Why does it atter how much ram a Videocard has ?

I mean if its AGP you can let a game use 128megs or more of your
system ram, my ram is 5.0 ns and i would not mind loosing that much
ram as i have 1 gig, i could just plonk in another 512meg and use that
just for video ram ?

Any thoughts.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> I mean if its AGP you can let a game use 128megs or more of your
> system ram, my ram is 5.0 ns and i would not mind loosing that much
> ram as i have 1 gig, i could just plonk in another 512meg and use that
> just for video ram ?
>
> Any thoughts.

I'll explain this in layman's terms...

Imagine sitting on a toilet and having a fridge of beer right next to you,
all the while watching a movie. You can take beer out of the fridge, take a
dump AND a piss and never leave your seat. Everything is close by, hence
faster. You wouldn't miss a beat with the film. Now imagine if you had to
get up, go to the bathroom, then walk over to the fridge, get a beer and
come all the way back to your seat. You'd miss a good couple scenes of your
porno!

Same thing with video cards and ram. More RAM you have ON the card, less
swaping in and out of your main RAM. So, its best to have a 128meg card or
more these days. 256 is fast coming to be THE standard for the higher end
cards, and 512megs will be the norm for high end in about 9 months or
sooner.

accessing motherboard memory is slower, and to make matters worse it is under the control of the OS
(which means it may be slowed down further for several reasons)