tool to list all patches ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Hi:

Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.

Thanks in advace
Polaris
8 answers Last reply
More about tool list patches
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Sorry, I meant for command line tool...

    "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
    > windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    >
    > Thanks in advace
    > Polaris

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Try the netdiag support tool. If you do not want to run the whole test just
    use netdiag /test:ipconfig. --- Steve

    "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
    > windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    >
    > Thanks in advace
    > Polaris

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
    checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.

    Modem Ani

    "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
    > windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    >
    > Thanks in advace
    > Polaris

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    That will not list all patches.
    That only lists installed patches that have an uninstall option,many do not.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
    > checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.
    >
    > Modem Ani
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Good catch - thanks :-)

    Modem Ani

    > That will not list all patches.
    > That only lists installed patches that have an uninstall option,many do
    not.

    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > > Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
    > > checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.
    > >
    > > Modem Ani

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    View Which Hot Fixes Have Been Installed. Registry, Belarc Advisor,
    Qfecheck and SPCheck.

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
    Navigate to >>

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix

    Key contains information about which Hot fix's have been installed.
    ===========

    Belarc Advisor Also shows Updates

    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

    ===

    Download, install and run Qfecheck.exe

    Qfecheck will show if all updates have been installed properly or not.

    Among other things....[[This tool helps customers who thought they had
    properly installed anupdate, but had not, and are now experiencing a
    problem.]]

    Windows XP Patch: Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows XP
    Hotfixes
    http://tinyurl.com/aiz4

    Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Hotfixes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282784

    ===

    ServicePack Level diagnostic tool (SPCheck.exe).

    SPCheck.exe is on the XP CD in the \SUPPORT\TOOLS folder in the SUPTOOLS.MSI
    package.

    To install Windows XP Support Tools, run setup.exe located in the
    \support\tools directory on the Windows XP CD.

    You can use the SPCheck tool to determine the service pack level of
    installed components on computers that are running either Windows NT Server
    4.0, Windows 2000 Server, WIndows XP, or Windows Server 2003. The SPCheck
    tool generates a report that lists the origin of each file for each
    installed component.

    Overview of the SPVerify Tool

    How to Use the SPCheck Tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q312646

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eU6CsR5EFHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Polaris <etpolaris@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi:
    >
    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
    > windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    >
    > Thanks in advace
    > Polaris
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Polaris wrote:

    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches
    > on a windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    Hi

    Mbsacli.exe can list installed patches. This is the command line I
    run to get a tab separated list of installed updates (to get a log
    to a file use the -f switch as well):

    mbsacli.exe -hf -nosum -s 2 -history 1 -o tab -nvc -x MSSecure_1033.CAB

    -history level Displays hotfixes that are:
    (1) explicitly installed
    (2) explicitly not installed
    (3) effectively installed
    This switch is not necessary for normal
    operation. Do not use this switch unless you've
    read -history usage in 303215.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303215

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for you help! For now I will use the mbsacli.exe. It seems
    to be quite good.

    Thanks!
    Polaris
    "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
    > windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
    >
    > Thanks in advace
    > Polaris

Security Microsoft Windows XP