KB885250 Problem

KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared from
Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user database
application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me machine, a user
on XP that has this security update installed is not allowed to create any
files from the application on the host machine.

This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is to
have users uninstall this update.

Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something that
will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to function
properly?

Thanks
27 answers Last reply
More about kb885250 problem

    Outrage wrote:

    > KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared
    > from Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user
    > database application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me
    > machine, a user on XP that has this security update installed is not
    > allowed to create any files from the application on the host machine.
    >
    > This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is
    > to have users uninstall this update.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something
    > that will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to
    > function properly?
    >
    > Thanks

    Here's information I found provided by another MVP:

    KB885250, an update from 2/8/2005 can cause file and printer sharing
    problems under Windows networking and SAMBA.

    XP SP2 clients seem unaffected, the issue surfacing for XP SP1 clients
    with this hotfix applied. If your attempt to use SMB shares seems
    compromised after last week's hotfixes, remove KB885250.

    See this MS Knowledge Base article:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-011.mspx

    Check in the section "Vulnerability Details, Workarounds" for several
    approaches to providing the protection of the hotfix without using the
    hotfix.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250 is
    installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among other
    issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of windows xp sp2
    machines.

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Outrage wrote:
    >
    >> KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared
    >> from Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user
    >> database application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me
    >> machine, a user on XP that has this security update installed is not
    >> allowed to create any files from the application on the host machine.
    >>
    >> This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is
    >> to have users uninstall this update.
    >>
    >> Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something
    >> that will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to
    >> function properly?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > Here's information I found provided by another MVP:
    >
    > KB885250, an update from 2/8/2005 can cause file and printer sharing
    > problems under Windows networking and SAMBA.
    >
    > XP SP2 clients seem unaffected, the issue surfacing for XP SP1 clients
    > with this hotfix applied. If your attempt to use SMB shares seems
    > compromised after last week's hotfixes, remove KB885250.
    >
    > See this MS Knowledge Base article:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-011.mspx
    >
    > Check in the section "Vulnerability Details, Workarounds" for several
    > approaches to providing the protection of the hotfix without using the
    > hotfix.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Manuel Lopez wrote:

    > No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250
    > is installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among
    > other issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of
    > windows xp sp2 machines.

    Thanks, Manuel. I'll change my notes accordingly. I have to go on what
    others have reported since I haven't had any problems with that update
    personally on any of the XP boxen (all SP2) and haven't had any
    problems with interoperability with Samba on the Linux boxen.

    I appreciate the update.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I had other issues in my work environment. My Windows 2000 Professional SP3
    admin workstation BSOD'ed after applying the latest round of security
    updates. Looking at the updated file lists I suspect that the KB885250 was
    the culprit. Replacing .SYS files means potentially affecting the boot
    environment. I couldn't get my workstation into Windows by using any of the
    Safe Modes or using the Last Known Good Configuration option. Had to wipe it
    out and reinstall from scratch.

    Looks like this KB885250 update might be *almost* as catastrophic as the
    infamous Windows NT 4.0 SP6, which broke TCP/IP. Hence the rush release of
    SP6a. Glad that I tested the 2/2005 updates on my own workstation before
    rolling them out companywide!

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Manuel Lopez wrote:
    >
    > > No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250
    > > is installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among
    > > other issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of
    > > windows xp sp2 machines.
    > >
    > Thanks, Manuel. I'll change my notes accordingly. I have to go on what
    > others have reported since I haven't had any problems with that update
    > personally on any of the XP boxen (all SP2) and haven't had any
    > problems with interoperability with Samba on the Linux boxen.
    >
    > I appreciate the update.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes! I have also experienced this problem (search this NG for other 885250
    posts).

    The strange this is, I've only experienced this on AMD machines. I applied
    the update to all my XP-2 machines at work (Intel), and everything was fun.
    But at home, all machines are AMD, and the randomly (but consistent)
    dissappearing files problem is at hand...

