Terrible spyware problem

February 13, 2005 5:25:03 PM

Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST and
1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running ad-aware,
and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom there
this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is back.
Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to come
back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 8:44:06 PM

You need more that just Adaware..

First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You will also need to download some more Spyware removal software.. Spybot
is available at this website.. don't forget to check for updates after you
have started it..

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
different tools..

HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....

CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
download here..

CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
bookmark it..

http://www.pchell.com

You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
for you..

http://www.mcafee.com .. http://www.symantec.com .. http://www.zonealarm.com
... http://www.kerio.com .. http://www.gate.com .. http://www.avast.com ..
http://www.grisoft.com..

Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST
> and
> 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running
> ad-aware,
> and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom
> there
> this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
> another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is
> back.
> Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to
> come
> back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 8:44:07 PM

Just so you know, I do have Norton Antivirus . I also did download the
spybot, but i also got 2 viruses from it. I will try the other things
though. Thanks, crossing my fingers.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You need more that just Adaware..
>

> First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
> Stinger works for people.. download and run it..
>

> http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
>

> You will also need to download some more Spyware removal software.. Spybot
> is available at this website.. don't forget to check for updates after you
> have started it..
>

> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
> function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
> updates..
>

> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/
>

> If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
> redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
> different tools..
>

> HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..
>

> http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis....
>

> CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
> download here..
>

> CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
>

> For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
> bookmark it..
>

> http://www.pchell.com
>

> You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
> for you..
>

> http://www.mcafee.com .. http://www.symantec.com .. http://www.zonealarm.com
> ... http://www.kerio.com .. http://www.gate.com .. http://www.avast.com ..
> http://www.grisoft.com..
>

> Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
> helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..
>

> Good luck..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST
> > and
> > 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running
> > ad-aware,
> > and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom
> > there
> > this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
> > another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is
> > back.
> > Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to
> > come
> > back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?

February 13, 2005 9:28:47 PM

Spybot Search and Destroy couldn't possibly give you a virus! Maybe if you
downloaded it from a 3rd party site!

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> [...]
>>

>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST
>> > and
>> > 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running
>> > ad-aware,
>> > and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom
>> > there
>> > this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off
>> > another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is
>> > back.
>> > Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff
>> > come
>> > back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?

February 13, 2005 9:33:21 PM

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt406.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) Disable System Restore
http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore...
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) Create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

--
Dave

"willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST and
| 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running ad-aware,
| and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom there
| this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
| another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is back.
| Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to come
| back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?
February 13, 2005 9:33:22 PM

Try the antispyware program from micorsoft beta. Its a version of giantsoft.
Get it from the main microsoft site from the security center. A note not all
spyware and antivirus progs pick up and find everything. And now said
parasites are better at hiding. You could try an online virus scanner like
norton or trend micro these have some antispyware removes in them. Well in
the installed progam on disc.

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> 1) Download the following three items...
>
> Trend Sysclean Package
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
>
> Latest Trend Pattern File.
> http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
>
> Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> Create a directory.
> On drive "C:\"
> (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
> or the desktop
> (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
>
> Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
> Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
> For example; lpt406.zip
>
> Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
> sysclean.com.
>
> 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
> 3) Disable System Restore
> http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore...
> 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
> 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
> platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
> (a few cycles may be needed)
> 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
> Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
> 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
> (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
> 8) Reboot your PC.
> 9) Create a new Restore point
>

> * * * Please report your results ! * * *
>

> --
> Dave
>

> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST and
> | 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running ad-aware,
> | and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom there
> | this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
> | another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is back.
> | Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to come
> | back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:57:02 PM

HI guys, well I am on my computer at work, because last night I did
everything you all had said to do. It ran all night!! Any way, the sysclean
package does find the problems, but reports error and can not clean or move
the files it has identified as viruses. I am not happy. Kids are not happy.
I guess all I can do now is take it to someone. But, wouldn't they do
exactly what you all told me to do?? Also, If and when we get it off, I
guess there ar no gusrantees that it will never come back right??

"TZ" wrote:

> Try the antispyware program from micorsoft beta. Its a version of giantsoft.
> Get it from the main microsoft site from the security center. A note not all
> spyware and antivirus progs pick up and find everything. And now said
> parasites are better at hiding. You could try an online virus scanner like
> norton or trend micro these have some antispyware removes in them. Well in
> the installed progam on disc.
>
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
> > 1) Download the following three items...
> >
> > Trend Sysclean Package
> > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
> >
> > Latest Trend Pattern File.
> > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
> >
> > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
> > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
> >
> > Create a directory.
> > On drive "C:\"
> > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
> > or the desktop
> > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
> >
> > Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
> > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
> > For example; lpt406.zip
> >
> > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
> > sysclean.com.
> >
> > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
> > 3) Disable System Restore
> > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore...
> > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
> > 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
> > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
> > (a few cycles may be needed)
> > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
> > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
> > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
> > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
> > 8) Reboot your PC.
> > 9) Create a new Restore point
> >

> > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
> >

> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> >

> > "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Hi, I am having a terrible spyware problem. Things like dyfuca and IST and
> > | 1800 searchassistant are constantly on my computer. I am running ad-aware,
> > | and it says it takes it off, but when i go into the program files, boom there
> > | this stuff is. Also, upon leaving the system "clean" and logging off to
> > | another or even the same profile, I have run ad-aware again and it is back.
> > | Is there a file or files that are deeply imbedded allowing this stuff to come
> > | back on?? and if so, how do I get rid of it?

