Need help making my Packard Bell PCI 2.2 compliant.

Award Modular BIOS v.4.51 PG
Packard Bell FR510 BIOS v.00.01.18
11/25/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
MOBO S/N: E093026283
Model: 930/950
Chipset Ali M1541 (GVC)

I have a PB running 160 MB RAM and Win 2k Pro SP4. I tried to install
the Wireless PCI Adapter after the SW itself was installed (per the
directions/manual), and upon reboot, the Hardware Found Wizard did NOT
detect the new Card.

I tried to manually install the card as well, but it is not listed even
though I select the correct /drivers directory in which it resides.

Based on the 930/950 manual, the PCI is only 2.1 Compliant, and Netgear
requires 2.2 Compliance, and I assume this is why the Card isn't being
recognized.

Would an easy solution be to upgrade the motherboard to the next ATX
iteration, I don't think updating the BIOS chip will have an affect,
but it's hard to tell based on what I've read.

Thanks for reading, I promised my 7 year old daughter that I'd have
internet in her room on this PC, and she's starting to doubt dear old
dad.
13 answers Last reply
More about need making packard bell compliant
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Thank you so much for the quick reply.

    I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
    PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
    entirely different and newer one.

    At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
    replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
    board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.

    Do you see this as a possibility as well?
    Once again, thanks ever so much.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    The limitation you are seeing is in the VIA Aladdin chipset. A BIOS upgrade
    will not get the system to PCI 2.2 compliance. Your best bet with WiFi on an
    older computer is to install a PCI-PCMCIA adapter card, then a notebook-style
    PCMCIA 802.11b card.

    Your second best bet is another brand of contemporary Wifi PCI card, but check
    the specs first. A Linksys card might work just fine.

    The third, and possibly worst, choice is a USB WiFi adapter. But your system's
    motherboard does not meet the USB 2.0 spec, so the WiFi might not run very fast.
    As with PCI, it would be best to check specs on any USB WiFi adapter you buy to
    make sure it can be used with USB 1.1... Ben Myers

    On 8 Dec 2004 14:36:38 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Award Modular BIOS v.4.51 PG
    >Packard Bell FR510 BIOS v.00.01.18
    >11/25/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
    >MOBO S/N: E093026283
    >Model: 930/950
    >Chipset Ali M1541 (GVC)
    >
    >I have a PB running 160 MB RAM and Win 2k Pro SP4. I tried to install
    >the Wireless PCI Adapter after the SW itself was installed (per the
    >directions/manual), and upon reboot, the Hardware Found Wizard did NOT
    >detect the new Card.
    >
    >I tried to manually install the card as well, but it is not listed even
    >though I select the correct /drivers directory in which it resides.
    >
    >Based on the 930/950 manual, the PCI is only 2.1 Compliant, and Netgear
    >requires 2.2 Compliance, and I assume this is why the Card isn't being
    >recognized.
    >
    >Would an easy solution be to upgrade the motherboard to the next ATX
    >iteration, I don't think updating the BIOS chip will have an affect,
    >but it's hard to tell based on what I've read.
    >
    >Thanks for reading, I promised my 7 year old daughter that I'd have
    >internet in her room on this PC, and she's starting to doubt dear old
    >dad.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Yes, a newer ATX or even micro-ATX board would do just fine. If you go for a
    Pentium 4 motherboard or boards with certain AMD CPUs, you need to replace the
    power supply with a Pentium 4-capable one. If the power supply is rated at less
    than 200 watts, replace it even with a Pentium 3 board... Ben Myers

    On 8 Dec 2004 17:49:34 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thank you so much for the quick reply.
    >
    >I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
    >PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
    >entirely different and newer one.
    >
    >At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
    >replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
    >board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.
    >
    >Do you see this as a possibility as well?
    >Once again, thanks ever so much.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
    check out their site firest
    www.dlink.com
    I use D link on an older system

    Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
    You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
    since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
    Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether for
    speed concerns

    > Yes, a newer ATX or even micro-ATX board would do just fine. If you go
    > for a
    > Pentium 4 motherboard or boards with certain AMD CPUs, you need to replace
    > the
    > power supply with a Pentium 4-capable one. If the power supply is rated
    > at less
    > than 200 watts, replace it even with a Pentium 3 board... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 8 Dec 2004 17:49:34 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thank you so much for the quick reply.
    >>
    >>I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
    >>PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
    >>entirely different and newer one.
    >>
    >>At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
    >>replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
    >>board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.
    >>
    >>Do you see this as a possibility as well?
    >>Once again, thanks ever so much.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
    Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
    already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
    rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
    and after rebate.

    For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
    so I'm all set on that front.

    I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
    it.

    I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
    in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
    whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
    Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
    is not very far from the router.

    Thanks,

    bd420
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
    > check out their site firest
    > www.dlink.com
    > I use D link on an older system
    >
    > Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
    > You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
    > since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
    > Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether
    > for speed concerns

    There is also a brand that runs well here in my home town. Called "Hawking"
    http://www.hawkingtech.com/ which is sold in CompUSA in New York.

    Cheaper in prices and easy to install. I was amazed when I just did a job
    where the guy bought this brand. But check the fact sheets.

    All sorts of products from this company.

    Elector
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it. I've also
    used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate standby.

    Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite well with one
    another.

    You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of PCI-PCMCIA adapter
    card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there are others
    kicking around out there.

    You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the specs first.
    Price is around $50.

