Need help making my Packard Bell PCI 2.2 compliant.

Last response: in Computer Brands
December 8, 2004 5:36:38 PM

Award Modular BIOS v.4.51 PG
Packard Bell FR510 BIOS v.00.01.18
11/25/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
MOBO S/N: E093026283
Model: 930/950
Chipset Ali M1541 (GVC)

I have a PB running 160 MB RAM and Win 2k Pro SP4. I tried to install
the Wireless PCI Adapter after the SW itself was installed (per the
directions/manual), and upon reboot, the Hardware Found Wizard did NOT
detect the new Card.

I tried to manually install the card as well, but it is not listed even
though I select the correct /drivers directory in which it resides.

Based on the 930/950 manual, the PCI is only 2.1 Compliant, and Netgear
requires 2.2 Compliance, and I assume this is why the Card isn't being
recognized.

Would an easy solution be to upgrade the motherboard to the next ATX
iteration, I don't think updating the BIOS chip will have an affect,
but it's hard to tell based on what I've read.

Thanks for reading, I promised my 7 year old daughter that I'd have
internet in her room on this PC, and she's starting to doubt dear old
dad.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 8:49:34 PM

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
entirely different and newer one.

At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.

Do you see this as a possibility as well?
Once again, thanks ever so much.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 2:04:11 AM

The limitation you are seeing is in the VIA Aladdin chipset. A BIOS upgrade
will not get the system to PCI 2.2 compliance. Your best bet with WiFi on an
older computer is to install a PCI-PCMCIA adapter card, then a notebook-style
PCMCIA 802.11b card.

Your second best bet is another brand of contemporary Wifi PCI card, but check
the specs first. A Linksys card might work just fine.

The third, and possibly worst, choice is a USB WiFi adapter. But your system's
motherboard does not meet the USB 2.0 spec, so the WiFi might not run very fast.
As with PCI, it would be best to check specs on any USB WiFi adapter you buy to
make sure it can be used with USB 1.1... Ben Myers

On 8 Dec 2004 14:36:38 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Award Modular BIOS v.4.51 PG
>Packard Bell FR510 BIOS v.00.01.18
>11/25/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKG5DC-00
>MOBO S/N: E093026283
>Model: 930/950
>Chipset Ali M1541 (GVC)
>
>I have a PB running 160 MB RAM and Win 2k Pro SP4. I tried to install
>the Wireless PCI Adapter after the SW itself was installed (per the
>directions/manual), and upon reboot, the Hardware Found Wizard did NOT
>detect the new Card.
>
>I tried to manually install the card as well, but it is not listed even
>though I select the correct /drivers directory in which it resides.
>
>Based on the 930/950 manual, the PCI is only 2.1 Compliant, and Netgear
>requires 2.2 Compliance, and I assume this is why the Card isn't being
>recognized.
>
>Would an easy solution be to upgrade the motherboard to the next ATX
>iteration, I don't think updating the BIOS chip will have an affect,
>but it's hard to tell based on what I've read.
>
>Thanks for reading, I promised my 7 year old daughter that I'd have
>internet in her room on this PC, and she's starting to doubt dear old
>dad.

December 9, 2004 4:59:25 AM

Yes, a newer ATX or even micro-ATX board would do just fine. If you go for a
Pentium 4 motherboard or boards with certain AMD CPUs, you need to replace the
power supply with a Pentium 4-capable one. If the power supply is rated at less
than 200 watts, replace it even with a Pentium 3 board... Ben Myers

On 8 Dec 2004 17:49:34 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you so much for the quick reply.
>
>I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
>PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
>entirely different and newer one.
>
>At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
>replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
>board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.
>
>Do you see this as a possibility as well?
>Once again, thanks ever so much.