    "Manuel Lopez" <manuel.email.at.post.harvard.edu@deadspam.com> wrote in

    > No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250
    > is installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among
    > other issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of
    > windows xp sp2 machines.
    >

    > "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> Outrage wrote:

    Hi, I'm also having problems with that kb885250 update.
    My WinXP "automatic update" installed the recent Feb. 8th Windows XP
    updates, including "Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)." After
    that, I was unable to use "save as..." in either Excel or Word to
    rename documents from several WinXP's to a Win98 computer I use as a
    file server. Eventually I tracked the problem down to the recent
    updates, and then to kb885250. By removing that update, 42 computers in
    my school using WinXP Pro were fixed (talk about having evidence!).
    Unfortunately, on one computer that I had been experimenting with, I
    used "System Restore" to roll back to Feb. 7th, prior to my discovery
    of the problem with kb885250. So now, that computer actually has the
    kb885250 update installed on it, with its attendant repercussions, but
    the update doesn't show in "Add/remove programs" nor in the
    "Installation History" on the Win Update page. I tried installing and
    then uninstalling the update, sifting through the registry, etc., but
    to no avail. My quandary is, how do I uninstall something that the
    computer thinks is -already uninstalled-?

    --
    FrankDC
    FrankDC's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10155

    We have a P2P network using a Win 98 machine to store files.
    From our XP SP2 workstations we cannot 'save as' using a new filename
    on the Win 98 share with KB885250 installed.

    I spent a couple of hours trying to find the problem on the first
    workstation to be affected when the user told me she had clicked the
    Update icon before going to lunch, the problem appeared after lunch.
    Ten updates had been installed on this machine on the day. I
    uninstalled them all and re-installed one at a time to find the
    culprit.

    Thanks Bushy, that's how I tracked it down too (but not that quickly!)
    The problem is that one of the computers I messed with now has the
    kb885250 installed, but because I ran "System Restore" while
    experimenting, the kb885250 doesn't show up in the add/remove list. So
    now I'm trapped with the update installed and messing up the file
    saving, but no obvious way to uninstall it. What a mess!

    --
    FrankDC
    FrankDC's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10155
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=817058
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Unfortunately, apparently MS won't fix this, at least according to one rep.
    See this post from another thread:

    "Jeffrey" <Jeffrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here is part of the reply Microsoft provided:
    >
    > "I fully understand the inconvenience of this issue. However, I am afraid
    > that there will not be a hotfix for this issue. "
    >
    > I suggest sending as many messages as possible in complaint over this as
    > they have effectivly made network drives useless with no intention to
    > correct
    > the problem.

    That's strange. How can there not be a hotfix if it breaks networking on so
    many computers and all versions of windows (however, one poster says only
    amd machines are affected--I haven't tested with intel)? I would expect
    there to be a lot of complaints from customers, corporate and otherwise,
    once they realize the problem (and the cause).

    Let me know where you submitted your query/complaint on this, and I'll send
    another.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Manuel, Thanks for the notes. I will also submit a complaint. It's
    clearly a problem, and not just related to amd boards; we have Gateways
    with Intel at my job and it messed up 42 machines running WinXP Pro. In
    the meantime, I've had to uninstall it and hide the hotfix, not a great
    solution but at least a workaround.
    -Frank DC

    --
    FrankDC
    FrankDC's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10155
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=817058
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    We have two computers at work on a peer-to-peer network (Intel not AMD).

    Because of Automatic Updates, KB885250 was installed and we had the
    "Save A" problem in Word/Excel. After removing the update through
    Add/Remove Programs everything was fine. As expected though, overnight
    the Update was reinstalled. Frank mentioned "Hiding" the update. How
    do I do that in order to keep this update from reinstalling (I don't
    really want to stop using Auto Updates).

    --
    PHanson
    PHanson's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10245

    please note this post from the other thread on where to report this bug:

    >I places an email support request for Windows XP SP2 at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=6794&
    > In their latest responce they suggested I send in a feature request to the
    > Microsoft Wishlist, so I sent a request there also that they fix update
    > KB885250 (Removing this one also removes the proble). Since my company
    > doesn't carry any Intel I haven't been tested with those either. I'm
    > hoping
    > that they are not truly understanding what their update did. With wishlist
    > addesss is mswish@microsoft.com. For reference the support person that
    > gave
    > me the responce that there would be no hotfix is Martin Ma

    Thanks, I'll report it to ms at those websites as a critical/severe bug:
    kb885250 arbitrarily prevents access to some but not all shared folders on
    properly configured windows xp sp2 and other windows networks, both
    peer-to-peer and client/server.