    You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it doesn't all
    work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low street prices,
    Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 9 Dec 2004 06:03:25 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
    >Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
    >already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
    >rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
    >and after rebate.
    >
    >For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
    >so I'm all set on that front.
    >
    >I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
    >it.
    >
    >I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
    >in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
    >whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
    >Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
    >is not very far from the router.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >bd420

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
    That is the requirement of the card
    It is not a bios thing
    It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system

    If you bought the item from compusa or such
    it is returnable minus the 15% restocking

    Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered

    Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery for the
    card

    > I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it. I've
    > also
    > used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate standby.
    >
    > Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite well
    > with one
    > another.
    >
    > You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of PCI-PCMCIA
    > adapter
    > card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there are
    > others
    > kicking around out there.
    >
    > You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the specs
    > first.
    > Price is around $50.
    >
    > You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it doesn't
    > all
    > work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low street
    > prices,
    > Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 9 Dec 2004 06:03:25 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
    >>Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
    >>already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
    >>rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
    >>and after rebate.
    >>
    >>For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
    >>so I'm all set on that front.
    >>
    >>I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
    >>it.
    >>
    >>I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
    >>in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
    >>whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
    >>Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
    >>is not very far from the router.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>bd420

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I am always impressed with your succinct and helpful answers.

    Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
    That is the requirement of the card
    It is not a bios thing
    It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system

    If you bought the item from compusa or such
    it is returnable minus the 15% restocking

    Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered

    Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery for the
    card
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
    could slap onto an ATX MOBO?

    Thanks,

    bd
    metronid wrote:
> [...]
    > >>already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30
    after
    > >>rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift
    certificate,
    > >>and after rebate.
    > >>
    > >>For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI
    adapters,
    > >>so I'm all set on that front.
    > >>
    > >>I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card,
    that's
    > >>it.
    > >>
    > >>I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless
    coverage
    > >>in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for
    me,
    > >>whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys
    and
    > >>Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    I forgot. A micro ATX motherboard supporting sub-2.0v Socket 370 CPUs would
    work, too... Ben Myers

    On 11 Dec 2004 12:22:49 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
    >could slap onto an ATX MOBO?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >bd
    >metronid wrote:
    >> Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
    >> That is the requirement of the card
    >> It is not a bios thing
    >> It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system
    >>
    >> If you bought the item from compusa or such
    >> it is returnable minus the 15% restocking
    >>
    >> Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered
    >>

    >> Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery
    >for the
    >> card
    >>

    >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> > I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it.
    >I've
    >> > also
    >> > used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate
    >standby.
    >> >
    >> > Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite
    >well
    >> > with one
    >> > another.
    >> >
    >> > You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of
    >PCI-PCMCIA
    >> > adapter
    >> > card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there
    >are
    >> > others
    >> > kicking around out there.
    >> >
    >> > You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the
    >specs
    >> > first.
    >> > Price is around $50.
    >> >
    >> > You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it
    >doesn't
    >> > all
    >> > work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low
    >street
    >> > prices,
    >> > Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
    >> >
    >> > ... Ben Myers

    >Notebook
    >after
    >certificate,

    >adapters,

    >that's

    >coverage
    >me,
    >and
    >coverage

  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Yes, provided that the ATX motherboard is a Socket 370 capable of supporting the
    sub-2.0v power requirement of a Celery 633. Earlier Socket 370 CPUs operated at
    2.0v, and many earlier Socket 370 motherboards were designed very shortsightedly
    for just the 2v CPUs... Ben Myers

    On 11 Dec 2004 12:22:49 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
    >could slap onto an ATX MOBO?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >bd
    >metronid wrote:
    >> Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
    >> That is the requirement of the card
    >> It is not a bios thing
    >> It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system
    >>
    >> If you bought the item from compusa or such
    >> it is returnable minus the 15% restocking
    >>
    >> Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered
    >>

    >> Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery
    >for the
    >> card
    >>

    >> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> > I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it.
    >I've
    >> > also
    >> > used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate
    >standby.
    >> >
    >> > Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite
    >well
    >> > with one
    >> > another.
    >> >
    >> > You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of
    >PCI-PCMCIA
    >> > adapter
    >> > card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there
    >are
    >> > others
    >> > kicking around out there.
    >> >
    >> > You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the
    >specs
    >> > first.
    >> > Price is around $50.
    >> >
    >> > You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it
    >doesn't
    >> > all
    >> > work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low
    >street
    >> > prices,
    >> > Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
    >> >
    >> > ... Ben Myers

    >Notebook
    >after
    >certificate,

    >adapters,

    >that's

    >coverage
    >me,
    >and
    >coverage

  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    is 90 Watts, which I'm reading is pretty bad, ie, 200 and 300 Watts is
    the newer norm.

    How do I know that a newer ATX MOBO will play well with a 90 Watt Power
    Supply? Is there a Compliance chart for which MOBO will work with
    which Wattage Power Supplies?

    Another way of asking this question is, what 'could' happen if I place
    a relatively newer 7.5 x 12 inch Form Factor ATX Board in this machine
    and it's too much for the 90 Watt Power Supply?

    Thanks, and once again, EVERYTHING about this machine would have been
    just perfect, had the PCI Slot been 2.2 compliant; I seek NO other
    upgrade whatsoever, I'm completely content with everything about this
    free machine, I just need to find a 7.5 x 12 inch MOBO that has a PCI
    2.2 Compliant, and will be ok with the current 90 Watt PSU (Power
    Supply Unit).

Packard Bell PCI BIOS Computers Product