9800 series

ozman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2003

Which card is the best value?
9800se $116.00
9800 $160.00
9800pro $195.00

All are brand new. I've read that you can flash the bios on these cards to
make them equal to the 9800 pro. Is this true or is it a big gamble?

In My Opinion, go for the 9800 Pro. You will not be sorry. But if you are
looking for the best, go with the XT's.
Tom

"OZMAN" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> Which card is the best value?
> 9800se $116.00
> 9800 $160.00
> 9800pro $195.00
>
> All are brand new. I've read that you can flash the bios on these cards
> make them equal to the 9800 pro. Is this true or is it a big gamble?
>
> --

Mike

Splendid

I thought the 9800 nonpro was discontinued a while back. Get the pro, no
contest.

Mike

"OZMAN" <bill@phisupply.com> wrote in message
> Which card is the best value?
> 9800se $116.00
> 9800 $160.00
> 9800pro $195.00
>
> All are brand new. I've read that you can flash the bios on these cards
> make them equal to the 9800 pro. Is this true or is it a big gamble?
>
> --

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"TJar" <grayrock@NSccrtc.com> wrote in message
> In My Opinion, go for the 9800 Pro. You will not be sorry. But if you are
> looking for the best, go with the XT's.
> Tom
Considering the performance difference between a 9800 Pro and an
XT.....about 5-7%.....and the price difference...$200 for a 9800 Pro vs $300
for the XT....it's not worth it. Most 9800 Pro's overclock to the XT level
without much fuss.

None of the below. Save your ducats and get the newer ATI cards.

"Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
> None of the below. Save your ducats and get the newer ATI cards.
>
> >Which card is the best value?
> >9800se $116.00
> >9800 $160.00
> >9800pro $195.00

So you're saying a 9800 Pro for $195 is bad value and outdated?

Fish

I recently was forced to replace my 9700pro that I have had for a couple of
years with another card.
The X800's from ATI are fine, read about them online but the price is still
high.

If your looking for a 'value' then the is no doubt that the 9800pro is it!

I picked up a 9800pro for under $200 as a replacement for the 9700pro (it
was damaged) and I am very pleased with the cards performance. Its overclock
performance is amazing too.

Personally, I will be buying either an X800 or an nVidia card in a few
months. I'm waiting to see what kind of performance improvements ATI makes
with its newer CAT drivers for OGL. If its not great then I am likely
jumping ship to nVidia.

Look at the Pixel Shader 3 model. Its VERY impressive and something that the
ATI card can't do.

Either way you can't go wrong with the newest series cards if your willing
to pay close to $400 for one.

fish wrote:

> I recently was forced to replace my 9700pro that I have had for a
> couple of years with another card.
> The X800's from ATI are fine, read about them online but the price is
> still high.
>
> If your looking for a 'value' then the is no doubt that the 9800pro
> is it!
>
> I picked up a 9800pro for under $200 as a replacement for the 9700pro
> (it was damaged) and I am very pleased with the cards performance.
> Its overclock performance is amazing too.
>
> Personally, I will be buying either an X800 or an nVidia card in a few
> months. I'm waiting to see what kind of performance improvements ATI
> makes with its newer CAT drivers for OGL. If its not great then I am
> likely jumping ship to nVidia.
>
> Look at the Pixel Shader 3 model. Its VERY impressive and something
> that the ATI card can't do.
>
> Either way you can't go wrong with the newest series cards if your
> willing to pay close to $400 for one.

I put it to you that the average human eye can't tell the difference
between Pixel Shader 2 and 3.

Only one game currently uses Pixel Shader 3 and that is FarCry. I
would suggest that anyone thinking of buying a card based on PS3 does
some research.

I will even give you a head start:
http://tinyurl.com/6w7bo

The telling part of this article is that most people only have access
to a DX7 type card ... so will game makers sacrifice this market ... I
would suggest not.

regards

@ndrew