Auto Macro?

Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this is a
bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?
--
thank you for your help:-)
6 answers Last reply

    Cj wrote:

    > Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this
    > is a bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?

    When in doubt, Google the name. Using the search term, "Auto Macro", I
    get a lot of links indicating this is a shareware program to create
    macros. You or someone in your family downloaded and installed it. I
    have no idea if that particular program comes with spyware in it, but I
    suspect it is rather a case of Counter Spy being protective because
    macros are well-known entries for viruses and malware. This does *not*
    mean that Auto Macro is doing that. If you use the program and your
    full-featured av has not complained about it, then I would set it to
    "exclude" in Counter Spy. Before you do that, you should definitely
    determine from where you got Auto Macro and if you didn't install it,
    who did. Research first.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    okay guys thank you for the information. i will print this all out and get
    back to you all....:-)
    "Malke" wrote:

    > Cj wrote:
    >
    > > Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this
    > > is a bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?
    >
    > When in doubt, Google the name. Using the search term, "Auto Macro", I
    > get a lot of links indicating this is a shareware program to create
    > macros. You or someone in your family downloaded and installed it. I
    > have no idea if that particular program comes with spyware in it, but I
    > suspect it is rather a case of Counter Spy being protective because
    > macros are well-known entries for viruses and malware. This does *not*
    > mean that Auto Macro is doing that. If you use the program and your
    > full-featured av has not complained about it, then I would set it to
    > "exclude" in Counter Spy. Before you do that, you should definitely
    > determine from where you got Auto Macro and if you didn't install it,
    > who did. Research first.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    What file ?

    You provided a name "Auto Macro" not a file name.

    Please perform the following....

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt408.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    "Cj" <Cj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this is a
    | bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?
    | --
    | thank you for your help:-)

    Registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local App\Wizard-Gemerated
    Applications\Verizon Installations\Recent File List
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalAppWizard-Generated
    Applications\Verizon Installation\Settings
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalAppWizard-Generated
    Applications HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalApplications\Verizon
    Installations

    ok here is what it find...now i understand where it came from...yesterday i
    was having trouble with my modem and i called verizon for help she had me
    doing all kinds of stuff..so she must have put this in here. so how do i get
    rid of it once and for all? it keeps coming back even if i quarantine
    it....thanks for the help and for the fast reply:-)

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > What file ?
    >
    > You provided a name "Auto Macro" not a file name.
    >
    > Please perform the following....
    >
    > 1) Download the following three items...
    >
    > Trend Sysclean Package
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
    >
    > Latest Trend Pattern File.
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
    >
    > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >
    > Create a directory.
    > On drive "C:\"
    > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    > or the desktop
    > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
    >
    > Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    > For example; lpt408.zip
    >
    > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
    > sysclean.com.
    >
    > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    > 3) Disable System Restore
    > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
    > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    > 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    > (a few cycles may be needed)
    > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    > 8) Reboot your PC.
    > 9) Create a new Restore point
    >

    > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Cj" <Cj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this is a
    > | bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?
    > | --
    > | thank you for your help:-)

    I have news for you as a Verizon DSL user. You don't need *any* Verizon software except
    WinPOET if you are using PPPoE. If you use a Cable/DSL Router then NO software including
    WinPOET is needed !

    --

    | Registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Local App\Wizard-Gemerated
    | Applications\Verizon Installations\Recent File List
    | HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalAppWizard-Generated
    | Applications\Verizon Installation\Settings
    | HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalAppWizard-Generated
    | Applications HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LocalApplications\Verizon
    | Installations
    |
    | ok here is what it find...now i understand where it came from...yesterday i
    | was having trouble with my modem and i called verizon for help she had me
    | doing all kinds of stuff..so she must have put this in here. so how do i get
    | rid of it once and for all? it keeps coming back even if i quarantine
    | it....thanks for the help and for the fast reply:-)
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > What file ?
    | >
    | > You provided a name "Auto Macro" not a file name.
    | >
    | > Please perform the following....
    | >
    | > 1) Download the following three items...
    | >
    | > Trend Sysclean Package
    | > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
    | >
    | > Latest Trend Pattern File.
    | > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
    | >
    | > Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    | > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    | >
    | > Create a directory.
    | > On drive "C:\"
    | > (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    | > or the desktop
    | > (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
    | >
    | > Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    | > Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    | > For example; lpt408.zip
    | >
    | > Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as
    | > sysclean.com.
    | >
    | > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    | > 3) Disable System Restore
    | > http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm
    | > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    | > 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    | > platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    | > (a few cycles may be needed)
    | > 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    | > Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    | > 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    | > (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    | > 8) Reboot your PC.
    | > 9) Create a new Restore point
    | >

    | > * * * Please report your results ! * * *
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | >

    | > "Cj" <Cj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi i'm new to this group. my spyware (Counter Spy) is telling me this is a
    | > | bad file? Auto Macro? is it okay to delete this?
    | > | --
    | > | thank you for your help:-)

    Dave i did the what ya said to do and it found no virus at all...and it did
    not have to clean any files. yesterday i had to reinstall Windows XP.i don't
    have cable dsl. maybe sometime i will switch.
    by the way before i did this scan i find this virus called brutus-v-b2.exe
    i find it scaning with my counter spy....the file C:\\windows\uninst.exe is
    there a website where i can check and see what programs are surpose to be
    starting up with windows xp home edtion? my pc is kinda slow ....thanks
    dave:-)

Macros Security Microsoft Windows XP