    (It may be that only people using netbios, i.e. non-dns style, names are
    seeing it, but that still makes it a widespread problem. Despite what that
    rep said, I assume they'll withdraw or fix kb885250 over the next few weeks
    as the complaints increase and the cause is tracked down.)
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I discovered something very interesting about the Feb 8th kb885250 security
    patch bug (where it arbitrarily makes files on certain shared folders
    invisible). If the problem folder is renamed, the files appear and
    disappear depending on the length of the rename; however, it is hard to
    discern a pattern:

    Example: These are all folders under the share \\main\c\archive\
    Files become INVISIBLE:
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_2.5
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_2.9
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_3.5
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_a.b
    asante.firmware\firmware.vca.b
    asante.firmware\firmware._
    asante.firmware\12345678901234
    asksam
    asksam___ [3 underscore]
    asksam____ [4 underscores]
    utils
    utils2
    utilsa
    utils____ [4 underscores]

    Files become VISIBLE:
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_
    asante.firmware\firmware.2.5
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_2.50
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_2.5.t
    asante.firmware\firmware.v_2.5.test
    asante.firmware\123456789012345
    asksam_ [1 underscore]
    asksam__ [2 underscores]
    asksam_____ [5 underscores]
    utilsoth
    utilsab
    utils25
    utils250
    utils__ [2 underscores]
    utils___ [3 underscores]

    "FrankDC" <FrankDC.1kwuur@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote in message

    > Thanks Bushy, that's how I tracked it down too (but not that quickly!)
    > The problem is that one of the computers I messed with now has the
    > kb885250 installed, but because I ran "System Restore" while
    > experimenting, the kb885250 doesn't show up in the add/remove list. So
    > now I'm trapped with the update installed and messing up the file
    > saving, but no obvious way to uninstall it. What a mess!
    >

    > --
    > FrankDC
    > FrankDC's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10155
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=817058

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    In my case, I first noticed this because I bought a new computer, and was
    transferring my logs from my old computer to the new one (fresh install of
    XP-2 slipstream + recent updates that include the dreaded 885250)

    Here is an example of an "invisible" filename:

    \\olympia\c$\Documents and Settings\shenan.INTROVERTED\My Documents\Logs\ICQ
    \Chats\Chats.rar

    Other files in that folder do appear, but not that particular one. I CAN
    however manually type in the complete filename to get to the file, it just
    does not show up in explorer (nor does it copy over when copying from the
    root folder which contains it)... :-(
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi, I received the following reply from MS Tech Support concerning this
    issue, FYI:

    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is
    Vivian, and I'm glad to work with you.

    From your description, I understand that after installing the update
    885250, you could not use the Save As option via Word and Excel to save
    the files to the Windows 98 SE computer. Then you removed and blocked
    this update, and the issue was resolved.

    I am sorry for all the inconveniences you've experienced.

    We would like to thank you for bringing this issue in to our attention.
    Your time and effort on this matter is appreciated. Microsoft is
    continuing to improve itself and we strive to provide improved products
    for our users. We do appreciate having users like you who stand closely
    with our products and always provide such great feedback. It is your
    efforts help to make our product powerful and easy to use. This
    particular issue has been reported to our development team and they are
    currently investigating possibilities for inclusion.

    Thank you for your suggestion. If there is any new update for MS05-011,
    I will share it with you.

    If anything above is unclear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

    It's my pleasure to be of assistance.

    Best regards,

    --
    FrankDC
    FrankDC's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10155
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=817058
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I have experienced issues with this update too and have uninstalled it
    from company XP machines. I'm applying anything relevant from the
    vulnerability workarounds until (if?) it is addressed by Microsoft.

    However, my circumstances are different in that we run an Appleshare
    6.3 server (SMB based) which ceased being browsable, even though
    authentication seemingly takes place normally.

