Dear XP Users,

At machine startup, is there a way to automatically login to my
password-protected Windows XP Pro?

Kind Regards
Charles

.. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
.. Type in the following:
control userpasswords2
.. now click OK
.. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
logon.
.. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
.. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
password.

Click OK.
The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

Charles Tam wrote:
> Dear XP Users,
>
> At machine startup, is there a way to automatically login to my
> password-protected Windows XP Pro?
>
> Kind Regards
> Charles

Thanks for your reply.

However, after execution of "control userpasswords2", I was presented with a
User Account window, and it does not offer the "Users must enter a username
and password..." box. Please help.

"Taurarian" wrote:

> .. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
> .. Type in the following:
> control userpasswords2
> .. now click OK
> .. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
> logon.
> .. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
> .. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
> password.
>
> Click OK.
> The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
> How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
> Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login
>

> Charles Tam wrote:
> > Dear XP Users,
> >
> > At machine startup, is there a way to automatically login to my
> > password-protected Windows XP Pro?
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Charles

I'm surprised you don't have this option

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

Download TweakUI - the above site gives you the links.

or use the registry edit from this site

"Charles Tam" wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> However, after execution of "control userpasswords2", I was presented with a
> User Account window, and it does not offer the "Users must enter a username
> and password..." box. Please help.
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
> > .. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
> > .. Type in the following:
> > control userpasswords2
> > .. now click OK
> > .. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
> > logon.
> > .. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
> > .. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
> > password.
> >
> > Click OK.
> > The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
> > How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
> >
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
> > Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login
> >

> > Charles Tam wrote:
> > > Dear XP Users,
> > >
> > > At machine startup, is there a way to automatically login to my
> > > password-protected Windows XP Pro?
> > >
> > > Kind Regards
> > > Charles

I'm running Win XP Pro SP1. Is that option not available in my particular
version of XP?

"Taurarian" wrote:

> I'm surprised you don't have this option
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
> Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login
>
> Download TweakUI - the above site gives you the links.
>
> or use the registry edit from this site
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
> How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
>

> "Charles Tam" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > However, after execution of "control userpasswords2", I was presented with a
> > User Account window, and it does not offer the "Users must enter a username
> > and password..." box. Please help.
> >
> > "Taurarian" wrote:
> >
> > > .. Go to the Start Menu and the Run box.
> > > .. Type in the following:
> > > control userpasswords2
> > > .. now click OK
> > > .. In the new Windows that appears select the account you wish to make the primary
> > > logon.
> > > .. Now uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password..." box.
> > > .. Hit Apply and a dialog box will appear asking you to confirm the selected users
> > > password.
> > >
> > > Click OK.
> > > The changes will work the next time you restart your computer.
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
> > > How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
> > >
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm
> > > Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

When I was running sp1, the option was available then. I'm now running sp2.
The option is still available. Why it's not available on your computer, I
don't know.
Kaylene