network access and security updates

Hi all,

I've got a problem in accessing folders that are set to be accessed over the
network. Since I installed the february security updates I cannot access them
anymore on the computer that has installed the updates (they are shown but if
one clicks on them to open them it is said that one doesn't have the right to
access them). It worked on the computer that hadn't installed these updates
until I installed them. Now I don't have a way anymore to exchange files
between these computers. Does anybody know anything about that?

Best,
Mat
3 answers Last reply
More about network access security updates

    Mat wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a problem in accessing folders that are set to be accessed
    > over the network. Since I installed the february security updates I
    > cannot access them anymore on the computer that has installed the
    > updates (they are shown but if one clicks on them to open them it is
    > said that one doesn't have the right to access them). It worked on the
    > computer that hadn't installed these updates until I installed them.
    > Now I don't have a way anymore to exchange files between these
    > computers. Does anybody know anything about that?
    >
    > Best,
    > Mat

    Here's some information I found from another MVP:

    KB885250, an update from 2/8/2005 can cause file and printer sharing
    problems under Windows networking and SAMBA.

    XP SP2 clients seem unaffected, the issue surfacing for XP SP1 clients
    with this hotfix applied. If your attempt to use SMB shares seems
    compromised after last week's hotfixes, remove KB885250.

    See this MS Knowledge Base article:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-011.mspx

    Check in the section "Vulnerability Details, Workarounds" for several
    approaches to providing the protection of the hotfix without using the
    hotfix.

    HTH,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    xp sp 2 is also affected by the bugs in kb885250. Search on kb885250.

    Manuel Lopez wrote:

    > xp sp 2 is also affected by the bugs in kb885250. Search on kb885250.

    Thanks, Manuel. I replied to your post in the other group. I've made the
    changes to my notes and as I said to you in the other group, I have not
    experienced the problems first-hand on my own network.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"

Security Computers Network Access Windows XP