    Also, I was still able to access my SMB shares as usual on our Debian
    Linux servers (smbd 2.2.3a-14.1) with KB885250 installed so I imagine
    the Linux/Unix interoperability issues are fairly build/distro
    specific.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Matt" wrote:
    > I have experienced issues with this update too and have
    > uninstalled it
    > from company XP machines. I'm applying anything relevant from
    > the
    > vulnerability workarounds until (if?) it is addressed by
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > However, my circumstances are different in that we run an
    > Appleshare
    > 6.3 server (SMB based) which ceased being browsable, even
    > though
    > authentication seemingly takes place normally.
    >
    > Also, I was still able to access my SMB shares as usual on our
    > Debian
    > Linux servers (smbd 2.2.3a-14.1) with KB885250 installed so I
    > imagine
    > the Linux/Unix interoperability issues are fairly build/distro
    > specific.

    I operate and maintain a couple of local area networks and we have
    been having this problem. After researching I had also come accross
    this issue of KB885250 update. After uninstalling this update all
    computers accorss the network were able to once again browse all
    files.

    Why Microsoft will not fix this I’m not sure, but I think everyone
    should file a formal complaint as this is un-acceptable to anyone
    using a computer network.

    Thanks
    Jason

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-KB885250-Problem-ftopict265906.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=870279
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:23:53 -0500, FrankDC
    <FrankDC.1kwuur@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Bushy, that's how I tracked it down too (but not that quickly!)
    >The problem is that one of the computers I messed with now has the
    >kb885250 installed, but because I ran "System Restore" while
    >experimenting, the kb885250 doesn't show up in the add/remove list. So
    >now I'm trapped with the update installed and messing up the file
    >saving, but no obvious way to uninstall it. What a mess!

    I had this same problem as a result of deleting the
    C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB885250$ directory. I could neither uninstall
    it or reinstall it and then uninstall it.

    However, I have another pc with the same OS - XP+SP2 - and file
    structure on which I hadnt deleted the
    C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB885250$ directory so simply copied the whole
    directory across and uninstalled it using spuninst.exe which is in
    that directory's tree.

    This worked (fingers were tightly crossed) and 885250 successfully
    removed.

    John

    ***IMPORTANT***
    Please do not reply to effluent@blueyonder.co.uk
    This is an antispam address.
    Please replace effluent with archway.
    ..
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Call Microsoft to get hotfix 895900 this information is listed on:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885250 there is a link pointing to 895900

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/

    Garyp@tksol.com

    "Outrage" wrote:

    > KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared from
    > Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user database
    > application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me machine, a user
    > on XP that has this security update installed is not allowed to create any
    > files from the application on the host machine.
    >
    > This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is to
    > have users uninstall this update.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something that
    > will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to function
    > properly?
    >
    > Thanks
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Gary,

    Thanks so much for your post. I spent hours with Microsoft both on the
    phone and in repeated emails just trying to get them to acknowledge the
    problem.

    FYI, the issue with KB885250 also affects Snap Servers since they use
    the same method of SMB. Snap's (Adaptec's) response was totally
    unacceptable (asking users to buy a $699 OS upgrade per server!)

    http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=rn4VkUBh&p_lva=&p_faqid=13102&p_created=1108068223&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDM0MyZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

    Great to see this issue will finally be fixed by Microsoft. I imagine
    KB895900 will undergo more testing and then finally replace the
    defective KB885250.

    Again, thanks for helping the user community by posting this
    information.

    Garyp wrote:
    > Call Microsoft to get hotfix 895900 this information is listed on:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885250 there is a link pointing to
    895900

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/
    >
    > Garyp@tksol.com
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hello Manuel Lopez,

    I have been fighting this problem for several of my clients, I found a
    hotfix that did not work, I still have the problem and I have also tested
    this from a CMD prompt and here is my results.

    When I isssue a "Dir" command by itself it reports no files or folders.

    if I issue a "dir *.exe" I can see all the executables.

    I have opened a ticket with MS and when they resolve the issue I will update
    this post.

