Microsoft Malware Removal Tool

a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 11:11:06 AM

How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.

-amd
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 1:25:30 PM

Microsoft Malware Removal Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Alex D." wrote:

| How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
| my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
|
| -amd
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 1:25:31 PM

Yes, but is this the only way to run the tool manually? If I've downloaded
the malware removal tool onto my PC, shouldn't there be a program on my hard
drive?

Alex

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Microsoft Malware Removal Tool
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Alex D." wrote:
>
> | How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
> | my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
> |
> | -amd

a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 2:19:07 PM

The tool runs silently each time you visit the Windows Update
web site.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Alex D." wrote:

| Yes, but is this the only way to run the tool manually? If I've downloaded
| the malware removal tool onto my PC, shouldn't there be a program on my hard
| drive?
|
| Alex
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 10:29:34 PM

Alex D. wrote:

> Yes, but is this the only way to run the tool manually?
> If I've downloaded the malware removal tool onto my PC,
> shouldn't there be a program on my hard drive?
Hi

When run from Windows Update, it will delete itself after
it is finished.

If you want to download and run it manually:

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 11:19:51 PM

Alex D. wrote:
> How do I run the malware removal tool manually? I don't see it anywhere in
> my program files, but I'm certain I downloaded it as part of a recent update.
>
> -amd

Is there any particular reason you didn't read the explanation
offered by the Windows Update site?

If that wasn't enough of an explanation for you, you need to read
the KB Article that describes the use of this tool. The MRT is updated
the second Tuesday of each month, appears as a "Critical Update" on the
Windows Update site, and runs only when and as "downloaded." Nothing is
actually installed on your computer; there's nothing to run at a later
date; there's nothing to ever uninstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890830

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: