Mike

Splendid

We are currently running Windows XP sp1a in our plant. We are running a snap
server for a service throughout. When we install the recently released
update 885250, the connection fails. If we uninstall this update, it works.
I have found this post in google groups with other people who have this
issue.

http://tinyurl.com/5nova

If we install xp sp2, the issue is fixed as well, but we would prefer not to
install that yet.

Thanks for any help
Mike

Mike wrote:

> We are currently running Windows XP sp1a in our plant. We are running a snap
> server for a service throughout. When we install the recently released
> update 885250, the connection fails. If we uninstall this update, it works.
> I have found this post in google groups with other people who have this
> issue.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5nova
>
> If we install xp sp2, the issue is fixed as well, but we would prefer not to
> install that yet.
Hi

Did you see the last post in that thread, it looks like Jon got
a workaround from Veritas::

From: Jon <J...@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Problem with Update 885250 & 890047
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:13:04 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

<quote>
Credit to Veritas - on your snap server, uncheck "Enable NT SMBs" under
advanced settings for MicroSoft Networking. Ours are working fine.
</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

885250 causes other problems under xp, both sp1 and sp2--and smb, though it
can be disabled on a snap server, can't be disabled (afaik) on windows pc's
themselves, so connections to folders on windows machines will frequently
fail with kb885250 installed, even though it might work with folders on
smb-disabled snap servers.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>
>> We are currently running Windows XP sp1a in our plant. We are running a
>> snap server for a service throughout. When we install the recently
>> released update 885250, the connection fails. If we uninstall this
>> update, it works. I have found this post in google groups with other
>> people who have this issue. http://tinyurl.com/5nova
>>
>> If we install xp sp2, the issue is fixed as well, but we would prefer not
>> to install that yet.
> Hi
>
> Did you see the last post in that thread, it looks like Jon got
> a workaround from Veritas::
>

> From: Jon <J...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> Subject: RE: Problem with Update 885250 & 890047
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:13:04 -0800
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
>
> <quote>
> Credit to Veritas - on your snap server, uncheck "Enable NT SMBs" under
> advanced settings for MicroSoft Networking. Ours are working fine.
> </quote>

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did see that, while we are running a snap
server, we are not running a veritas snap server. Unfortunately we don't
have the ability to go in and modify that setting.

Thanks