ATI TV Capture Codec. Problem After Problem

Hi,

Using MMC 9.1 with a AIW 9800 Pro, Cat 4.6 on WinXP Pro.

When I create a profile to capture in AVI, I set the video codec to YUY2
from the drop down list and click Finish. If I go directly back in, look
at the codec selected, it reverts back to UYVY <native>. If I do the
same as above, but set Huffy, the codec stays listed as Huffy. I also
tried YV12, but it too doesn't stay and gets replaced by UYVY <native>.

I need either YV12 or YUY2 for a AviSynth script to work and I don't
understand if these codecs are listed why I can't select them and have
them stay selected.

Oh, great.

And then to add salt to the injury, MMC just locked up and now will not
End Process in Task Manager.

<puts post on hold>

I restarted XP and when XP came back up I tried to run TV again. It
brings up the TV splash screen, then dies. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFk!

I re-run the MMC setup in repair mode. Okay, try to run it again, crash
and again quites.

Run test and it says the capture drivers are not installed! Yeah, right.
I guess I was just imagining the capture I was just working on before
the MMC locked up. So when MMC crashes, it commits driver suicide.

So I re-run the Cat 4.6 driver pack and select only the WDM driver, and
re-install the capture driver. Now it is working again.

Oh, great.

That mysterious ATI Device Detection icon is back in the system tray.

Has anyone ever figured out what atidtct.exe is for? I know it can be
removed.

Sorry, hasn't been a very good day.

--

Mark
7 answers Last reply

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:43:52 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:

    >I need either YV12 or YUY2 for a AviSynth script to work and I don't
    >understand if these codecs are listed why I can't select them and have
    >them stay selected.

    I don't know why they don't stay selected, but since Huffyuv works and
    it's lossless, why not use it. Avisynth can open Huffyuv files.

    Avisynth can also convert the video to YV12 or YUY2 after opening it:
    AviSource("capture.avi").ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    http://www.avisynth.org/Convert

    You wrote in news:J3wNc.196405$OT6.9815145@phobos.telenet-ops.be thusly:

    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:43:52 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I need either YV12 or YUY2 for a AviSynth script to work and I don't
    >>understand if these codecs are listed why I can't select them and have
    >>them stay selected.
    >
    > I don't know why they don't stay selected,

    Can you clarify? I can take this to mean two different things. One, that
    on your system they stay selected and you don't know why they don't stay
    selected here. Second, they don't stay selected on your system either
    and you don't know why they don't stay selected.

    > but since Huffyuv works and it's lossless, why not use it. Avisynth
    > can open Huffyuv files.

    I was hoping to avoid converting and just capture lossless AVI
    uncompressed. Then send it through AviSynth to do some de-interlacing.
    It's the deinterlacer that says it wants YUY2 or YV12.

    > Avisynth can also convert the video to YV12 or YUY2 after opening it:
    > AviSource("capture.avi").ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    > http://www.avisynth.org/Convert

    I don't think I can use AviSource as that has a file size limit. I've
    been using OpenDMLSource as the file is 15GB. Do you know for sure? But,
    the point is taken, whether opening the AVI with one or the other.

    --

    Mark

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:37:11 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:

    >Can you clarify? I can take this to mean two different things. One, that
    >on your system they stay selected and you don't know why they don't stay
    >selected here. Second, they don't stay selected on your system either
    >and you don't know why they don't stay selected.

    I haven't tried it, so I don't know whether they stay selected or not.
    I use VirtualDubMod or Virtual VCR for capturing.

    >I was hoping to avoid converting and just capture lossless AVI
    >uncompressed.

    But Huffyuv is lossless, so it's exactly the same quality as
    uncompressed.

    >I don't think I can use AviSource as that has a file size limit. I've
    >been using OpenDMLSource as the file is 15GB. Do you know for sure? But,
    >the point is taken, whether opening the AVI with one or the other.

    If you select YV12 or YUY2 in ATI MMC the conversion is done by the
    ATI codec. I think Avisynth does a better job.

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:43:52 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Using MMC 9.1 with a AIW 9800 Pro, Cat 4.6 on WinXP Pro.
    >
    >When I create a profile to capture in AVI, I set the video codec to YUY2
    >from the drop down list and click Finish. If I go directly back in, look
    >at the codec selected, it reverts back to UYVY <native>. If I do the
    >same as above, but set Huffy, the codec stays listed as Huffy. I also
    >tried YV12, but it too doesn't stay and gets replaced by UYVY <native>.
    >
    >I need either YV12 or YUY2 for a AviSynth script to work and I don't
    >understand if these codecs are listed why I can't select them and have
    >them stay selected.
    >

    >Oh, great.
    >
    >And then to add salt to the injury, MMC just locked up and now will not
    >End Process in Task Manager.
    >
    ><puts post on hold>
    >
    >I restarted XP and when XP came back up I tried to run TV again. It
    >brings up the TV splash screen, then dies. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFk!
    >
    >I re-run the MMC setup in repair mode. Okay, try to run it again, crash
    >and again quites.
    >
    >Run test and it says the capture drivers are not installed! Yeah, right.
    >I guess I was just imagining the capture I was just working on before
    >the MMC locked up. So when MMC crashes, it commits driver suicide.
    >
    >So I re-run the Cat 4.6 driver pack and select only the WDM driver, and
    >re-install the capture driver. Now it is working again.
    >

    >Oh, great.
    >
    >That mysterious ATI Device Detection icon is back in the system tray.
    >
    >Has anyone ever figured out what atidtct.exe is for? I know it can be
    >removed.
    >
    >Sorry, hasn't been a very good day.

    Ignore the Ati MMC Configuration app, Mark. It has a long history of
    finding non-existent problems. You're lucky it didn't tell you you
    don't have MMX enabled on your CPU...

    patrickp

    You wrote in news:98pdg0dfp1qiahjr8plpisad1ti047tev3@4ax.com thusly:

    >>Run test and it says the capture drivers are not installed! Yeah,
    >>right. I guess I was just imagining the capture I was just working on
    >>before the MMC locked up. So when MMC crashes, it commits driver
    >>suicide.
    >>
    >>So I re-run the Cat 4.6 driver pack and select only the WDM driver,
    >>and re-install the capture driver. Now it is working again.
    >>

    >>Oh, great.
    >>
    >>That mysterious ATI Device Detection icon is back in the system tray.
    >>
    >>Has anyone ever figured out what atidtct.exe is for? I know it can be
    >>removed.
    >>
    >>Sorry, hasn't been a very good day.
    >

    > Ignore the Ati MMC Configuration app, Mark. It has a long history of
    > finding non-existent problems. You're lucky it didn't tell you you
    > don't have MMX enabled on your CPU...

    Hehe. The ATI configuration test keeps telling me that my Audigy2 ZS is
    out of sync (about the same as a SBLive) and that four of my hard drives
    are not DMA enabled (they're IDE drives treated as SCSI because of a
    extra controller card in the PCI slot).

    There doesn't appear to be any information on what the atidtct.exe file
    does (besides taking up space). I can't say I have searched everywhere,
    but the returns have had more people asking, then any substantial
    answer. When asked the answer usually is, "Just remove it, it doesn't
    seem to matter". That's like saying, "Remove this beam", not knowing if
    it is a load bearing wall or not. Sure the house didn't fall down. Just
    would be nice if the house of ATI would explain it's use.

    BTW, you remember that call I made to ATI support? At $1.30/minute
    (don't ask what it cost :) ), I guess it did some good. While not
    mentioned in the release notes (not surprising), MMC v9.1 installed and
    TV didn't echo when TV On-Demand was selected.

    --

    Mark

    You wrote in news:luwNc.196440$rT6.9797731@phobos.telenet-ops.be thusly:

    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:37:11 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Can you clarify? I can take this to mean two different things. One,
    >>that on your system they stay selected and you don't know why they
    >>don't stay selected here. Second, they don't stay selected on your
    >>system either and you don't know why they don't stay selected.
    >
    > I haven't tried it, so I don't know whether they stay selected or not.
    > I use VirtualDubMod or Virtual VCR for capturing.

    Yeah, that looks like the path I'll take. TV is just to involved for not
    being able to have more control over it. Let alone have options that
    don't stay selected.

    That cuts down the amount of software that has to be installed. Now it's
    just the FULL Cat driver pack. Everything else goes in the recycle-bin.