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:42:19 PM

There are no guarantees !

You have to practice Safe Hex and teach those habits to the family. You need to have an
active FireWall and an active Anti Virus defense. That will mitigate your possibilities of
re-infection.

You can email me the SYSCLEAN.LOG and we can determine a course of action from there. Just
remove ~nospam~.

--
Dave

| HI guys, well I am on my computer at work, because last night I did
| everything you all had said to do. It ran all night!! Any way, the sysclean
| package does find the problems, but reports error and can not clean or move
| the files it has identified as viruses. I am not happy. Kids are not happy.
| I guess all I can do now is take it to someone. But, wouldn't they do
| exactly what you all told me to do?? Also, If and when we get it off, I
| guess there ar no gusrantees that it will never come back right??
|
| "TZ" wrote:
|
| > Try the antispyware program from micorsoft beta. Its a version of giantsoft.
| > Get it from the main microsoft site from the security center. A note not all
| > spyware and antivirus progs pick up and find everything. And now said
| > parasites are better at hiding. You could try an online virus scanner like
| > norton or trend micro these have some antispyware removes in them. Well in
| > the installed progam on disc.
| >
| > "David H. Lipman" wrote:
| >
| > > 1) Download the following three items...
| > >
| > > Trend Sysclean Package
| > > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
| > >
| > > Latest Trend Pattern File.
| > > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
| > >
| > > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
| > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
| > >
| > > Create a directory.
| > > On drive "C:\"
| > > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
| > > or the desktop
| > > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
| > >
| > > Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
| > > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
| > > For example; lpt406.zip
| > >
| > > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
| > > sysclean.com.
| > >
| > > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
| > > 3) Disable System Restore
| > > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore...
| > > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
| > > 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
| > > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
| > > (a few cycles may be needed)
| > > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
| > > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
| > > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
| > > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
| > > 8) Reboot your PC.
| > > 9) Create a new Restore point
| > >

| > > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
| > >

| > > --
| > > Dave
| > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > >

| > > "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:11:03 PM

Hi thank you to all who gave me your input. I have now downloaded pccillin
and it found the viruses (trojans) and removed them, however I am still
experiencing files that I have deleted miraculously appearing again. Like
adservice and such. They are so sneaky!!!

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> There are no guarantees !
>
> You have to practice Safe Hex and teach those habits to the family. You need to have an
> active FireWall and an active Anti Virus defense. That will mitigate your possibilities of
> re-infection.
>
> You can email me the SYSCLEAN.LOG and we can determine a course of action from there. Just
> remove ~nospam~.
>
> --
> Dave
>

> "willow" <willow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | HI guys, well I am on my computer at work, because last night I did
> | everything you all had said to do. It ran all night!! Any way, the sysclean
> | package does find the problems, but reports error and can not clean or move
> | the files it has identified as viruses. I am not happy. Kids are not happy.
> | I guess all I can do now is take it to someone. But, wouldn't they do
> | exactly what you all told me to do?? Also, If and when we get it off, I
> | guess there ar no gusrantees that it will never come back right??
> |
> | "TZ" wrote:
> |
> | > Try the antispyware program from micorsoft beta. Its a version of giantsoft.
> | > Get it from the main microsoft site from the security center. A note not all
> | > spyware and antivirus progs pick up and find everything. And now said
> | > parasites are better at hiding. You could try an online virus scanner like
> | > norton or trend micro these have some antispyware removes in them. Well in
> | > the installed progam on disc.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:49:51 PM

willow wrote:

>Hi thank you to all who gave me your input. I have now downloaded pccillin
>and it found the viruses (trojans) and removed them, however I am still
>experiencing files that I have deleted miraculously appearing again. Like
>adservice and such. They are so sneaky!!!

Go to www.lavasoft.de and download Ad Aware SE. It's free, and it is
the best tool for exterminating this particular type of crudware.

Ken
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:18:25 PM

Adaware SE should remove "adservice".

--
Dave

| Hi thank you to all who gave me your input. I have now downloaded pccillin
| and it found the viruses (trojans) and removed them, however I am still
| experiencing files that I have deleted miraculously appearing again. Like
| adservice and such. They are so sneaky!!!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:07:36 AM

Willow

If you run the software or visit the site that deposited these 'baddies' on
your system, there is a good chance that some will revisit..

--

!