DirectX 9.0c released today

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2004 1:15:05 AM

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

> Russell Sullivan
> http://tastycomputers.com

Thanks for the heads-up and link! I just hope Microsoft have actually gone
to the trouble of incorporating the PAL/SECAM TV Tuner fix for Win2k/XP
(previously available as a hotfix for 9.0b) into this build.

Paul
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:10:55 AM

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

Thanks :p

Do you know what major updates are included? Is worth downloading it if I
have DX9b?
Related resources
July 27, 2004 2:24:41 AM

Humga wrote:
> "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote
> in
> message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

> Thanks :p
>
> Do you know what major updates are included? Is worth downloading it
> if I
> have DX9b?

not really
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:28:53 AM

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> not really

Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:22:07 AM

Hi Humga,

>Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...

took some 10 minutes

--
1. if you want emails to reach me and not spamgourmet please replace
the local part of my adress ("Dev-Null") by something else.

"Klaus Opel" <Dev-Null@Klaus-Opel.de> wrote in message
> Hi Humga,
>
> >Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
>
> took some 10 minutes

Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:22:09 AM

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!

Would have taken me just a few minutes but a few minutes of boredom is too
much for me... :)
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:22:09 AM

Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> "Klaus Opel" <Dev-Null@Klaus-Opel.de> wrote in message
> > Hi Humga,
> >
> > >Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
> >
> > took some 10 minutes
>
> Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:22:10 AM

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.

Damn you. :-) I'm looking at 2 hours to get it on my dial-up connection,
assuming I can maintain around 5K a second.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:37:02 AM

It took me about a minute (Road Runner residential cable modem).

While I won't necessarily bother to install it retroactively, but I do a
lot of upgrades for people, and certainly it makes more sense, if there
are no problems reported, to install 9.0c than 9.0b, if you are going to
be installing some version of DirectX anyway.

Klaus Opel wrote:

> Hi Humga,
>

>>Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
>

> took some 10 minutes

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:46:17 AM

Jamie_Manic wrote:

> Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!

Just took 40 seconds here... long live 8 megabit/sec ADSL! :)

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 4:46:18 AM

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
in message news:BQfNc.671$Ue.482@text.usenetserver.com...
> Jamie_Manic wrote:
>
> > Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!
>
> Just took 40 seconds here... long live 8 megabit/sec ADSL! :)

haha, thats just silly!
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:18:55 AM

I'm going to start a "HELP-NightSky421-Get-Broadband" fund :)

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote in message
> "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.
> >

> Damn you. :-) I'm looking at 2 hours to get it on my dial-up connection,
> assuming I can maintain around 5K a second.

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:18:56 AM

> I'm going to start a "HELP-NightSky421-Get-Broadband" fund :)

Haha. :-) Actually I prefer to avoid a high speed connection because of
the enormous potential that goes with it. Normally I'm on a 50 hours per
month account, but sometimes I buy a month of unlimited dial-up if I need to
do large downloads. The Painkiller 1.3 patch comes to mind there!
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:29:18 AM

1 minute here (5mb dsl)

--

Rob

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> "Klaus Opel" <Dev-Null@Klaus-Opel.de> wrote in message
> > Hi Humga,
> >
> > >Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
> >
> > took some 10 minutes
>
> Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 6:21:15 AM

"Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
> message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

>> --
>> Russell Sullivan
>> http://tastycomputers.com
>>
> Thanks for the heads-up and link! I just hope Microsoft have actually gone
> to the trouble of incorporating the PAL/SECAM TV Tuner fix for Win2k/XP
> (previously available as a hotfix for 9.0b) into this build.
>
> Paul

Yes ! I believe that they have. I did a vanilla re-install of XP with SP2
(with dx90c) on the weekend and after adding the Catalyst 4.7's everything
was working as advertised. AIW 9800 PAL (in OZ).
I used to have to add the patch you mentioned to get the tuner to behave.

