is affected by
    >the code state of this game.

    Exactly, with what's been happening I'm losing faith in Crytek. The
    next game they release I'll be hesitant to purchase.

    Additionally one of the main things the FarCry patch was supposed to
    accomplish was enabling support for Shader Model 3.0, lots of people
    buying the new nVidia and Radeon cards will be looking for a game that
    fully shows off their cards capabilities. With the 1.2 patch FarCry is
    that game.
    Or perhaps right now (this is pure speculation) Crytek/Ubisoft has a
    deal with some OEM to bundle FarCry with the Radeon X800 or GeForce
    6800, but they're waiting for the patch to be finished.

    --
    Steve [Inglo]
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message

    > Additionally one of the main things the FarCry patch was supposed to
    > accomplish was enabling support for Shader Model 3.0, lots of people
    > buying the new nVidia and Radeon cards will be looking for a game that
    > fully shows off their cards capabilities. With the 1.2 patch FarCry is
    > that game.
    > Or perhaps right now (this is pure speculation) Crytek/Ubisoft has a
    > deal with some OEM to bundle FarCry with the Radeon X800 or GeForce
    > 6800, but they're waiting for the patch to be finished.

    I wonder what the "issue ratio" is - meaning the percentage of patch 1.2
    users who actually have new problems now. I'm running it with a Radeon
    9600Pro and I haven't seen any new problems. Also, if CryTek issues a
    recall can't they provide a way to uninstall the patch aside from having to
    reinstall the whole game? Is it even possible?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    At the same time, MS is not rushing service packs. SP2 has been a while in
    pipe. Mind you, there are companies that refuse to migrate to a new OS until
    its 1st service pack gets slipstreamed...

    CryTek and Ubi's reputation for quality software is further tarnished by
    recalling a patch.

    Seriously, rushing a game for the gold release has financial benefits: the
    earlier the game starts selling, the earlier the revenue starts flowing.
    Companies are willing to forgo reputation for the immediate financial gain.
    Doing the same on a patch is just silly.

    > I'm afraid you're incorrect. Saying there is no financial benefit in
    > releasing/rushing this patch which adds functionality and fixes bugs is
    like
    > saying there is no financial benefit to Microsoft releasing/rushing
    security
    > updates and OS hotfixes. The financial benefit is long term and forward
    > looking as CryTek and Ubi's reputation for quality software is affected by
    > the code state of this game.
    >
    > --
    > Tony DiMarzio
    > djtone81@hotmail.com
    > djraid@comcast.net
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    You hit it right on the head afaic.

    Mike

    > "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > > The console save is adequate. I've found that all through
    > > the game there are breaks that I use to save. One nice
    > > thing about that is it boots those "heh! I gotcha!"
    > > places all over the game. I don't mind a hard game,
    > > but I do mind being intentionally harrassed by a coder
    > > who thinks something like that is funny, and drops you
    > > back to an hour agos worth of struggle.
    > >
    > > johns
    > >

    > My biggest gripe with the console save system is that it can ruin the
    > immersion factor. From past experience with games in general, I've come
    > to expect that something big or difficult is about to happen shortly after
    > a save occurs. I know that Far Cry is a hard game, but I like to have
    > something of a surprise factor. Having the option to save at timed
    > intervals is not a bad compromise (assuming you can adjust the
    > increments), but even that can cause momentary hiccups in a game. And
    > with Far Cry being a difficult game, it's also nice to be able to save
    > when you want.

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > You hit it right on the head afaic.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote in message
    > > "johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
    > > > The console save is adequate. I've found that all through
    > > > the game there are breaks that I use to save. One nice
    > > > thing about that is it boots those "heh! I gotcha!"
    > > > places all over the game. I don't mind a hard game,
    > > > but I do mind being intentionally harrassed by a coder
    > > > who thinks something like that is funny, and drops you
    > > > back to an hour agos worth of struggle.
    > > >
    > > > johns
    > > >

    > > My biggest gripe with the console save system is that it can ruin the
    > > immersion factor. From past experience with games in general, I've come
    > > to expect that something big or difficult is about to happen shortly
    after
    > > a save occurs. I know that Far Cry is a hard game, but I like to have
    > > something of a surprise factor. Having the option to save at timed
    > > intervals is not a bad compromise (assuming you can adjust the
    > > increments), but even that can cause momentary hiccups in a game. And
    > > with Far Cry being a difficult game, it's also nice to be able to save
    > > when you want.

    I have mixed emotions on the checkpoint system, I usually hate it at the
    time, but I find it really forces you to become much better at a game. If
    you can save where ever you want, you become a bit blasé, because it doesn't
    matter if you die as often, so it can make a game boring.
    I can't see why the fashion in which saves are handled, looses the
    immersion, surely you realise something is going to happen sometime :). They
    are very quick in FC, and sometimes I don't even know they have happened. I
    never though twice about it in Halo (PC) either (actually on Legendary I
    thought about it LOTS :).
    I just finished Hidden and Dangerous 2 on Hard, and that only gave 3 saves
    per mission, and it would over write the previous save game!

Radeon Programming ATI Graphics