Warranty for 9800 pro?

I have a radeon 9800 pro 128 that I bought about 8 months ago. Last week
the Fan quit and I think it has really done some damage to the card because
all the graphics are garbled. Anyway, I was just reading on the ATI web
site that some cards have anywhere between 1 yr and 5 yr warranties. Can
anyone tell me how long the warranty is good for on this card and since the
fan stopped, would this be covered under warranty? I don't believe dust
could cause this because I dust my computer out once a week and I have
plenty of air flow in my system.
Thanks.
Thomas

What you described should be covered by the warranty.

You don't say if you have a "built-by" card (entire card actually made
by ATI) or a "powered by" card (card itself not made by ATI but uses an
ATI chip).

ATI is only the warranty for "built by" cards. If you have a "powered
by" card, the warranty comes from the manufacturer of the card, not from
ATI (and, possibly, from the seller of the card). It should be a year
or more, but who knows.

If it's a "built by" card, you should not have any problems getting it
repaired / replaced. I've had to return nearly a dozen cards to ATI
over the years, they have been very good about it and are relatively
fast (expect to have a card back from them in about 10 days).

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 22:35:06 -0500, "TJar" <grayrock@NSccrtc.com>
wrote:

:>I have a radeon 9800 pro 128 that I bought about 8 months ago. Last week
:>the Fan quit and I think it has really done some damage to the card because
:>all the graphics are garbled. Anyway, I was just reading on the ATI web
:>site that some cards have anywhere between 1 yr and 5 yr warranties. Can
:>anyone tell me how long the warranty is good for on this card and since the
:>fan stopped, would this be covered under warranty? I don't believe dust
:>could cause this because I dust my computer out once a week and I have
:>plenty of air flow in my system.
:>Thanks.
:>Thomas
:>

If you go to ATI's website there is a place where you can check the
warranty status of your card by entering the model number and serial
number from the label on the back of the card. It will tell you if
the card is "ATI Built" or "ATI Powered" and if the card is under
warranty from ATI or not. I had a Sapphire OEM 9700 Pro go bad on me
a while back. When I entered the part number and serial number
information on ATI's site it came back and told that my card was
actually an "ATI Built" card and not an "ATI Powered" card. BTW, the
card came in a plain white box and included a Sapphire driver CD. I
filled out the RMA request online and got an email with the RMA
information about an hour later. I shipped the card off to ATI and
had a replacement back in a little over a week. They actually shipped
the new card back on a Friday using overnight Saturday delivery.

me/2

PS: This goes along with the information posted quite often that
Sapphire actually builds the "ATI Built" cards.

Well, I did some checking and it is a BUILT BY ATI Card.
I completed a request on the ATI site for RMA and recieved a e-mail on how
to return the card for repair or replacement. So I am assuming that it is
covered under the warranty. :)
Thanks everyone.
Tom