Virus found

I have scanned my computer using AVG 7.0 and it has found a virus called
BackDoor.Iroffer.BD.

I have checked numerous sites and cannot find this type of BackDoor.Iroffer
virus. I cannot remove it or heal it. It looks like it is in a pretty
important file to just remove.

Please Help
5 answers Last reply
More about virus found

    Andy H wrote:

    > I have scanned my computer using AVG 7.0 and it has found a virus
    > called BackDoor.Iroffer.BD.
    >
    > I have checked numerous sites and cannot find this type of
    > BackDoor.Iroffer virus. I cannot remove it or heal it. It looks like
    > it is in a pretty important file to just remove.
    >
    > Please Help

    And what is the "pretty important file"?

    Do a scan with TrendMicro's Sysclean in Safe Mode, as follows:

    TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
    advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
    scanning engine and the virus pattern files.

    1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    useful like "Sysclean".
    2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

    The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made.

    3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    menu.
    4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

    After you've done that, update your AVG virus definitions and do another
    full scan with it in Safe Mode. Post back with results from these scans
    for more help.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I spent the better part of yesterday trying to get rid of something called
    backdoor-cfb. McAfee can spot it but can not delete, clean, quarantine
    etc.... It calims that it is a file called ctle.dll in the sys32 folder.
    Would this solution you discribe here work for my problem as well?

    Thanks for the help.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Andy H wrote:
    >
    > > I have scanned my computer using AVG 7.0 and it has found a virus
    > > called BackDoor.Iroffer.BD.
    > >
    > > I have checked numerous sites and cannot find this type of
    > > BackDoor.Iroffer virus. I cannot remove it or heal it. It looks like
    > > it is in a pretty important file to just remove.
    > >
    > > Please Help
    >
    > And what is the "pretty important file"?
    >
    > Do a scan with TrendMicro's Sysclean in Safe Mode, as follows:
    >
    > TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
    > advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
    > scanning engine and the virus pattern files.
    >
    > 1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    > useful like "Sysclean".
    > 2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:
    >
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files
    >
    > The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    > WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    > put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made.
    >
    > 3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    > tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    > menu.
    > 4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    > Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    > need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    > able to be removed so you can manually delete them.
    >
    > After you've done that, update your AVG virus definitions and do another
    > full scan with it in Safe Mode. Post back with results from these scans
    > for more help.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt406.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    "Andy H" <AndyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have scanned my computer using AVG 7.0 and it has found a virus called
    | BackDoor.Iroffer.BD.
    |
    | I have checked numerous sites and cannot find this type of BackDoor.Iroffer
    | virus. I cannot remove it or heal it. It looks like it is in a pretty
    | important file to just remove.
    |
    | Please Help

    I know AVG is popular and a reasonably good program, but I have seen many
    cases like yours where it can identify but not clean or remove an infection
    item (and some where it doesn't identify recent Trojans). You might
    consider switching to ETrust using the special 1 year free offer currently
    available. It's a great deal though not permanently free. I've replaced
    AVG on a number of client machines with ETrust which promptly cleans what
    AVG failed to resolve. I respect AVG, but find it's just not as effective.
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    --

    "Andy H" <AndyH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have scanned my computer using AVG 7.0 and it has found a virus called
    > BackDoor.Iroffer.BD.
    >
    > I have checked numerous sites and cannot find this type of
    > BackDoor.Iroffer
    > virus. I cannot remove it or heal it. It looks like it is in a pretty
    > important file to just remove.
    >
    > Please Help

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)

    start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

    1) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
    2) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    3) Using your McAfee software, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete any
    infectors found
    4) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
    5) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
    System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 200 ~ 400MB),
    6) Reboot your PC.
    7) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

    Dave

Security Virus Microsoft Windows XP