It must be time to upgrade again now that all my bits n' pieces are becoming
supported OOTB. :)
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 6:21:16 AM

"OppyLock" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
> > message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

> >> --
> >> Russell Sullivan
> >> http://tastycomputers.com
> >>
> > Thanks for the heads-up and link! I just hope Microsoft have actually
gone
> > to the trouble of incorporating the PAL/SECAM TV Tuner fix for Win2k/XP
> > (previously available as a hotfix for 9.0b) into this build.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Yes ! I believe that they have. I did a vanilla re-install of XP with
SP2
> (with dx90c) on the weekend and after adding the Catalyst 4.7's everything
> was working as advertised. AIW 9800 PAL (in OZ).
> I used to have to add the patch you mentioned to get the tuner to behave.
>
> It must be time to upgrade again now that all my bits n' pieces are
becoming
> supported OOTB. :)

Whoa. SP2 isn't out yet, is it?

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote
> Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.

So this is just everyone bragging with their broadbands
now, no one has anything to say about DX9.0c itself...?-)
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:22:03 AM

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> Is that beta, or howcome 9.0b still seems to be the latest
> official DX I can find from www.microsoft.com/directx ?

You can get to it from www.microsoft.com/directx without too much effort
so I assume it's a release version.

(Click on the 90b download on the first page then on "DirectX" on the
left side then look under featured downloads on lower right)

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).
ng@bgdsv.co.uk

On 7/26/2004 11:55 AM Russell brightened our day with:

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Installed 9.0c, it hasn't done anything evil, yet.
Nothing interesting to report with my 9800 Pro.

--
Steve [Inglo]
Anonymous

took me 12 seconds

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.
>
> --
> Tony DiMarzio
> djtone81@hotmail.com
> djraid@comcast.net
>
> "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message
> >
> > "Klaus Opel" <Dev-Null@Klaus-Opel.de> wrote in message
> > > Hi Humga,

> > > took some 10 minutes
> >
> > Took me 4 :D  Yay for 1mb Broadband!

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:34:44 PM

Humga wrote:
> "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> not really
>>

> Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...

Um, yeah....18 seconds here :)
McG.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:30:09 PM

Hmmm..... What of this "potential" do you want to avoid?

Are you trying to rationalize your dial-up??? ;)

> "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm going to start a "HELP-NightSky421-Get-Broadband" fund :)
> >

> Haha. :-) Actually I prefer to avoid a high speed connection because of
> the enormous potential that goes with it. Normally I'm on a 50 hours per
> month account, but sometimes I buy a month of unlimited dial-up if I need
> do large downloads. The Painkiller 1.3 patch comes to mind there!

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:47:53 PM

Bull... 18 seconds if you pulled it off another machine in your 100mbit LAN.
Definitely not coming off the net though.

> Humga wrote:
> > "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> not really
> >>

> > Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
>
> Um, yeah....18 seconds here :)
> McG.

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:26:29 PM

run ad-aware smarty pants.

Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com
djraid@comcast.net

"RonK" <imhere@home.net> wrote in message
> Is it just me or have I notcied a lot more MS advertising popups since I
> installed DX9C ?
>

> "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
> message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

> > --
> > Russell Sullivan
> > http://tastycomputers.com

July 27, 2004 7:50:48 PM

Hey, Downloaded and my dicks still 8" long

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 7/26/2004 11:55 AM Russell brightened our day with:
>

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
-aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en

> Installed 9.0c, it hasn't done anything evil, yet.
> Nothing interesting to report with my 9800 Pro.
>
> --
> Steve [Inglo]
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 7:50:49 PM

Installed 9.0c and it shortened Mr. Jones to 8.5" :(

"Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hey, Downloaded and my dicks still 8" long
>

> "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> > On 7/26/2004 11:55 AM Russell brightened our day with:
> >

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> -aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en
> > >

> > Installed 9.0c, it hasn't done anything evil, yet.
> > Nothing interesting to report with my 9800 Pro.
> >
> > --
> > Steve [Inglo]

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:10:41 PM

> Hmmm..... What of this "potential" do you want to avoid?