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 4:59:26 AM

D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
check out their site firest
www.dlink.com
I use D link on an older system

Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether for
speed concerns

> Yes, a newer ATX or even micro-ATX board would do just fine. If you go
> for a
> Pentium 4 motherboard or boards with certain AMD CPUs, you need to replace
> the
> power supply with a Pentium 4-capable one. If the power supply is rated
> at less
> than 200 watts, replace it even with a Pentium 3 board... Ben Myers
>
> On 8 Dec 2004 17:49:34 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you so much for the quick reply.
>>
>>I was afraid that any sort of BIOS upgrade wouldn't help, even though
>>PB support said the BIOS Chip itself was PLCC, ie, replaceable with an
>>entirely different and newer one.
>>
>>At any rate, you mention 3 options, I'm also wondering if I couldn't
>>replace the ATX Form Fit (12 x 7.5) MotherBoard with the next iteration
>>board that IS PCI 2.2 compliant.
>>
>>Do you see this as a possibility as well?
>>Once again, thanks ever so much.

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:03:25 AM

I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
and after rebate.

For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
so I'm all set on that front.

I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
it.

I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
is not very far from the router.

Thanks,

bd420
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 3:45:00 PM

"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
>D LINK USB wireless adapter is compatible
> check out their site firest
> www.dlink.com
> I use D link on an older system
>
> Their pci cards are 2.2 which is a no go
> You will never see the difference for a 802.11b vs 802.11g
> since both a greater than the badwidth of your provider
> Now if you use ad hoc peer to peer than that is another thing altogether
> for speed concerns

There is also a brand that runs well here in my home town. Called "Hawking"
http://www.hawkingtech.com/ which is sold in CompUSA in New York.

Cheaper in prices and easy to install. I was amazed when I just did a job
where the guy bought this brand. But check the fact sheets.

All sorts of products from this company.

Elector
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 5:19:25 PM

I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it. I've also
used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate standby.

Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite well with one
another.

You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of PCI-PCMCIA adapter
card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there are others
kicking around out there.

You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the specs first.
Price is around $50.

You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it doesn't all
work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low street prices,
Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.

.... Ben Myers

On 9 Dec 2004 06:03:25 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
>Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
>already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
>rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
>and after rebate.
>
>For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
>so I'm all set on that front.
>
>I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
>it.
>
>I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
>in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
>whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
>Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
>is not very far from the router.
>
>Thanks,
>
>bd420

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 7:00:47 PM

Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
That is the requirement of the card
It is not a bios thing
It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system

If you bought the item from compusa or such
it is returnable minus the 15% restocking

Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered

Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery for the
card

> I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it. I've
> also
> used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate standby.
>
> Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite well
> with one
> another.
>
> You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of PCI-PCMCIA
> adapter
> card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there are
> others
> kicking around out there.
>
> You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the specs
> first.
> Price is around $50.
>
> You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it doesn't
> all
> work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low street
> prices,
> Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On 9 Dec 2004 06:03:25 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I already Purchased a Netgear Wireless Router that came with a Notebook
>>Card (in which I don't have a need for right now) for $20. I also
>>already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30 after
>>rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift certificate,
>>and after rebate.
>>
>>For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI adapters,
>>so I'm all set on that front.
>>
>>I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card, that's
>>it.
>>
>>I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless coverage
>>in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for me,
>>whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys and
>>Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless coverage
>>is not very far from the router.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>bd420

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 1:57:07 PM

I am always impressed with your succinct and helpful answers.

"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o dKdnagFSeWdICXcRVn-hg@comcast.com...

Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
That is the requirement of the card
It is not a bios thing
It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system

If you bought the item from compusa or such
it is returnable minus the 15% restocking

Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered

Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery for the
card
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:22:49 PM

Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
could slap onto an ATX MOBO?

Thanks,

bd
metronid wrote:
> [...]
> >>already purchased 2 Netgear Wireless PCI Adapters, one was $30
after
> >>rebate, the other was free after I used a $30 store gift
certificate,
> >>and after rebate.
> >>
> >>For $50, I have a wireless router, a Notebook card, and 2 PCI
adapters,
> >>so I'm all set on that front.
> >>
> >>I just need this older ATX Form Factor to recognize the card,
that's
> >>it.
> >>
> >>I've heard very good things in regards to Netgear and wireless
coverage
> >>in terms of distance from the router, which is fairly essential for
me,
> >>whereas I haven't heard similar good things in regards to LinkSys
and
> >>Belkin from people I know that have tried those, ie, wireless

