AGHL Question

This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they have
with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have "official"
ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see one or two
members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a hosted server
and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.

What is the connection here?

Owners? Moderators? Official? hehe, no they're just squatters like us.

> This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they have with
> this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have "official"
> ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see one or two members
> of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a hosted server and allowing
> other newsgroup participators to join in.
>
> What is the connection here?

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Walter Mitty wrote:

> This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they have
> with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have "official"
> ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see one or two
> members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a hosted server
> and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.
>
> What is the connection here?

Newsgroups are public territory. They were probably talking about a web page.
Some people in a quake2 newsgroup proposed the group back in 98 because they
were tired of half-life posts in there.

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they have
> with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have "official"
> ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see one or two
> members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a hosted server
> and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.
>
> What is the connection here?

The connection is: you're a newsgroup regular, so you can join the hosted server
if you want, same as anyone else. There is no mystery; nobody owns or moderates
a newsgroup.

Some of the people who style themselves AGHL don't actually inhabit the
newsgroup: they are denizens of the chatroom set up by members of the NG, #aghl.

--
Paul

"crusty" <crusty@noemail.ugh> wrote in message
> Owners? Moderators? Official? hehe, no they're just squatters like us.
>
>> This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they
>> have with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have
>> "official" ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see
>> one or two members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a
>> hosted server and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.
>>
>> What is the connection here?

I guess UseNet is the owner? Heh! Like you said; everyone here is
squatting :) Some of us longer than some others is all. Clique?
That's a poor choice of words on his part. You walk into a pub, see a
group of folks gathered round a table, some others drift in and out but
around that table...that's a clique huh?
McG.

> "crusty" <crusty@noemail.ugh> wrote in message
>> Owners? Moderators? Official? hehe, no they're just squatters like us.
>>
>>> This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they
>>> have with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have
>>> "official" ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see
>>> one or two members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a
>>> hosted server and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.
>>>
>>> What is the connection here?
>
> I guess UseNet is the owner? Heh! Like you said; everyone here is
> squatting :) Some of us longer than some others is all. Clique? That's a
> poor choice of words on his part. You walk into a pub, see a group of
> folks gathered round a table, some others drift in and out but around that
> table...that's a clique huh?
> McG.

That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one

You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of them gets
up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or someone
you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up from the table and
wander over to the bar and start berating the person the 'reg' is talking
to. This happens all the time with people who come into the bar and get into
discussions with a reg.

That is more accurately what happens in this newsgroup.

AND yes that is a clique because it fits the definition perfectly.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clique

Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:56:15 -0500, "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote:

>That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>
>You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of them gets
>up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or someone
>you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up from the table and
>wander over to the bar and start berating the person the 'reg' is talking
>to. This happens all the time with people who come into the bar and get into
>discussions with a reg.
>
>That is more accurately what happens in this newsgroup.
>
>AND yes that is a clique because it fits the definition perfectly.
>
>http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clique

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
> bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
> new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...

A guy walks into a bar... "Ouch!"

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Cannon Fodder wrote:
>
>> Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
>> bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
>> new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...
>

> A guy walks into a bar... "Ouch!"

oh dear.. there are bad jokes, there are atrocious jokes, and then there
are those. just go - don't even collect your coat or call a taxi!

strider

Cannon Fodder proclaimed...

> Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
> bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
> new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...

This little boy hasn't ever been to a bar. When he finally does grow up
he'll either be barred for being a cock or get his head unceremoniously
removed for being annoying.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"Forget about it"

"Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote in message
>> "crusty" <crusty@noemail.ugh> wrote in message
>>> Owners? Moderators? Official? hehe, no they're just squatters like
>>> us.
>>
>> I guess UseNet is the owner? Heh! Like you said; everyone here is
>> squatting :) Some of us longer than some others is all. Clique?
>> That's a poor choice of words on his part. You walk into a pub,
>> see a group of folks gathered round a table, some others drift in
>> and out but around that table...that's a clique huh?
>> McG.
>>

> That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>
> You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of
> them gets up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a
> stranger (or someone you know), all the guys at the table immediately
> get up from the table and wander over to the bar and start berating
> the person the 'reg' is talking to. This happens all the time with
> people who come into the bar and get into discussions with a reg.
>
> That is more accurately what happens in this newsgroup.
>
> AND yes that is a clique because it fits the definition perfectly.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clique

I happen to disagree with you there. There is no 'clique-ism' here;
anyone can and generally does join any thread. the Irc chatrooms are
far more amennable to 'cliques', and they occur constantly in those.

