ATI 9800 Pro Locking up games

Works great until I go into any game, then locks up the pc ATI tech
says to upgrade the AGP port driver......but there isn't one for my
Intel D850EMV2 MB told them that and all they said was "your not
looking in the right spot" called Intel they said " Nope we
don't'support that board anymore"...Has anyone found a workaround? I've
read things about the power supply being under powered...mine is a
420Watt.... dont' think that could be it. All the latest drivers were
installed.

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the MB but what a pain. Checking
here first before I go through that.

TIA
Dave

Has anyone had the same problem and upgraded thier AGP port driver and
gotten the board to work?

"Dave Cox" <dcox@onramp113.org> wrote in message
> but there isn't one for my
> Intel D850EMV2 MB told them that and all they said was "your not
> looking in the right spot" called Intel they said " Nope we
> don't'support that board anymore"

Yikes! That sounds like something I would expect Sony to say, not Intel!

It might be time to upgrade the MB. Have you tried this page:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=828

I assume that you have the chipset driver from that page installed. Try
closing all other programs, and run msconfig to be sure that all processes
are stopped at startup. You say all games so does that include all new games
or do older games run properly? Any problems with screensavers such as more
graphic intensive ones? 420w is fine for the PS and you might have to swap
in another MB.

Regards,
John O.

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in

> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?Produ
> ctID=828

Thanks for the response......Yes I have dowloaded and installed that
chipset update.......the agp portion of it is not included for some
reason. The screen savers will lock the PC up after a few minutes ( the
ati supplied ones) Yes tried turning off all procedures I can, No
help.

Can run UT2004 in safemode

Dave

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Xns9531442519ABCdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44>, Dave Cox <dcox@onramp113.org> wrote:
>Works great until I go into any game, then locks up the pc ATI tech
>says to upgrade the AGP port driver......but there isn't one for my
>Intel D850EMV2 MB told them that and all they said was "your not
>looking in the right spot" called Intel they said " Nope we
>don't'support that board anymore"...Has anyone found a workaround? I've
>read things about the power supply being under powered...mine is a
>420Watt.... dont' think that could be it. All the latest drivers were
>installed.
>
>I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the MB but what a pain. Checking
>here first before I go through that.
>
>TIA
>Dave
>
>Has anyone had the same problem and upgraded thier AGP port driver and
>gotten the board to work?

Its right here!!!!
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/

Bios update
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/mv2_bios.htm

Drivers
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/mv2_drive.htm

This is the specific chipset INF driver set you need if you have XP
ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/infinst_enu.exe

I'm curious how do you know it's the ATI 9800 Pro? The reason I ask I've
been having that problem with the advent of warm weather. Taking the side
off the case off solves the problem. The card always ran hot and the
addition of an Artic Cooler didn't help.

So now I"m looking at CPU temperatre and possibly ram overheating. I
recently bought a new case, added fan ventilation front and back as well as
round IDE cables.

"Joe Blow" <joe@blow.com> wrote in

> I'm curious how do you know it's the ATI 9800 Pro? The reason I
> ask I've been having that problem with the advent of warm weather.
> Taking the side off the case off solves the problem. The card
> always ran hot and the addition of an Artic Cooler didn't help.
>
> So now I"m looking at CPU temperatre and possibly ram overheating.
> I recently bought a new case, added fan ventilation front and
> back as well as round IDE cables.

Just got the card........everything worked fine until I put it in. Put
my old card back in and no problems. My old card is a Hercules 9700
pro.....that card worked great up until 3 days after the warranty
(after it warms up I get screen clutter/garbage)

As far as the other post of the guy who gave me the links to Intel
website I installed all those prior to posting the original question.
the dates of those updates are mid 2001. ATI says they are to old
But thanks for taking the time to look for them. I know i said there
were no updates......but I was a little confused because the dates on
the updates were so old. This MB is no longer supported by Intel as per
thier website.

So now I have to decide if I take the 9800 back pay the restocking
fee.....get another card or keep it and buy a new MB and new ram
(512mb). From what I seen the newest MB's only take DDR ram.....my MB
currently has Rambus ram. I am not sure if it will work in the new MB.

Dave Cox wrote:
> "Joe Blow" <joe@blow.com> wrote in
>
>> I'm curious how do you know it's the ATI 9800 Pro? The reason I
>> ask I've been having that problem with the advent of warm weather.
>> Taking the side off the case off solves the problem. The card
>> always ran hot and the addition of an Artic Cooler didn't help.
>>
>> So now I"m looking at CPU temperatre and possibly ram overheating.
>> I recently bought a new case, added fan ventilation front and
>> back as well as round IDE cables.
>

> Just got the card........everything worked fine until I put it in. Put
> my old card back in and no problems. My old card is a Hercules 9700
> pro.....that card worked great up until 3 days after the warranty
> (after it warms up I get screen clutter/garbage)
>
> As far as the other post of the guy who gave me the links to Intel
> website I installed all those prior to posting the original question.
> the dates of those updates are mid 2001. ATI says they are to old
> But thanks for taking the time to look for them. I know i said there
> were no updates......but I was a little confused because the dates on
> the updates were so old. This MB is no longer supported by Intel as
> per thier website.
>
> So now I have to decide if I take the 9800 back pay the restocking
> fee.....get another card or keep it and buy a new MB and new ram
> (512mb). From what I seen the newest MB's only take DDR ram.....my MB
> currently has Rambus ram. I am not sure if it will work in the new MB.

If you want to continue using your rambus memory you will have to get a
new motherboard that uses rambus. DDR and rambus aren't
interchangeable. I was faced with that myself a month ago when my
motherboard up and quit. There are very few retail motherboards that
support rambus now that Intel has dropped support for it in their
chipsets.
McG.

DavidS

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I have the same card you had - Hercules 9700 Pro
and I have 3 years warranty. Your retailer probably gave
you shorter warranty than Hercules (Guilemont)
you could RMA it directly to Hercules (Guilemont).

BTW you didn't buy this card 3 years ago, don't you ?

"DavidS" <snapkad@post.cz> wrote in

> I have the same card you had - Hercules 9700 Pro
> and I have 3 years warranty. Your retailer probably gave
> you shorter warranty than Hercules (Guilemont)
> you could RMA it directly to Hercules (Guilemont).
>
> BTW you didn't buy this card 3 years ago, don't you ?

Thanks people....for the info on the ram issue and warranty.
I'll get in touch with Hercules and see what they can do. I thought the
warranty was only 1 year.

> "DavidS" <snapkad@post.cz> wrote in
>
>> I have the same card you had - Hercules 9700 Pro
>> and I have 3 years warranty. Your retailer probably gave
>> you shorter warranty than Hercules (Guilemont)
>> you could RMA it directly to Hercules (Guilemont).
>>
>> BTW you didn't buy this card 3 years ago, don't you ?
>>
> Thanks people....for the info on the ram issue and warranty.
> I'll get in touch with Hercules and see what they can do. I thought the
> warranty was only 1 year.

Here you go:

http://us.hercules.com/products/showpage.php?p=55&b=0&f=1

Note the tech support phone number. I believe that it is in Montreal. I have
had to get parts from them for a Fortissimo 2 card and they were great to
deal with.

Phone numbers:

http://ts.hercules.com/eng/index.php?pg=contact

Regards,