Microsoft Malware Removal Tool

How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.

-amd
6 answers Last reply
More about microsoft malware removal tool

    Microsoft Malware Removal Tool

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Alex D." wrote:

    | How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
    | my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
    |
    | -amd

    Yes, but is this the only way to run the tool manually? If I've downloaded
    the malware removal tool onto my PC, shouldn't there be a program on my hard
    drive?

    Alex

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Microsoft Malware Removal Tool
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Alex D." wrote:
    >
    > | How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
    > | my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
    > |
    > | -amd

    The tool runs silently each time you visit the Windows Update
    web site.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Alex D. wrote:

    > Yes, but is this the only way to run the tool manually?
    > If I've downloaded the malware removal tool onto my PC,
    > shouldn't there be a program on my hard drive?
    Hi

    When run from Windows Update, it will delete itself after
    it is finished.

    If you want to download and run it manually:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Alex D. wrote:
    > How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
    > my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
    >
    > -amd

    Is there any particular reason you didn't read the explanation
    offered by the Windows Update site?

    If that wasn't enough of an explanation for you, you need to read
    the KB Article that describes the use of this tool. The MRT is updated
    the second Tuesday of each month, appears as a "Critical Update" on the
    Windows Update site, and runs only when and as "downloaded." Nothing is
    actually installed on your computer; there's nothing to run at a later
    date; there's nothing to ever uninstall.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Or run the web based online scanner --
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run

    --
    Dave

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message

    | When run from Windows Update, it will delete itself after
    | it is finished.
    |
    | If you want to download and run it manually:
    |
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=40587
    |

    | --
    | torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    | Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    | the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    | http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Security Malware Microsoft Windows XP