You've simply waltzed into a PUBlic place and blurted out your say.
Many have enjoined you in your topic, both civilly and not so civilly.
It *IS* interesting to note your view of what goes on here. I find it
quite something to smile about :)

I've never once "left my seat" in here. I've found your thread
interesting, yet not on the presented level in topic. It's interesting
you've not commented on either my strong negative responses to you nor
the two positives. Yet you do respond to my post to another person, an
issue aside the original topic altogether. I gather from your post you
find something in the 'general demeanor' of this group ... frustrating?
It would appear you've not recieved the satisfaction you came here for
in the first place. So, what *was* your original 'vision' when you
were composing your first post? You spent a goodly amount of time
preparing information for posting and then composing and posting it.
I've read all of it, including your and others links to laws pertaining
to your original topic. I find that all of that is irrelevant to the
*real* issue. I and a couple of others have quite completely 'filled'
your need as it was originally presented. You've given no indication at
all that you feel this need is fulfilled. Your need is not met. You
didn't get what you came here for.
And why would you bother AGHL'ers with this, as it happened with Epic
games, not Valve/Vivendi? This item coupled with your basically telling
most of us that we condone piracy speaks to your agenda being other than
what was presented.
What's interesting is analyzing you.

McGrandpa [AGQx]

Whew.. Have another hot hottie McGrandpa..... Methinks ya need it...
Why do ya care what these transient ass's say???

"Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote
> That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>
> You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of them
gets
> up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or someone
> you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up from the table and
> wander over to the bar and start berating the person the 'reg' is talking
> to.

I only went over to the bar to help him carry the drinks back. Thirsty work,
this drinking lark.
--
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

shawk

David Firewater wrote:
> "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote
>
>>That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>>
>>You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of them
>
> gets
>
>>up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or someone
>>you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up from the table and
>>wander over to the bar and start berating the person the 'reg' is talking
>>to.
>

> I only went over to the bar to help him carry the drinks back. Thirsty work,
> this drinking lark.

I was just getting a packet of peanuts and making sure David was Ok with
the drinks - seemed to be a little unsteady on his feet...

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Or if ya look like me, jumped on beat up and run off ;) LOL!

"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
> Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
> bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
> new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...
>
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:56:15 -0500, "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>>
>> You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of
>> them gets up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a
>> stranger (or someone you know), all the guys at the table
>> immediately get up from the table and wander over to the bar and
>> start berating the person the 'reg' is talking to. This happens all
>> the time with people who come into the bar and get into discussions
>> with a reg.
>>
>> That is more accurately what happens in this newsgroup.
>>
>> AND yes that is a clique because it fits the definition perfectly.
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clique
>>

> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
> the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
> and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
> the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
> and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

Thanks CF, I just did. Double dollop at that :) To hell with the
shotglass. Bottom third of a coffee mug looks good with Cruzan in it :)

> David Firewater wrote:
>> "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote
>>
>>> That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>>>
>>> You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of
>>> them
>>
>> gets
>>
>>> up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or
>>> someone you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up
>>> from the table and wander over to the bar and start berating the
>>> person the 'reg' is talking to.
>>

>> I only went over to the bar to help him carry the drinks back.
>> Thirsty work, this drinking lark.
>
> I was just getting a packet of peanuts and making sure David was Ok
> with the drinks - seemed to be a little unsteady on his feet...

He he he! See, tha;s why I nevr goit up! I'd fall flat on my face!
G'nite folks! [happily, I can just strand up from this cap'n chair,
turn a bit and fall into bed. Just got to be careful which direction I
fall :-\ ]
McG.

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Tell me what bar you go to so I can avoid it... That's not the way
> bars are here in Texas or any other state I've lived in.... Usually
> new people are greeted and if they're civil welcomed...

Nice way to miss a point.

Shawk wrote:
> David Firewater wrote:
>
>> "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote
>>
>>> That is a very poor analogy actually. How about this one
>>>
>>> You see a group of people in a pub gathered round a table, one of them
>>

>> gets
>>
>>> up and goes to the bar and starts a discussion with a stranger (or
>>> someone
>>> you know), all the guys at the table immediately get up from the
>>> table and
>>> wander over to the bar and start berating the person the 'reg' is
>>> talking
>>> to.
>>

>> I only went over to the bar to help him carry the drinks back. Thirsty
>> work,
>> this drinking lark.
>

> I was just getting a packet of peanuts and making sure David was Ok with
> the drinks - seemed to be a little unsteady on his feet...