Heh, I think it would become quite addictive. I was at someone's place one
day who has high speed Internet and my head was spinning at just how quick
downloads went! I dunno, it would be nice to have in certain respects, but
I don't often do large downloads. Of course, that would probably change if
I got it!

Seriously though, I pay about $10 a month for the 50 hours per month that I
get right now, and that's pretty good value. I was lucky enough to have
signed up for this particular account when I did from my ISP because they
actually discontinued it a couple of years back. However, they said as long
as I pay my annual renewal, I can keep the 50 hours per month indefinitely.
Today, they only offer 25 hours per month if you wanted that account, an
amount which is really inadequate except for the simplest of things.

> Are you trying to rationalize your dial-up??? ;)

Sounds like it. :-)
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:12:12 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:12:08 +0300, "Aki Peltola"
<aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> waffled on about something:

>"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.
>
>So this is just everyone bragging with their broadbands
>now, no one has anything to say about DX9.0c itself...?-)

It'll be dicks on the table next.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
July 27, 2004 8:12:13 PM

lol

"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:12:08 +0300, "Aki Peltola"
> <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> waffled on about something:
>
> >"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote
> >> Took me 85 seconds on 4-MBIT cable.
> >
> >So this is just everyone bragging with their broadbands
> >now, no one has anything to say about DX9.0c itself...?-)
>
> It'll be dicks on the table next.
>
> D0d6y.
> --
> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
July 27, 2004 8:36:22 PM

You need the 7" patch then :-)

> Installed 9.0c and it shortened Mr. Jones to 8.5" :(
>
> "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hey, Downloaded and my dicks still 8" long
> >

> > "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in
message
> > > On 7/26/2004 11:55 AM Russell brightened our day with:
> > >

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> > -aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en
> > > >

> > > Installed 9.0c, it hasn't done anything evil, yet.
> > > Nothing interesting to report with my 9800 Pro.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steve [Inglo]

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:36:23 PM

installing it now.

> You need the 7" patch then :-)
>

> "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Installed 9.0c and it shortened Mr. Jones to 8.5" :(
> >
> > "Spencer" <warthog@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hey, Downloaded and my dicks still 8" long
> > >

> > > "Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in
> message
> > > >

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> > > -aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:15:46 PM

On 7/27/2004 9:53 AM RonK brightened our day with:

>Is it just me or have I notcied a lot more MS advertising popups since I
>installed DX9C ?

If you ever see *any* MS advertising pop-ups you've got other problems.

If you have half a clue you shouldn't see any pop-ups of any kind.

--
Steve [Inglo]
Anonymous

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:18:19 GMT, "Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> waffled
on about something:

>"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 03:12:08 +0300, "Aki Peltola"
>> <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> waffled on about something:
>>
>> >"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote
>> >
>> >So this is just everyone bragging with their broadbands
>> >now, no one has anything to say about DX9.0c itself...?-)
>>
>> It'll be dicks on the table next.
>
>lol

Oh dear, I created a monster! Look what's happened further down!

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:26:19 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:26:18 +0100, Dodgy
<Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:26:29 -0400, "Tony DiMarzio"
><djtone81@hotmail.com> waffled on about something:
>
>>run ad-aware smarty pants.
>>
>>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
>...and then get http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install
>the adblock extension. :-D
>
>D0d6y.

Also get "Spywareblaster".
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:36:17 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:34:44 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Humga wrote:
>> "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> not really
>>>

>> Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...
>
>Um, yeah....18 seconds here :)
>McG.

Pfft. When I clicked the link I went back in time and got it a week
ago. Love that temporal cable modem!

David
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 2:47:14 AM

Thanks for all the replies - I installed Firefox and so far it works great !

"RonK" <imhere@home.net> wrote in message
> Is it just me or have I notcied a lot more MS advertising popups since I
> installed DX9C ?
>

> "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote in
> message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

> > --
> > Russell Sullivan
> > http://tastycomputers.com

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:01:55 AM

"NoRemorse" <thebummer@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "OppyLock" <yeah@right.com> wrote in message
>> "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace_dot_with_"."> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:HscNc.34282$eM2.11898@attbi_s51...

