Monitoring Files

Hi:

I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
log my usage.
--
Thank you for you help
Mark M

    R-Guard Data Security Software
    http://www.data-security-software.com/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "MSM" wrote:

    | Hi:
    |
    | I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    | computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    | logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    | all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    | If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    | file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    | buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    | users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    | log my usage.
    | --
    | Thank you for you help
    | Mark M

    I recommend using GFI SELM.
    http://www.gfi.com/lanselm/

    We have configured it to watch our developers access and modify files, and
    have caught them making system changes during business hours and without
    following the ITIL change management process.

    "MSM" wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    > computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    > logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    > all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    > If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    > file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    > buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    > users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    > log my usage.
    > --
    > Thank you for you help
    > Mark M

    I recommend using GFI SELM.
    http://www.gfi.com/lanselm/

    We have configured it to watch our developers access and modify files, and
    have caught them making system changes during business hours and without
    following the ITIL change management process.

    It's very cheap and effective and hasn't affected the availability of our
    servers.

    We ran Intrusion Prevention Systems on these same servers and IPS negatively
    impacted those servers.

    "MSM" wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    > computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    > logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    > all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    > If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    > file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    > buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    > users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    > log my usage.
    > --
    > Thank you for you help
    > Mark M

    Hi;

    Sorry for the delayed reply. I went to this site downloaded their triakl
    version and found that it is not effective. It monitors everything that is
    going on, therefore I am getting data overload trying to scan it. Also, it
    seems to disable my on-line virus protection. When I notified the tech
    support for the program they told me to wait until their newer vewrsion comes
    out.

    Thank you for the reply, I am still looking for a way to monitor these files
    only.

    Thanks
    Mark M

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > R-Guard Data Security Software
    > http://www.data-security-software.com/
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "MSM" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi:
    > |
    > | I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    > | computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    > | logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    > | all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    > | If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    > | file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    > | buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    > | users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    > | log my usage.
    > | --
    > | Thank you for you help
    > | Mark M

    Hi:

    Sorry for the delayed reply, thanks for the info, however it did not work.
    This version of the software monitors everything on the PC, and it doesn't
    seem to be able to monitor anything outside the currently logged in user. I
    have notified the site tech support and they say just wait until their newer
    version comes out. Again thanks for the help. I will keep looking for a way
    to monitor these files.

    Mark M

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > R-Guard Data Security Software
    > http://www.data-security-software.com/
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "MSM" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi:
    > |
    > | I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    > | computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    > | logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    > | all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    > | If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    > | file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    > | buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    > | users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    > | log my usage.
    > | --
    > | Thank you for you help
    > | Mark M

    Hi:

    Sorry about the delayed reply, I tried this program and was unable to
    install it. It seems that it need MSQS (?) installed and everytime I try to
    install it, it crashes down. I guess I will have to keep looking for
    something that will allow me to monitor only the files I wish to monitor.

    Again thanks for you r help.

    Mark M.

    "Phil Agcaoili" wrote:

    > I recommend using GFI SELM.
    > http://www.gfi.com/lanselm/
    >
    > We have configured it to watch our developers access and modify files, and
    > have caught them making system changes during business hours and without
    > following the ITIL change management process.
    >
    > It's very cheap and effective and hasn't affected the availability of our
    > servers.
    >
    > We ran Intrusion Prevention Systems on these same servers and IPS negatively
    > impacted those servers.
    >

    > "MSM" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
    > > computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
    > > logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
    > > all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
    > > If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
    > > file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
    > > buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
    > > users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
    > > log my usage.
    > > --
    > > Thank you for you help
    > > Mark M