    Garyp

    Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir
    Volume in drive Z has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA

    Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit

    File Not Found

    Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir *.exe
    Volume in drive Z has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA

    Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit

    03/22/2005 07:13 AM 12,337,752 en_windows_server_2003_reskit.exe
    03/30/2005 02:35 PM 392,552 q329357_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe
    03/30/2005 11:46 AM 12,337,752 rktools.exe
    03/18/2005 08:55 AM 4,934,480 WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe
    4 File(s) 30,002,536 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 49,053,638,656 bytes free

    Z:\2003 Resource Kit>

    "Manuel Lopez" wrote:

    > No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250 is
    > installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among other
    > issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of windows xp sp2
    > machines.
    >

    > "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > Outrage wrote:
    > >
    > >> KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared
    > >> from Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user
    > >> database application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me
    > >> machine, a user on XP that has this security update installed is not
    > >> allowed to create any files from the application on the host machine.
    > >>
    > >> This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is
    > >> to have users uninstall this update.
    > >>
    > >> Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something
    > >> that will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to
    > >> function properly?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >
    > > Here's information I found provided by another MVP:
    > >
    > > KB885250, an update from 2/8/2005 can cause file and printer sharing
    > > problems under Windows networking and SAMBA.
    > >
    > > XP SP2 clients seem unaffected, the issue surfacing for XP SP1 clients
    > > with this hotfix applied. If your attempt to use SMB shares seems
    > > compromised after last week's hotfixes, remove KB885250.
    > >
    > > See this MS Knowledge Base article:
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-011.mspx
    > >
    > > Check in the section "Vulnerability Details, Workarounds" for several
    > > approaches to providing the protection of the hotfix without using the
    > > hotfix.
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > Elephant Boy Computers
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > "Don't Panic!"

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for your note. I'm waiting for xp sp3 to fix the problem (I assume
    it will be fixed by then), and have removed kb 885250 from my systems and
    also hidden it from appearing on windows update.

    "Garyp" <grp@tksol.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Manuel Lopez,
    >
    > I have been fighting this problem for several of my clients, I found a
    > hotfix that did not work, I still have the problem and I have also tested
    > this from a CMD prompt and here is my results.
    >
    > When I isssue a "Dir" command by itself it reports no files or folders.
    >
    > if I issue a "dir *.exe" I can see all the executables.
    >
    > I have opened a ticket with MS and when they resolve the issue I will
    > update
    > this post.
    >
    > Garyp

    > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir
    > Volume in drive Z has no label.
    > Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA
    >
    > Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit
    >
    > File Not Found
    >
    > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir *.exe
    > Volume in drive Z has no label.
    > Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA
    >
    > Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit
    >
    > 03/22/2005 07:13 AM 12,337,752 en_windows_server_2003_reskit.exe
    > 03/30/2005 02:35 PM 392,552 q329357_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe
    > 03/30/2005 11:46 AM 12,337,752 rktools.exe
    > 03/18/2005 08:55 AM 4,934,480
    > WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe
    > 4 File(s) 30,002,536 bytes
    > 0 Dir(s) 49,053,638,656 bytes free
    >
    > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>
    >

    > "Manuel Lopez" wrote:
    >
    >> No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250 is
    >> installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among other
    >> issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of windows xp
    >> sp2
    >> machines.
    >>

    >> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

    >> > Here's information I found provided by another MVP:
    >> >
    >> > KB885250, an update from 2/8/2005 can cause file and printer sharing
    >> > problems under Windows networking and SAMBA.
    >> >
    >> > XP SP2 clients seem unaffected, the issue surfacing for XP SP1 clients
    >> > with this hotfix applied. If your attempt to use SMB shares seems
    >> > compromised after last week's hotfixes, remove KB885250.
    >> >
    >> > See this MS Knowledge Base article:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-011.mspx
    >> >
    >> > Check in the section "Vulnerability Details, Workarounds" for several
    >> > approaches to providing the protection of the hotfix without using the
    >> > hotfix.
    >> >
    >> > Malke
    >> > --
    >> > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> > Elephant Boy Computers
    >> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> > "Don't Panic!"