Pleaee take this AGHL back packing and smilies off to the official
Strider forum. It really is nauseating.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Paul Catley wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>This AGHL group (Strider etc) : what connection, if any, do they have
>>with this newsgroup? Did they create it, moderate it and have "official"
>>ownership of this NG? I'm really confused because I see one or two
>>members of AGHL (the clique) talking about paying for a hosted server
>>and allowing other newsgroup participators to join in.
>>
>>What is the connection here?
>

> The connection is: you're a newsgroup regular, so you can join the hosted server
> if you want, same as anyone else. There is no mystery; nobody owns or moderates
> a newsgroup.
>
> Some of the people who style themselves AGHL don't actually inhabit the
> newsgroup: they are denizens of the chatroom set up by members of the NG, #aghl.

So, why dont they f*** off to their private forum instead of inundating
this NG with smutty drinking humour and mutual back slapping? This NG is
to discuss HL/HL2 not the latest crazy scheme for their private plans
for their latest password ideas for their poorly attended private website.

Sorry.

Walter Mitty wrote:

>> The connection is: you're a newsgroup regular, so you can join the
>> hosted server if you want, same as anyone else. There is no
>> mystery; nobody owns or moderates a newsgroup.
>>
>> Some of the people who style themselves AGHL don't actually inhabit
>> the newsgroup: they are denizens of the chatroom set up by members
>> of the NG, #aghl.
>
> So, why dont they f*** off to their private forum instead of
> inundating this NG with smutty drinking humour and mutual back
> slapping? This NG is to discuss HL/HL2 not the latest crazy scheme
> for their private plans
> for their latest password ideas for their poorly attended private
> website.
>
> Sorry.

The people I mentioned in my second paragraph never come here. What are you on
about?

The reasons why this newsgroup has an off-topic element have been explained time
and time again, and you've been here long enough to have grasped them. The
newsgroup has been here for 6 or 7 years, and in that time people have forged
friendships. There's nothing unusual about that; other newsgroups are the same.
Without the friendship and the banter, this NG would have died years before HL2
came out, as there was very little to talk about HL-wise in the intervening
years. Suggest you read the FAQ.

Strider's efforts to set up an AGHL server are a genuine attempt to help out the
people of this newsgroup, and is not restricted to the "clique" you hate so
much. You would be perfectly welcome to join the server. As I understand it,
it isn't only for those who have paid, but all contributions to help keep it
running would be welcome. If you don't want to take part, fine, but why the
hostility to the project?

--
Paul

shawk

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Shawk wrote:
>
>> David Firewater wrote:
>>
>>> "Ecole" <1@1.com> wrote

>>> gets

>>> I only went over to the bar to help him carry the drinks back.
>>> Thirsty work,
>>> this drinking lark.
>>

>> I was just getting a packet of peanuts and making sure David was Ok
>> with the drinks - seemed to be a little unsteady on his feet...
>>

> Pleaee take this AGHL back packing and smilies off to the official
> Strider forum. It really is nauseating.

Back packing? We going camping? Who's making the sandwiches?

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
> Pleaee take this AGHL back packing and smilies off to the official
> Strider forum. It really is nauseating.

Please go boil your head in piss, Walt... I find you nauseating. Why on
earth should we stop talking to each other and having a "larf" just cos a
relatively new poster doesn't like it? Of course, feel free to join in with
us or otherwise ignore us.
--

David Firewater wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
>
>>Pleaee take this AGHL back packing and smilies off to the official
>>Strider forum. It really is nauseating.
>

> Please go boil your head in piss, Walt... I find you nauseating. Why on
> earth should we stop talking to each other and having a "larf" just cos a
> relatively new poster doesn't like it? Of course, feel free to join in with
> us or otherwise ignore us.

And therein lies the crux of the matter. You see yourself as a sentinel
of this NG : I have been using usenet for years under various monikers -
the assumtpion you make of some sort of superiority based on "time here"
is wrong on two fronts (1) you havent and (2) so what.

This "having a larf" is invariably totally OT and based yround your own
little group : which is supposed to have its own web site anyway.

I'm sure you're all nice guys and all, but ffs, if I see another "Hey
:)Strider, mate, I drank some beer last night, mate :) and am really
wacky mate :)" post I'm going to throw up.

Paul Catley wrote:
> it isn't only for those who have paid, but all contributions to help keep it
> running would be welcome. If you don't want to take part, fine, but why the
> hostility to the project?

I have no problem with the project. None.