TV tuner card recommendations ATI or ???

Hi

I'm upgrading/replacing my old ATI AIW 7500 with an ATI 9800 pro 128 to be
able to hook up two monitors.

This swap is going to cause me to loose my TV tuner in the AIW 7500.

Are the ATI stand alone tuner cards comparable to the functionality of the
AIW cards.

Also are there better choices than ATI for tuner cards??

I noticed the only difference in ATI tuner cards is one model has stereo and
one does not. I don't need the remote feature and probably could reuse the
one that came with the AIW 7500.

Thanks. Martin
5 answers Last reply
More about tuner card recommendations

    Are the ATI stand alone tuner cards comparable to the functionality of the
    AIW cards.

    Yes is the short answer.

    Also are there better choices than ATI for tuner cards??
    check around you dont have to have a ATI TV card just look for one that has
    every thing you need and want built in. i have the winfast tv 2000 xp and it
    works fine. i also have the ati tv wonder. both are good cards but the
    winfast had what i was looking for pic in pic.

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    "Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm upgrading/replacing my old ATI AIW 7500 with an ATI 9800 pro 128 to be
    > able to hook up two monitors.
    >
    > This swap is going to cause me to loose my TV tuner in the AIW 7500.
    >
    > Are the ATI stand alone tuner cards comparable to the functionality of the
    > AIW cards.
    >
    > Also are there better choices than ATI for tuner cards??
    >
    > I noticed the only difference in ATI tuner cards is one model has stereo
    and
    > one does not. I don't need the remote feature and probably could reuse the
    > one that came with the AIW 7500.
    >

    > Thanks. Martin

    "Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Also are there better choices than ATI for tuner cards??

    Here's my 2 cents worth. I have in the past had an ATI TV card and the
    picture quality was 'OK'...granted that was in the days of 98SE. Since that
    time I have had experience with a couple of Pinnacle cards...a PCTV (which
    is now in my box of 'spare stuff' because of issues with XP), and more
    recently a PCTV Pro, which replaced the previously mentioned basic PCTV
    card, and which is currently working in a friend's computer. I then
    purchased a Hauppauge WinTV Radio card (side of box says WinTV-dbx Model
    401) for my computer, and am currently using it. For a period of time these
    two computers resided in adjacent rooms and I was able to stand in the
    hallway and look back and forth at the screens. I was of the opinion that
    the pic quality was about the same with a slight edge to the Hauppauge. This
    was using Hauppauge drivers and their WinTV2000 viewing program. Since then
    I have done some experimenting and I now use the latest Hauppauge drivers
    but, for the viewing program, I use Dscaler version 4.1.8 Beta. This is a
    gem and gives a noticably superior picture over the WinTV2000. This can be
    found at www.dscaler.com

    It appears, from what I have read in various forums, that people who are
    into Home Theatre Personal Computers (HTPC), the gold standard is the
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR250. As I understand it there is more third party
    (quality) software available for this card than any other. I did not get the
    PVR250 since being able to record was not as important at the time as
    price...the 250 is a tad expensive for what I want to do which is watch
    TV...plain and simple. On a related note, I recently bought a Toshiba P10
    laptop which comes with XP Media Centre Edition. As such it comes with a TV
    tuner...in this case a USB model. It looks slick and has Toshiba embossed on
    it. I connected it and was *very* impressed with the picture quality and how
    smoothly the software worked. I thought nothing more of it until this very
    evening, when I learned this unit is made by Hauppauge and is actually a
    WinTV PVR USB2 housed in a different case.

    A site that might be helpful in your quest is www.tv-cards.com .

    HTH

    i also have both set up at the same time in same room so i can see the tv
    quality at same time and the tv 2000 is a littel better than the ati tv
    wonder.
    both have good points and bad points. the tv 2000 will not run on my 2nd
    monitor no mater what.
    "i run 2 dual monitor systems both with tv cards installed and KDS monitors"
    the ati tv wonder runs on 2nd monitor with no problems. but the tv 2000 has
    pic in pic that i like and it works better with my cam corder for some
    reason. ati tv wonder works great as desk top viewing but the tv2000 has the
    shadows around icons and dont work that great as desk top vewing in back
    ground.

