tool to list all patches ?

February 15, 2005 2:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Hi:

Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.

Thanks in advace
Polaris

More about : tool list patches

February 15, 2005 3:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Sorry, I meant for command line tool...

"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
> windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
>
> Thanks in advace
> Polaris

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 5:09:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Try the netdiag support tool. If you do not want to run the whole test just
use netdiag /test:ipconfig. --- Steve

"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
> windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
>
> Thanks in advace
> Polaris

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 6:02:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.

Modem Ani

"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
> windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
>
> Thanks in advace
> Polaris

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 6:02:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

That will not list all patches.
That only lists installed patches that have an uninstall option,many do not.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
> checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.
>
> Modem Ani
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 7:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Good catch - thanks :-)

Modem Ani

> That will not list all patches.
> That only lists installed patches that have an uninstall option,many do
not.

> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs. At the top of the window is a
> > checkbox that allows you to see all installed updates.
> >
> > Modem Ani

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 9:04:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

View Which Hot Fixes Have Been Installed. Registry, Belarc Advisor,
Qfecheck and SPCheck.

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK
Navigate to >>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix

Key contains information about which Hot fix's have been installed.
===========

Belarc Advisor Also shows Updates

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

===

Download, install and run Qfecheck.exe

Qfecheck will show if all updates have been installed properly or not.

Among other things....[[This tool helps customers who thought they had
properly installed anupdate, but had not, and are now experiencing a
problem.]]

Windows XP Patch: Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows XP
Hotfixes
http://tinyurl.com/aiz4

Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP
Hotfixes
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282784

===

ServicePack Level diagnostic tool (SPCheck.exe).

SPCheck.exe is on the XP CD in the \SUPPORT\TOOLS folder in the SUPTOOLS.MSI
package.

To install Windows XP Support Tools, run setup.exe located in the
\support\tools directory on the Windows XP CD.

You can use the SPCheck tool to determine the service pack level of
installed components on computers that are running either Windows NT Server
4.0, Windows 2000 Server, WIndows XP, or Windows Server 2003. The SPCheck
tool generates a report that lists the origin of each file for each
installed component.

Overview of the SPVerify Tool

How to Use the SPCheck Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q312646

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eU6CsR5EFHA.2828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Polaris <etpolaris@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi:
>
> Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches on a
> windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
>
> Thanks in advace
> Polaris
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 16, 2005 12:43:42 AM

Polaris wrote:

> Is there a tool (beter be free) to list all installed MS patches
> on a windows system? Tried mbsacli.exe, it seems cannot do it.
Hi

Mbsacli.exe can list installed patches. This is the command line I
run to get a tab separated list of installed updates (to get a log
to a file use the -f switch as well):

mbsacli.exe -hf -nosum -s 2 -history 1 -o tab -nvc -x MSSecure_1033.CAB

-history level Displays hotfixes that are:
(1) explicitly installed
(2) explicitly not installed
(3) effectively installed
This switch is not necessary for normal
operation. Do not use this switch unless you've
read -history usage in 303215.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303215

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
February 16, 2005 1:30:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.security (More info?)

Thanks everyone for you help! For now I will use the mbsacli.exe. It seems
to be quite good.

Thanks!
Polaris

!