Restore Points Dates

Jim

Is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
restoring to that date?

I am running Windows XP Home with SP-2 loaded after downloading it from the
Microsoft web site. All seems to be going okay except my computer has
noticeably slowly down. I am considering removing SP-2 and viewed Knowledge
Base Article 875350 (How To Remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 From Your
Computer). One of the steps is to "perform a system restore to return the
system to a point before Windows XP SP-2 was installed". Seems simple
enough, except in scanning for malware I turned off system restore and I
think that in so doing I deleted all my "old" system restore points.

So, is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
restoring to that date?

Thank you.

Jim

SP2 does not slow down a computer. In fact, you
should eXPerience a slight performance benefit.
Malware will slow your computer.

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Jim" wrote:

| Is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
| restoring to that date?
|
| I am running Windows XP Home with SP-2 loaded after downloading it from the
| Microsoft web site. All seems to be going okay except my computer has
| noticeably slowly down. I am considering removing SP-2 and viewed Knowledge
| Base Article 875350 (How To Remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 From Your
| Computer). One of the steps is to "perform a system restore to return the
| system to a point before Windows XP SP-2 was installed". Seems simple
| enough, except in scanning for malware I turned off system restore and I
| think that in so doing I deleted all my "old" system restore points.
|
| So, is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
| restoring to that date?
|
| Thank you.
|
| Jim

Jim

Thank you ... and Jupiter Jones ... for your replies.
I have Ad-Aware SE (v1.05), Spybot S&D (v1.3), CWShredder (v2.13), Norton
SystemWorks (includes Norton Anti-Virus) 2004, and Norton Internet Security
2004 installed and running on my computer. I update the anti-virus DAILY and
do updates to the others no less than weekly. (Perhaps I should be doing them
more often?) Reading the posts and replies on this community newsgroup, I
will be trying the scans while in XP "Safe Mode" - something I hadn't
previously considered. Additionally, reading posts and replies on other
newsgroups (CNET, Z Davis), it appears that Norton is also a drag on many
systems. When my current subscriptions expire (this coming Thursday), I am
considering switching to either Trend Micro's PC_Cillin or Grisoft's AVG, and
also to either Zone Alarm's free firewall download, or Zone Alarm's Zone
Alarm Pro 5.5.
Any thoughts what I could be doing more of to help my computer would be
appreciated. Thanks again.

Jim

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> SP2 does not slow down a computer. In fact, you
> should eXPerience a slight performance benefit.
> Malware will slow your computer.
>
> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
>
> Symantec Security Check
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
>
> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "Jim" wrote:
>
> | Is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
> | restoring to that date?
> |
> | I am running Windows XP Home with SP-2 loaded after downloading it from the
> | Microsoft web site. All seems to be going okay except my computer has
> | noticeably slowly down. I am considering removing SP-2 and viewed Knowledge
> | Base Article 875350 (How To Remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 From Your
> | Computer). One of the steps is to "perform a system restore to return the
> | system to a point before Windows XP SP-2 was installed". Seems simple
> | enough, except in scanning for malware I turned off system restore and I
> | think that in so doing I deleted all my "old" system restore points.
> |
> | So, is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually
> | restoring to that date?
> |
> | Thank you.
> |
> | Jim

Jim;
If you turned off System Restore you also deleted the Restore points and
that is no longer an option for you.

Start here:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Jim wrote:

> Is there any way to view the dates of Restore Points WITHOUT actually

> restoring to that date?

I'm sure you noticed that Carey did NOT respond to your question, and -
as is his specialty - answered something else. I think he only posts
answers that he has a ready cut-and-paste solution for, and not having
one, he merely posts one that he selects at random.

The answer to your question is YES.

Merely proceed as if you want to restore, and you will be presented
with a calendar showing all restore points, and the reason those points
were established. If you choose not to restore, you can easily exit.

I'm not certain that all of those points will show after a SP install,
however. I've never looked.