    if i had to pick one tv card i would take the winfast tv2000 due to the pic
    in pic and over all tv quality.
    it realy depends on what you want the card to do?
    your getting a 9800 for dual monitors so if you want to get it working on
    the 2nd monitor i would have to say go ati tv wonder "get the one with
    stereo it make a diferance in sound big time" its the only one i have gotten
    to work on 2nd display. but if you can live with tv only on 1st display then
    get the tv2000

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    "mudz" <mudz@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Also are there better choices than ATI for tuner cards??
    > >

    > Here's my 2 cents worth. I have in the past had an ATI TV card and the
    > picture quality was 'OK'...granted that was in the days of 98SE. Since
    that
    > time I have had experience with a couple of Pinnacle cards...a PCTV (which
    > is now in my box of 'spare stuff' because of issues with XP), and more
    > recently a PCTV Pro, which replaced the previously mentioned basic PCTV
    > card, and which is currently working in a friend's computer. I then
    > purchased a Hauppauge WinTV Radio card (side of box says WinTV-dbx Model
    > 401) for my computer, and am currently using it. For a period of time
    these
    > two computers resided in adjacent rooms and I was able to stand in the
    > hallway and look back and forth at the screens. I was of the opinion that
    > the pic quality was about the same with a slight edge to the Hauppauge.
    This
    > was using Hauppauge drivers and their WinTV2000 viewing program. Since
    then
    > I have done some experimenting and I now use the latest Hauppauge drivers
    > but, for the viewing program, I use Dscaler version 4.1.8 Beta. This is a
    > gem and gives a noticably superior picture over the WinTV2000. This can be
    > found at www.dscaler.com
    >
    > It appears, from what I have read in various forums, that people who are
    > into Home Theatre Personal Computers (HTPC), the gold standard is the
    > Hauppauge WinTV PVR250. As I understand it there is more third party
    > (quality) software available for this card than any other. I did not get
    the
    > PVR250 since being able to record was not as important at the time as
    > price...the 250 is a tad expensive for what I want to do which is watch
    > TV...plain and simple. On a related note, I recently bought a Toshiba P10
    > laptop which comes with XP Media Centre Edition. As such it comes with a
    TV
    > tuner...in this case a USB model. It looks slick and has Toshiba embossed
    on
    > it. I connected it and was *very* impressed with the picture quality and
    how
    > smoothly the software worked. I thought nothing more of it until this very
    > evening, when I learned this unit is made by Hauppauge and is actually a
    > WinTV PVR USB2 housed in a different case.
    >
    > A site that might be helpful in your quest is www.tv-cards.com .
    >
    > HTH

    this may help on picking a card
    http://www.leadtek.com.tw/multimedia/winfast_tv2000xp_expert_1.shtml
    its a 10 bit card where as the ati is a 8 bit go to both sites and do some
    reading

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    "Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the
    > > PVR250 since being able to record was not as important at the time as
    > > price...the 250 is a tad expensive for what I want to do which is watch
    > > TV...plain and simple. On a related note, I recently bought a Toshiba
    P10
    > > laptop which comes with XP Media Centre Edition. As such it comes with a
    > TV
    > > tuner...in this case a USB model. It looks slick and has Toshiba embosse
    > on
    > > it. I connected it and was *very* impressed with the picture quality and
    > how
    > > smoothly the software worked. I thought nothing more of it until this
    very
    > > evening, when I learned this unit is made by Hauppauge and is actually a
    > > WinTV PVR USB2 housed in a different case.

    The newer TV Wonder Pro has a new chipset and 10 bit video decoder - one of
    the advantages over the older TV Wonder and TV Wonder VE.

    Paul
> [...]
    > > > price...the 250 is a tad expensive for what I want to do which is
    watch
    > > > TV...plain and simple. On a related note, I recently bought a Toshiba
    > P10
    > > > laptop which comes with XP Media Centre Edition. As such it comes with
    > > TV
    > > > tuner...in this case a USB model. It looks slick and has Toshiba
    embosse
    > > on
    > > > it. I connected it and was *very* impressed with the picture quality
    and
    > > how
    > > > smoothly the software worked. I thought nothing more of it until this
    > very
    > > > evening, when I learned this unit is made by Hauppauge and is actually
    > > > WinTV PVR USB2 housed in a different case.

Radeon TV Tuner Tuner Cards ATI Graphics