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:17:46 AM

I forgot. A micro ATX motherboard supporting sub-2.0v Socket 370 CPUs would
work, too... Ben Myers

On 11 Dec 2004 12:22:49 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
>could slap onto an ATX MOBO?
>
>Thanks,
>
>bd
>metronid wrote:
>> Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
>> That is the requirement of the card
>> It is not a bios thing
>> It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system
>>
>> If you bought the item from compusa or such
>> it is returnable minus the 15% restocking
>>
>> Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered
>>

>> Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery
>for the
>> card
>>

>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it.
>I've
>> > also
>> > used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate
>standby.
>> >
>> > Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite
>well
>> > with one
>> > another.
>> >
>> > You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of
>PCI-PCMCIA
>> > adapter
>> > card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there
>are
>> > others
>> > kicking around out there.
>> >
>> > You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the
>specs
>> > first.
>> > Price is around $50.
>> >
>> > You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it
>doesn't
>> > all
>> > work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low
>street
>> > prices,
>> > Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
>> >
>> > ... Ben Myers

>Notebook
>after
>certificate,

>adapters,

>that's

>coverage
>me,
>and
>coverage

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:17:46 AM

Yes, provided that the ATX motherboard is a Socket 370 capable of supporting the
sub-2.0v power requirement of a Celery 633. Earlier Socket 370 CPUs operated at
2.0v, and many earlier Socket 370 motherboards were designed very shortsightedly
for just the 2v CPUs... Ben Myers

On 11 Dec 2004 12:22:49 -0800, "bd420" <bd420@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Requirement. I do have an old Celeron 633 CPU laying around that I
>could slap onto an ATX MOBO?
>
>Thanks,
>
>bd
>metronid wrote:
>> Sorry to say the fact is your unit will never be PCI 2.2
>> That is the requirement of the card
>> It is not a bios thing
>> It is the PCI chipset that is part of your system
>>
>> If you bought the item from compusa or such
>> it is returnable minus the 15% restocking
>>
>> Usb is your only hope with certain cost constriants considered
>>

>> Then there is Ebay to sell what you have and do a partial recovery
>for the
>> card
>>

>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > I've used lots of Linksys gear and had very few problems with it.
>I've
>> > also
>> > used Proxim Orinoco Gold cards, an older business/corporate
>standby.
>> >
>> > Suffice it to say that different brands of WiFi interoperate quite
>well
>> > with one
>> > another.
>> >
>> > You might try that Netgear notebook card in another brand of
>PCI-PCMCIA
>> > adapter
>> > card. AFAIK, Netgear does not make PCI-PCMCIA adapters, but there
>are
>> > others
>> > kicking around out there.
>> >
>> > You might also try a Linksys 802.11b or g PCI card, but check the
>specs
>> > first.
>> > Price is around $50.
>> >
>> > You may have gotten great prices on the Netgear stuff, but if it
>doesn't
>> > all
>> > work, the price does not look as great any more. For it's low
>street
>> > prices,
>> > Netgear seems to have sacrificed motherboards with older PCI specs.
>> >
>> > ... Ben Myers

>Notebook
>after
>certificate,

>adapters,

>that's

>coverage
>me,
>and
>coverage

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:08:59 PM

is 90 Watts, which I'm reading is pretty bad, ie, 200 and 300 Watts is
the newer norm.

How do I know that a newer ATX MOBO will play well with a 90 Watt Power
Supply? Is there a Compliance chart for which MOBO will work with
which Wattage Power Supplies?

Another way of asking this question is, what 'could' happen if I place
a relatively newer 7.5 x 12 inch Form Factor ATX Board in this machine
and it's too much for the 90 Watt Power Supply?

Thanks, and once again, EVERYTHING about this machine would have been
just perfect, had the PCI Slot been 2.2 compliant; I seek NO other
upgrade whatsoever, I'm completely content with everything about this
free machine, I just need to find a 7.5 x 12 inch MOBO that has a PCI
2.2 Compliant, and will be ok with the current 90 Watt PSU (Power
Supply Unit).

!