Would You Buy An OEM 9800 Pro?

I've seen a Sapphire 9800Pro on the web for a decent price and was
wondering if it would be a good idea to buy it. Are there any
performance shortcoming to buying the OEM version, and am I missing
anything that might be in the box that I won't be getting with OEM?
And is there a full warranty that would come with OEM or would it be a
scaled down version like 90 days? Thank you.

Fish

I just got one, its doing 432Mhz core clock out of the box with stock
cooling. It doing 452Mhz with some artifacts but no lockups.

I paid $198 shipped from newegg.com

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> I've seen a Sapphire 9800Pro on the web for a decent price and was
> wondering if it would be a good idea to buy it. Are there any
> performance shortcoming to buying the OEM version, and am I missing
> anything that might be in the box that I won't be getting with OEM?
> And is there a full warranty that would come with OEM or would it be a
> scaled down version like 90 days? Thank you.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> I've seen a Sapphire 9800Pro on the web for a decent price and was
> wondering if it would be a good idea to buy it. Are there any
> performance shortcoming to buying the OEM version, and am I missing
> anything that might be in the box that I won't be getting with OEM?
> And is there a full warranty that would come with OEM or would it be a
> scaled down version like 90 days? Thank you.

Yes I would. But I'd make sure it's not the 128bit version that Sapphire
offers along with the 256bit version.

Fish

I checked mine and its certainly 256bit.

The 128bit one is not a 'pro' I assume. I'm sure all pro's are 256bit,
right?

"fish" <fish@email.com> wrote in message
> I checked mine and its certainly 256bit.
>
> The 128bit one is not a 'pro' I assume. I'm sure all pro's are 256bit,
> right?

All real Pro's are 256bit. I believe there was an issue earlier with
Sapphire selling the 128bit version in a 9800 Pro box with a 128bit sticker
on it. There were several mentions on this n/g about this. On all the
websites I've seen now, the 128bit version is clearly labeled as such and
not called a 9800 Pro.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:14:29 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>"fish" <fish@email.com> wrote in message
>> I checked mine and its certainly 256bit.
>>
>> The 128bit one is not a 'pro' I assume. I'm sure all pro's are 256bit,
>> right?
>
>All real Pro's are 256bit. I believe there was an issue earlier with
>Sapphire selling the 128bit version in a 9800 Pro box with a 128bit sticker
>on it. There were several mentions on this n/g about this. On all the
>websites I've seen now, the 128bit version is clearly labeled as such and
>not called a 9800 Pro.

I believe it was a Sapphire so I will need to check that out as I
haven't purchased yet.

fish wrote:
> I just got one, its doing 432Mhz core clock out of the box with stock
> cooling. It doing 452Mhz with some artifacts but no lockups.

Nah, you wanted the X800XTPE, you have "only" 8 pipelines :p

Ben

nubis wrote:
> I believe it was a Sapphire so I will need to check that out as I
> haven't purchased yet.

You may find this useful:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/press/128-bit-9800.pdf

It's a pretty small download if I recall.

Ben

Fish

I will have an X800XT sooner then you my friend. I'm currently spending a
small fortune on audio gear that has my mind occupied.

The only reason why I bought a video card now is because while installing a
water cooler in my case, a Swiftech NB block ripped the hold down hooks out
of the board, fell onto the 9700pro and damaged it. I returned the NB block
and put a large Thermalright one on it with a silent 40mm fan. I also added
a second radiator and basicially have the PC running silent and
overclocked - best of both worlds.

Why was I installing a water cooling system in my PC? Because its in my
audio listening room and it wasn't quiet enough. I've been building and
OCing PC for years now. I use to spend time on these NG groups but tired of
them. My unplanned recent and premature endeavor in video cards made me seek
out some information and conversation. And like all hobbies, I can easily
enjoy this one even if it was unplanned. However, my passion right now is
for HiFi audio. Want to talk about tubes? Vacuum tubes, wire and
capacitors - that's where my interest is today. I'm looking at some great
MIT S3's for $350/meter, fixed impedance and that's cheap!
If I really wanted the X800XT I'd just go and buy one but its not on my
priority list and thus not worth the extra cash for it over the 9800pro
which is working out well for now. When the summer is over and I start
getting bored with the audio system, I'll stick the 9800pro in my 5 year old
son's PC and pick myself up whatever is fastest at the time.
From what I am reading, it'll likely be an NV40 but I sure hope its a Radeon
because I like ATI. However, ATI MUST work out its OpenGL issues since I am
mostly interested in the Doom3, Quake4 and similar games. The only other
games I play are Unreal Tournament and Civilization, all the others bore me
too quickly - I'm now a game junkie, I also use my PC for work (audio and
video mixing) and store literally tens of thousands of songs from my CD
collection. Remember I said I was a HiFi junkie? My PC is also a giant
jukebox and entertainment machine, its not just about video games for me -
I'm not 15 years old!

