Folder Permissions

I am using a small network (34 pc's). I need to set up a shared folder that
on Win 98 I could password protect. I am trying to set permissions on Win XP
Pro. We do not use a domain but rather a workgroup. I can't seem to set ANY
type of permission with this OS. Can anyone HELP me. The folder I want to
share is imperative that it not be shared over the entire network. Thanks
for any help.
--
A K Elliot
8 answers Last reply

    Since you have a workgroup and not a domain you are going to have to create
    each user you want to have access to the share ON the computer doing the
    sharing.
    Create each user using the same username and password they use to log into
    the computer they will be accessing the share from.

    On the XP machine grant the proper user proper access to the share.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "A K Elliot" <AKElliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using a small network (34 pc's). I need to set up a shared folder
    >that
    > on Win 98 I could password protect. I am trying to set permissions on Win
    > XP
    > Pro. We do not use a domain but rather a workgroup. I can't seem to set
    > ANY
    > type of permission with this OS. Can anyone HELP me. The folder I want
    > share is imperative that it not be shared over the entire network. Thanks
    > for any help.
    > --
    > A K Elliot

    "A K Elliot" wrote:

    Thanks so much for the info that worked great for the XP Pro
    machines--however, the Win 98 machine is not able to access the folder? Any
    ideas there?

    What do you mean by "not able to access the folder"?

    What are the steps you are taking to access the folder and where does it not
    work? Any error messages?

    > "A K Elliot" wrote:
    >
    > Thanks so much for the info that worked great for the XP Pro
    > machines--however, the Win 98 machine is not able to access the folder?
    > Any
    > ideas there?

    I set up the Win 98 user on the to be shared computer using their name and
    windows logon password the same as I did for the XP machines in the
    permissions. The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine, the Win
    98 PC says access denied. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for the info
    you have supplied me with already!

    Test credentials by logging onto the Win 98 machine with the same
    credentials used to connect from functioning XP machine.

    If you connect, check credentials set up for the Win 98 machine.

    >I set up the Win 98 user on the to be shared computer using their name and
    > windows logon password the same as I did for the XP machines in the
    > permissions. The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine, the
    > Win
    > 98 PC says access denied. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for the
    > info
    > you have supplied me with already!

    I guess I don't know what you mean by credentials. I used the PC name and
    the windows logon on the XP machine and that doesn't work.

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > Test credentials by logging onto the Win 98 machine with the same
    > credentials used to connect from functioning XP machine.
    >
    > If you connect, check credentials set up for the Win 98 machine.
    >
    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "A K Elliot" <AKElliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I set up the Win 98 user on the to be shared computer using their name and
    > > windows logon password the same as I did for the XP machines in the
    > > permissions. The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine, the
    > > Win
    > > 98 PC says access denied. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for the
    > > info
    > > you have supplied me with already!

    The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine, the
    >> > Win
    >> > 98 PC says access denied. What am I doing wrong?

    Credentials = username and password.

    Log into the Win 98 computer using the same username and password that you
    used to log into the "XP machines" you are referring to in the above
    statement. Those credentials work. Test connecting to the share from the Win
    98 machine using credentials that you used on another computer that allowed
    you to connect.

    This will tell you if the problem is with the username and password or with
    the Win 98 machine.

    DDS

    >I guess I don't know what you mean by credentials. I used the PC name and
    > the windows logon on the XP machine and that doesn't work.
    >
    > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
    >
    >> Test credentials by logging onto the Win 98 machine with the same
    >> credentials used to connect from functioning XP machine.
    >>
    >> If you connect, check credentials set up for the Win 98 machine.
    >>
    >> hth
    >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >>
    >> "A K Elliot" <AKElliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I set up the Win 98 user on the to be shared computer using their name
    >> >and
    >> > windows logon password the same as I did for the XP machines in the
    >> > permissions. The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine,
    >> > the
    >> > Win
    >> > 98 PC says access denied. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again for the
    >> > info
    >> > you have supplied me with already!

    That worked! Thank you so much for your help!!!!

    "Danny Sanders" wrote:

    > The XP machines can access the shared folder just fine, the
    >

    > Credentials = username and password.
    >
    > Log into the Win 98 computer using the same username and password that you
    > used to log into the "XP machines" you are referring to in the above
    > statement. Those credentials work. Test connecting to the share from the Win
    > 98 machine using credentials that you used on another computer that allowed
    > you to connect.
    >
    > This will tell you if the problem is with the username and password or with
    > the Win 98 machine.
    >
    > DDS
    >

    > "A K Elliot" <AKElliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I guess I don't know what you mean by credentials. I used the PC name and
    > > the windows logon on the XP machine and that doesn't work.
    > >
    > > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Test credentials by logging onto the Win 98 machine with the same
    > >> credentials used to connect from functioning XP machine.
    > >>
    > >> If you connect, check credentials set up for the Win 98 machine.
    > >>
    > >> hth
    > >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    > >>
    > >> "A K Elliot" <AKElliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Microsoft Permissions Windows XP