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    MS have at last acknowledged some of the problems with this hotfix.
    Go to

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/

    for details of another patch to fix the problem - if their comments apply.
    Sounds like a new hotfix is on the way from Win Update

    "Manuel Lopez" wrote:

    > Thanks for your note. I'm waiting for xp sp3 to fix the problem (I assume
    > it will be fixed by then), and have removed kb 885250 from my systems and
    > also hidden it from appearing on windows update.
    >

    > "Garyp" <grp@tksol.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello Manuel Lopez,
    > >
    > > I have been fighting this problem for several of my clients, I found a
    > > hotfix that did not work, I still have the problem and I have also tested
    > > this from a CMD prompt and here is my results.
    > >
    > > When I isssue a "Dir" command by itself it reports no files or folders.
    > >
    > > if I issue a "dir *.exe" I can see all the executables.
    > >
    > > I have opened a ticket with MS and when they resolve the issue I will
    > > update
    > > this post.
    > >
    > > Garyp

    > > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir
    > > Volume in drive Z has no label.
    > > Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA
    > >
    > > Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit
    > >
    > > File Not Found
    > >
    > > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>dir *.exe
    > > Volume in drive Z has no label.
    > > Volume Serial Number is AAAA-AAAA
    > >
    > > Directory of Z:\2003 Resource Kit
    > >
    > > 03/22/2005 07:13 AM 12,337,752 en_windows_server_2003_reskit.exe
    > > 03/30/2005 02:35 PM 392,552 q329357_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe
    > > 03/30/2005 11:46 AM 12,337,752 rktools.exe
    > > 03/18/2005 08:55 AM 4,934,480
    > > WindowsXP-KB838079-SupportTools-ENU.exe
    > > 4 File(s) 30,002,536 bytes
    > > 0 Dir(s) 49,053,638,656 bytes free
    > >
    > > Z:\2003 Resource Kit>
    > >

    > > "Manuel Lopez" wrote:
    > >
    > >> No, xp sp2 is ALSO affected by serious networking problems if 885250 is
    > >> installed; the files in random folders become inaccessible, among other
    > >> issues--and this is true even on networks consisting only of windows xp
    > >> sp2
    > >> machines.
    > >>

    > >> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    MS have at last acknowledged some of the problems with this hotfix.
    Go to

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/

    for another patch to fix the problem - if their comments apply. Sounds
    like a new hotfix is on the way from Win Update
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    It was unusually troublesome:

    "bushy" <bob@58bf.freeserve.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > MS have at last acknowledged some of the problems with this hotfix.
    > Go to
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895900/
    >
    > for another patch to fix the problem - if their comments apply. Sounds
    > like a new hotfix is on the way from Win Update

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Like everyone else I have problems with the update to.

    Here is what we have found out

    All Windows XP machines service Pack 2 with all updates are having
    problems with a Intel network card.

    Windows XP machines without Intel cards and all patched up are good and
    running fine.

    Can anyone tell me if it is Intel cards only or any other we have many
    Broadcom cards that are running fine.
    Rodney Shoffstall

    --
    rshoffstall
    rshoffstall's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12847

    I'm running into this problem pretty heavily in cases where we have XP SP1
    and 2 machines writing to win 98 machines acting as servers on peer-to-peer
    servers. I support a particular product that runs an InstallShield session
    from the server to the client- the big problem we're running into is 1607
    errors (unable to install InstallShield scripting runtime). Anyone know if
    the hotfix that fixes this problem works on this type of issue? So far the
    only solution we've had is to remove KB885250- I'm not sure if the fix that
    MS has put out for the writing error will affect executables coming FROM the
    server. I don't want to start implementing an unstable fix unless I know it
    will work.

    "Outrage" wrote:

    > KB885250 is causing problems when files or applications are shared from
    > Windows 95/98/Me machines. In the case of our DOS multi-user database
    > application, if the application and data reside on a 95/98/Me machine, a user
    > on XP that has this security update installed is not allowed to create any
    > files from the application on the host machine.
    >
    > This is a major problem, and the only solution I have at this point is to
    > have users uninstall this update.
    >
    > Is anyone aware of a way to install the update and change something that
    > will allow shared files and applications on 95/98/Me machines to function
    > properly?
    >
    > Thanks

Security Windows XP