Oh and yes, the X800 Pro isn't good enough for me! When I buy another video
card, it'll be something special. The 9800pro is a Band-Aid. I actually
started out buying a refurbished 9800pro for $160 which was just so darn
cheap, but it was also broken on arrival. I then saw newegg selling OEM
9800pro for $198 and just ordered one on the spot, cheap and fast!

So whats your story?

"Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> fish wrote:
> > I just got one, its doing 432Mhz core clock out of the box with stock
> > cooling. It doing 452Mhz with some artifacts but no lockups.
>
> Nah, you wanted the X800XTPE, you have "only" 8 pipelines :p
>
> Ben

Fish

So how much slower is the 128bit version?

> So how much slower is the 128bit version?

I have not seen any tests or benchmarks for the 128bit 9800, but I would
imagine it's in the 9600XT range.

fish wrote:
> I will have an X800XT sooner then you my friend. I'm currently spending a
> small fortune on audio gear that has my mind occupied.

I thought you'd plonked me? Well it certainly sounds like your dick is
bigger than mine, well done.

> However, my passion
> right now is for HiFi audio. Want to talk about tubes? Vacuum tubes, wire
> and capacitors - that's where my interest is today.

Tubes? Pah, I suppose they make the sound "warm" eh? I.e., low pass pass
filter, poor reproduction. But whatever turns you on. Audio is engineering
and tubes don't cut it, but if you prefer the sound then go ahead. At the
end of the day it's about the music, and thats art which is clearly a
personal preference.

> Remember I said I was a HiFi junkie? My PC
> is also a giant jukebox and entertainment machine, its not just about
> video games for me - I'm not 15 years old!

Neither am I. Without my PC I'd be unable to do my job, which is software
development.

> So whats your story?

Engineering background, not long out of Uni. My biggest passion to date was
the FS race we built. Videos on my website - I was driving.

Ben

Fish

You obviously don't know the first thing about tubes.

Its overwhelmingly accepted that the level of quality from tube designs
surpass that of anything solid state up to $10,000 as a general rule, there
are exceptions.

'...Audio is engineering and tubes don't cut it...'
LOL!! - go here (http://www.decware.com) read a little, then look for the
form at Decware's site and tell that to some of the regulars (most are Audio
Engineers).

Augustus wrote:

> "fish" <fish@email.com> wrote in message
> > So how much slower is the 128bit version?
> >

> I have not seen any tests or benchmarks for the 128bit 9800, but I
> would imagine it's in the 9600XT range.

You are right:

http://tinyurl.com/6k63d

regards

@ndrew

fish wrote:
> You obviously don't know the first thing about tubes.
>
> Its overwhelmingly accepted that the level of quality from tube designs
> surpass that of anything solid state up to $10,000 as a general rule,
> there are exceptions.
>
> '...Audio is engineering and tubes don't cut it...'
> LOL!! - go here (http://www.decware.com) read a little, then look for the
> form at Decware's site and tell that to some of the regulars (most are
> Audio Engineers).

Well I took a look at their cables first as this tends to be where most
bullshit is:

http://www.decware.com/cables/designnotes.htm
"In these new cables wanting both halves of the sinewave to be treated the
same, matching conductors are run in parallel to each other with no twists
or braids or external shields to complicate the interaction between
conductors"

Hmm, bullshit. Since when would each half of the sine wave be treated
differently? Thats entirely equivalent to connecting the cable the other
way round and it having different electrical properties. Bullshit at it's
best.

I suppose at around $80/m and $25 for each connector they have to say
*something* to sell them.

OK, over to tubes, preamps:
http://www.decware.com/linestage/zp1.htm
"In fact, if you have a high power solid state amplifier, this is an
absolute must"

OK, presumably to make the sound of the solid state amp sound warm and
fuzzy, just the way you like it. That statement alone says that it adds
audible distortion.

