home network

I have 4 pc all networked. PC1 is the internet gateway. All Pc's can use
the net. But PC2,3,4 cannot logon to PC1 to use the shared drives or use the
printer. I get "Log On filed. You do not have requested authority for this
computer". Or words to that effect. I get this from PC2,3,4, but these 3
can access/use any shared drives on PC2,3,4. PC1 can access the others no
problem. PC2,3,4 seem to think PC1 is a server.
I have never used any passwords on any machine. The system used to work,
then didn't.
All pc's use XP Pro.
Please help, I have tried everything I know :((

Thanks,

al
2 answers Last reply
More about home network

    Apart from Internet Connection SHaring, you need to enable File Sharing or
    Disk Sharing.

    Right click on the Drive and look at the settings under SHARING AND SECURITY.

    "Al" wrote:

    > I have 4 pc all networked. PC1 is the internet gateway. All Pc's can use
    > the net. But PC2,3,4 cannot logon to PC1 to use the shared drives or use the
    > printer. I get "Log On filed. You do not have requested authority for this
    > computer". Or words to that effect. I get this from PC2,3,4, but these 3
    > can access/use any shared drives on PC2,3,4. PC1 can access the others no
    > problem. PC2,3,4 seem to think PC1 is a server.
    > I have never used any passwords on any machine. The system used to work,
    > then didn't.
    > All pc's use XP Pro.
    > Please help, I have tried everything I know :((
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > al

    Done all that.

    PC1 "glitched" last night and came back up as if Windows had just been
    installed. All emails/address' gone. even asking me if I wanted to take a
    tour of Windows. ICS still works though. But still cannot get the network
    to work. The following is the error from PC2,3,4 when trying to get onto pc1.
    PC1 is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this resource.
    Contact the Administrator of the Server.
    Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
    this computer.

    "BAR" wrote:

    > Apart from Internet Connection SHaring, you need to enable File Sharing or
    > Disk Sharing.
    >
    > Right click on the Drive and look at the settings under SHARING AND SECURITY.
    >
    > "Al" wrote:
    >
    > > I have 4 pc all networked. PC1 is the internet gateway. All Pc's can use
    > > the net. But PC2,3,4 cannot logon to PC1 to use the shared drives or use the
    > > printer. I get "Log On filed. You do not have requested authority for this
    > > computer". Or words to that effect. I get this from PC2,3,4, but these 3
    > > can access/use any shared drives on PC2,3,4. PC1 can access the others no
    > > problem. PC2,3,4 seem to think PC1 is a server.
    > > I have never used any passwords on any machine. The system used to work,
    > > then didn't.
    > > All pc's use XP Pro.
    > > Please help, I have tried everything I know :((
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > al

Windows XP