Is there a "best" catalyst driver for Farcry?

Smithy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

Just wondering, is there such a thing as a "rock solid" set of catalyst
drivers for the 9600xtg extreme etc? Farcry locks up all the time, and
futuremark has a hissy fit.

I'd appreciate the lesson.

smithy

Andrew

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:29:32 +1000, "smithy" <smith@com.au> wrote:

>Just wondering, is there such a thing as a "rock solid" set of catalyst
>drivers for the 9600xtg extreme etc? Farcry locks up all the time, and
>futuremark has a hissy fit.
>
>I'd appreciate the lesson.

It sounds more like your CPU or video card is overheating.

geoff

smithy wrote:
> Just wondering, is there such a thing as a "rock solid" set of
> catalyst drivers for the 9600xtg extreme etc? Farcry locks up all
> the time, and futuremark has a hissy fit.
>
> I'd appreciate the lesson.
>
> smithy

try fixing your pc first then
something wrong there

GT-Force

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

I have 9700 Pro and I have the same problem. Game crashes with a critical
error message. I have a SOYO SY-P4X400 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition with
2X512 Mb DDR400 GeiL RAM running @2x200=400 (PC3200), CL2. I run the game at
very high quality.

What's your MB? Have you tried decreasing AGP speed to 4X or lower? What
memory do you have and are you using aggressive timings? Check your memory
with Memtest 86 from http://www.memtest86.com/ . These are a few things I'm
gonna check (only if I can find time...)

GT

"smithy" <smith@com.au> wrote in message
> Just wondering, is there such a thing as a "rock solid" set of catalyst
> drivers for the 9600xtg extreme etc? Farcry locks up all the time, and
> futuremark has a hissy fit.
> I'd appreciate the lesson.
> smithy

JohnS

I agree .. Cat 4.4 or 4.5. Cat 4.6 doesn't have quite
the color, and I've seen it corrupt and crash. System
very stable with 4.5. On some systems with older
cards, 4.3 and 4.4 crashed a lot. I recommend 4.5
for an older ATI card like the 9000, 9200 or before.

johns

For me, on 98SE, it seems like Cat 4.3 was the best, since 4.7 seems to run
slower than 4.3.

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> For me, on 98SE, it seems like Cat 4.3 was the best, since 4.7 seems to
run
> slower than 4.3.
>
> >I agree .. Cat 4.4 or 4.5. Cat 4.6 doesn't have quite
> >the color, and I've seen it corrupt and crash. System
> >very stable with 4.5. On some systems with older
> >cards, 4.3 and 4.4 crashed a lot. I recommend 4.5
> >for an older ATI card like the 9000, 9200 or before.
> >
> >johns
> >

> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

Why don't you use Fraps or similar to get away from your perception of
more/less fps.
Plenty of times I thought a game ran faster but it wasn't really.