    >>I was hoping to avoid converting and just capture lossless AVI
    >>uncompressed.
    >
    > But Huffyuv is lossless, so it's exactly the same quality as
    > uncompressed.

    Huffy requires an extra conversion step to be processed. I've got the
    hard drive space so I just use AVI so that the CPU can devote more
    processor time to the actual MPEG encoding.

    >>I don't think I can use AviSource as that has a file size limit. I've
    >>been using OpenDMLSource as the file is 15GB. Do you know for sure?
    >>But, the point is taken, whether opening the AVI with one or the
    >>other.
    >
    > If you select YV12 or YUY2 in ATI MMC the conversion is done by the
    > ATI codec. I think Avisynth does a better job.

    Yeah, AviSynth does do a better job and has many more features. I'm not
    at all impressed with TV.

    --

    Mark

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:20:49 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:

    >You wrote in news:98pdg0dfp1qiahjr8plpisad1ti047tev3@4ax.com thusly:
    >
    >>>Run test and it says the capture drivers are not installed! Yeah,
    >>>right. I guess I was just imagining the capture I was just working on
    >>>before the MMC locked up. So when MMC crashes, it commits driver
    >>>suicide.
    >>>
    >>>So I re-run the Cat 4.6 driver pack and select only the WDM driver,
    >>>and re-install the capture driver. Now it is working again.
    >>>

    >>>Oh, great.
    >>>
    >>>That mysterious ATI Device Detection icon is back in the system tray.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone ever figured out what atidtct.exe is for? I know it can be
    >>>removed.
    >>>
    >>>Sorry, hasn't been a very good day.
    >>

    >> Ignore the Ati MMC Configuration app, Mark. It has a long history of
    >> finding non-existent problems. You're lucky it didn't tell you you
    >> don't have MMX enabled on your CPU...
    >
    >Hehe. The ATI configuration test keeps telling me that my Audigy2 ZS is
    >out of sync (about the same as a SBLive) and that four of my hard drives
    >are not DMA enabled (they're IDE drives treated as SCSI because of a
    >extra controller card in the PCI slot).
    >
    >There doesn't appear to be any information on what the atidtct.exe file
    >does (besides taking up space). I can't say I have searched everywhere,
    >but the returns have had more people asking, then any substantial
    >answer. When asked the answer usually is, "Just remove it, it doesn't
    >seem to matter". That's like saying, "Remove this beam", not knowing if
    >it is a load bearing wall or not. Sure the house didn't fall down. Just
    >would be nice if the house of ATI would explain it's use.
    >
    >BTW, you remember that call I made to ATI support? At $1.30/minute
    >(don't ask what it cost :) ), I guess it did some good. While not
    >mentioned in the release notes (not surprising), MMC v9.1 installed and
    >TV didn't echo when TV On-Demand was selected.

    No, I was just referring to the MMC config app telling you the capture
    driver was not installed, Mark. That's a common mistake it makes.

    Might be worth checking out what drivers you're using for your Audigy,
    BTW. I never had the app disapprove of any of several SB cards I
    used: the only time it ever did disapprove of a soundcard clock was
    with a Videologic Sonic Fury (European version of the Turtle Beach
    Santa Cruz card) when I tried the Turtle Beach drivers with it.
    Although they worked, there were other issues with them which made me
    realise they weren't working properly with the card, and that this
    time the app may have been right. Never a whisper with the Videologic
    drivers.

    The app's never been able to see DMA enabled on any of my drives,
    optical as well, either - I've always used the SCSI driver too in
    preference to the regilar IDE one. Other diagnosis apps have no
    problem with this, but the MMC app...!

    I haven't used the more recent MMC versions anyway, so I haven't come
    across atidtct.exe. Partly because I'm using a Sapphire VIVO card now
    which doesn't seem able to use the TV/Video In app of any version of
    MMC, but also because even before that I got fed up with the 8.x DVD
    player refusing to recognise RPC1 drives (a necessity in Europe, where
    the DVD industry doesn't issue any real choice of DVDs at all - even
    European made films that are easily available in North America are not
    available here!).

    Good to hear MMC 9.1 is working for you, though ;-)

    patrickp

Radeon Codec ATI Graphics