OK, so it uses the 61NP tube, would that be anything like this $7 tube (and
thats only in quantities of 10):
http://www.conusaudio.com/Specs/6N1PEV.pdf

"designed for amplification of low-frequency voltage" Well there's a
useless statement. 20KHz is audible, but is it low-frequency? Hmm, I
dunno. Compared to DC no, compared to Bluetooth carrier? Yes. Lets keep
investigating...

OK, can't find very much, well... nothing quantitative.

Anyway, I think $575 for what is essentially a $7 part with a pretty box
seems like a high markup.

OK, just been looking at the SE84C power amp:
http://www.decware.com/zpage3.htm

OK, so the frequency response seems pretty flat from 30Hz to 20KHz. Again
it uses te 61NP. For some reason I don't seem to be able to find any specs
on distortion. Don't care any more.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat. It's subjective and if spending
that sort of money makes the music sound better to you, good. I'm glad.
Enjoy.

Ben

fish wrote:
> You obviously don't know the first thing about tubes.
>
> Its overwhelmingly accepted that the level of quality from tube designs
> surpass that of anything solid state up to $10,000 as a general rule,
> there are exceptions.
>
> '...Audio is engineering and tubes don't cut it...'
> LOL!! - go here (http://www.decware.com) read a little, then look for the
> form at Decware's site and tell that to some of the regulars (most are
> Audio Engineers).

Here's an interesting article on their site, by their design engineer:
http://www.decware.com/paper07.htm

"Just below clipping, a well designed transistor amplifier well have almost
unmeasurable distortion. High power transistor amplifiers today are so good
and so cheap, there is no excuse for them to go into clipping"

"The even-order distortion that tubes produce is still distortion, but some
call it "euphonically correct", and, with a tube amplifier you can't turn it
off, it's always there. If I want this kind of possibly desirable coloration
in my music listening, I would add a tube stage that is voltage starved
which will slightly exaggerate this effect"

Exactly what I said. Tubes distort more than solid state, but if you like
the sound, good. Buy a tube.

Can't say fairer than from the design engineer at the website you suggest I
read.

Comments?

Ben

Fish

LOL and your a know it all too.?!?!?

Hey Ben Dover, maybe there're something's you know nothing about?

Oh, I forgot - you know everything.

LOL repeadeatly till I bust a gut!

fish wrote:
> "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> fish wrote:
>>> You obviously don't know the first thing about tubes.
>>>
>>> Its overwhelmingly accepted that the level of quality from tube designs
>>> surpass that of anything solid state up to $10,000 as a general rule,
>>> there are exceptions.
>>>
>>> '...Audio is engineering and tubes don't cut it...'
>>> LOL!! - go here (http://www.decware.com) read a little, then look for
>>> the form at Decware's site and tell that to some of the regulars (most
>>> are Audio Engineers).
>>
>> Here's an interesting article on their site, by their design engineer:
>> http://www.decware.com/paper07.htm
>>
>> "Just below clipping, a well designed transistor amplifier well have
>> almost unmeasurable distortion. High power transistor amplifiers today
>> are so good and so cheap, there is no excuse for them to go into
>> clipping"
>>
>> "The even-order distortion that tubes produce is still distortion, but
>> some call it "euphonically correct", and, with a tube amplifier you
>> can't turn it off, it's always there. If I want this kind of possibly
>> desirable coloration in my music listening, I would add a tube stage
>> that is voltage starved which will slightly exaggerate this effect"
>>
>> Exactly what I said. Tubes distort more than solid state, but if you
>> like the sound, good. Buy a tube.
>>
>> Can't say fairer than from the design engineer at the website you
>> suggest I read.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> LOL and your a know it all too.?!?!?
>

> Hey Ben Dover, maybe there're something's you know nothing about?

Who is Ben Dover? Oh, that was humour... very good, not heard THAT one
before. And I'm the childish one?

> Oh, I forgot - you know everything.
>

> LOL repeadeatly till I bust a gut!

Given your lack of comments relating to serious questions I take it you
concede.

Ben

Fish

yes.

But not because I lack comment. It's inappropriate and unrelated to this NG.

fish wrote:
> yes.

?? To which sentences in the 70+ lines of text you included?

Ben

Fish

? Umm, wrong again.