msm

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Hi:

I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
log my usage.
--
Thank you for you help
Mark M

R-Guard Data Security Software
http://www.data-security-software.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"MSM" wrote:

| Hi:
|
| I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
| computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
| logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
| all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
| If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
| file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
| buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
| users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
| log my usage.
| --
| Thank you for you help
| Mark M

I recommend using GFI SELM.
http://www.gfi.com/lanselm/

We have configured it to watch our developers access and modify files, and
have caught them making system changes during business hours and without
following the ITIL change management process.

"MSM" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
> computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
> logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
> all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
> If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
> file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
> buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
> users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
> log my usage.
> --
> Thank you for you help
> Mark M

I recommend using GFI SELM.
http://www.gfi.com/lanselm/

We have configured it to watch our developers access and modify files, and
have caught them making system changes during business hours and without
following the ITIL change management process.

It's very cheap and effective and hasn't affected the availability of our
servers.

We ran Intrusion Prevention Systems on these same servers and IPS negatively
impacted those servers.

"MSM" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
> computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
> logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
> all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
> If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
> file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
> buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
> users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
> log my usage.
> --
> Thank you for you help
> Mark M

msm

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Hi;

Sorry for the delayed reply. I went to this site downloaded their triakl
version and found that it is not effective. It monitors everything that is
going on, therefore I am getting data overload trying to scan it. Also, it
seems to disable my on-line virus protection. When I notified the tech
support for the program they told me to wait until their newer vewrsion comes
out.

Thank you for the reply, I am still looking for a way to monitor these files
only.

Thanks
Mark M

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> R-Guard Data Security Software
> http://www.data-security-software.com/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "MSM" wrote:
>
> | Hi:
> |
> | I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
> | computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
> | logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
> | all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
> | If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
> | file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
> | buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
> | users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
> | log my usage.
> | --
> | Thank you for you help
> | Mark M

msm

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Hi:

Sorry for the delayed reply, thanks for the info, however it did not work.
This version of the software monitors everything on the PC, and it doesn't
seem to be able to monitor anything outside the currently logged in user. I
have notified the site tech support and they say just wait until their newer
version comes out. Again thanks for the help. I will keep looking for a way
to monitor these files.

Mark M

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> R-Guard Data Security Software
> http://www.data-security-software.com/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "MSM" wrote:
>
> | Hi:
> |
> | I may have asked this question before, I need to monitor the files on this
> | computer (XP Pro). Besides using auditing (I am no good at reading the
> | logs), is there any programs out there that I can use to monitor and review
> | all the files that have ben opened and for how long they have been opened.
> | If not is there any way to configure auditing such that it will only show the
> | file (handle) being opened and when it was closed. I have a jistory reader,
> | buit it is inconsiostant, sometimes it will show a file being open, under one
> | users log in, but when I try to recreate the file being opened, it will not
> | log my usage.
> | --
> | Thank you for you help
> | Mark M

msm

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

Hi:

Sorry about the delayed reply, I tried this program and was unable to
install it. It seems that it need MSQS (?) installed and everytime I try to
install it, it crashes down. I guess I will have to keep looking for
something that will allow me to monitor only the files I wish to monitor.

Again thanks for you r help.

Mark M.