>> > Thanks for the heads-up and link! I just hope Microsoft have actually
> gone
>> > to the trouble of incorporating the PAL/SECAM TV Tuner fix for Win2k/XP
>> > (previously available as a hotfix for 9.0b) into this build.
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> Yes ! I believe that they have. I did a vanilla re-install of XP with
> SP2
>> (with dx90c) on the weekend and after adding the Catalyst 4.7's
>> everything
>> was working as advertised. AIW 9800 PAL (in OZ).
>> I used to have to add the patch you mentioned to get the tuner to behave.
>>
>> It must be time to upgrade again now that all my bits n' pieces are
> becoming
>> supported OOTB. :)
>
> Whoa. SP2 isn't out yet, is it?
>
> --
> NoRemorse
> "Expect me when you see me."

Ooops ... nah it's not.

I was referring to the Win XP SP2 RC2(?) which came bundled with the RC of
dx90c. That dx90c didn't require the AIW PAL patch and neither does the
official dx90c.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:56:40 AM

<Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote/replied to:

>>run ad-aware smarty pants.
>>
>>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
>...and then get http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install
>the adblock extension. :-D

No extension needed, Firefox come with built in Ad blocking.

--
Jim Davis, President, Eastern Beaver Company
http://ebeaver.oberro.com/

On 7/27/2004 3:56 PM James B. Davis brightened our day with:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:26:18 +0100, Dodgy
><Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote/replied to:
>

>>>run ad-aware smarty pants.
>>>
>>>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>>>

>>...and then get http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install
>>the adblock extension. :-D
>>

>No extension needed, Firefox come with built in Ad blocking.

Firefox comes with built in *Pop-up *blocking, not ad blocking.

--
Steve [Inglo]
July 28, 2004 11:56:41 AM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 07:56:40 +0900, James B. Davis
<jbdavis@hkg.odn.ne.jp> wrote:

>>...and then get http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install
>>the adblock extension. :-D
>
>No extension needed, Firefox come with built in Ad blocking.

So says the person who hasn't yet seen the light. Adblock is awesome.
July 28, 2004 1:50:19 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:47:14 -0400, "RonK" <imhere@home.net> waffled
on about something:

>Thanks for all the replies - I installed Firefox and so far it works great !

Another convert... :-)

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:40:36 AM

Quoth The Raven "Mark Steen" <mark@no.email> in
vvbdg0dc10294bqte3eltpqfm5kunmbj2v@4ax.com
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:26:18 +0100, Dodgy
> <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:26:29 -0400, "Tony DiMarzio"
> ><djtone81@hotmail.com> waffled on about something:
> >
> >>run ad-aware smarty pants.
> >>
> >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> >
> >...and then get http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and install
> >the adblock extension. :-D
> >
> >D0d6y.
>
> Also get "Spywareblaster".

then clean all that shite up with spyblaster

--
I'm not as think as you drunk I am!

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 4:20:51 AM

It's not the time you are risking, it's the slight possibility of f---ing up
your system, given there's no way to uninstall DirectX.

"Humga" <Humga@no-spam.com> wrote in message

> "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

> > not really
> >

> Good! Takes time to download ~30MB...

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:51:59 AM

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote
> It's not the time you are risking, it's the slight possibility of f---ing
up
> your system, given there's no way to uninstall DirectX.

*cough*cough* System Restore? At least in ME/XP/2k
I believe. Why do people keep it off anyway, I think it's
very useful.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 9:52:00 AM

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote

> *cough*cough* System Restore? At least in ME/XP/2k
> I believe. Why do people keep it off anyway, I think it's
> very useful.

It usually works but you can't rely on it. Only copying or imaging your
partition is reliable.

PS Have you experienced Windows Update deleting restore points like I have?
Not every time, but it likes to.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/