How much is my CPU holding me back?

Current setup:

AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
1024mb PC2100 Ram
Radeon 9800XT
Audigy 1
Elite Systems K875S Mobo
WinXP

How much is my Radeon being pegged back by my older motherboard and CPU?

I play games, I plan to be playing the likes of HL2 and Doom 3 so am I
really gonna see major improvements in a better processor, say an Athlon 64
3200+ for example? Anyone who has made a similar upgrade got any comments to
make?

Thanks!

--
-
I know the wheels go round and round, but whats the story prior to that

    I wouldnt call this a slow system, at least not one I would change just yet...

    The most outdated thing is probably the PC2100, but amount of memory seems to have a bigger effect
    than type of memory in real life use, so I wouldnt worry even there.

    You will get a performance increase with a '64, but thats a lot of money for something that doesnt
    even have the software out to take full use of it, and when that appears, the part will be
    superceded. To add that processor and make best use of it, you will also have to buy a mobo and
    memory, and thats a lot of money (and then you'll be wondering if the GFX card is holding back the
    processor!)

    Keep your money in your pocket for a few months yet, wait for the second gen of the current cutting
    edge cards come out and PC bus has settled down. Your system will be fine for the current crop of
    games in the meantime

    FWIW, I moved from a 9800 pro, XP2000, 1Gig PC2100 and moved up to a XP2800, 1Gig 2800 (well,
    actually, I used the same memory, it works as a 333 dual in the nForce 2 :)

    the 3DMark moved up from 12000 ish to 16000 ish. A 25% increase, but not really worth the cost if
    that was the only reason to move up (other reason for me was simply that I need a second backup
    computer because I work from home, so used some of the older stuff to build a second rig on the
    cheap).

    "Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I wouldnt call this a slow system, at least not one I would change just
    yet...

    > The most outdated thing is probably the PC2100, but amount of memory seems
    to have a bigger effect
    > than type of memory in real life use, so I wouldnt worry even there.
    >
    > You will get a performance increase with a '64, but thats a lot of money
    for something that doesnt
    > even have the software out to take full use of it, and when that appears,
    the part will be
    > superceded. To add that processor and make best use of it, you will also
    have to buy a mobo and
    > memory, and thats a lot of money (and then you'll be wondering if the GFX
    card is holding back the
    > processor!)
    >
    > Keep your money in your pocket for a few months yet, wait for the second
    gen of the current cutting
    > edge cards come out and PC bus has settled down. Your system will be fine
    for the current crop of
    > games in the meantime
    >
    > FWIW, I moved from a 9800 pro, XP2000, 1Gig PC2100 and moved up to a
    XP2800, 1Gig 2800 (well,
    > actually, I used the same memory, it works as a 333 dual in the nForce 2
    :)

    > the 3DMark moved up from 12000 ish to 16000 ish. A 25% increase, but not
    really worth the cost if
    > that was the only reason to move up (other reason for me was simply that I
    need a second backup
    > computer because I work from home, so used some of the older stuff to
    build a second rig on the
    > cheap).

    I totally agree with this advice. Give all of the new tech a chance to get
    released and mature somewhat and maybe look at upgrading then. Personally,
    I upgraded from a 2.26GHz P4 (533MHz FSB) to a 2.8GHz P4 (800MHz FSB) last
    year and also upgraded from 512MB PC-2100 RAM to 1GB of PC-3200 RAM. In
    retrospect, although the additional memory is obviously beneficial today, I
    do wish I would have waited at least six months longer to upgrade since I
    really did not think that the performance boost I got from that upgrade was
    worthwhile. By waiting that additional amount of time, I could have gotten
    something more powerful and/or at a better price.

    "Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I wouldnt call this a slow system, at least not one I would change just
    yet...

    > The most outdated thing is probably the PC2100, but amount of memory seems
    to have a bigger effect
    > than type of memory in real life use, so I wouldnt worry even there.
    >
    > You will get a performance increase with a '64, but thats a lot of money
    for something that doesnt
    > even have the software out to take full use of it, and when that appears,
    the part will be
    > superceded. To add that processor and make best use of it, you will also
    have to buy a mobo and
    > memory, and thats a lot of money (and then you'll be wondering if the GFX
    card is holding back the
    > processor!)

    Too true! Thats my problem at the moment, if I upgrade, I have to do the lot
    so it has to be the right upgrade. Memory, CPU, Mobo and a new power supply
    too. I'm reasonably happy with what I have now tho, I can run Far Cry pretty
    well with a decent amount of eyecandy for example, just interested in how
    much a newer setup would benefit me. I'll probably just hang on a bit like
    you say.

    > AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
    > 1024mb PC2100 Ram
    > Radeon 9800XT
    > Audigy 1
    > Elite Systems K875S Mobo
    > WinXP

    I have the XP 2000+ and Radeon 9600XT on a
    GA-7ZXE which is one of the worst mobos in the
    history of mobos. Runs fine, but in Far Cry at the
    Reality level of play, I notice that the AI is weird,
    and somewhat clipped.

    johns

    On 7/28/2004 2:13 PM Jamie_Manic brightened our day with:

    >Too true! Thats my problem at the moment, if I upgrade, I have to do the lot
    >so it has to be the right upgrade. Memory, CPU, Mobo and a new power supply
    >too. I'm reasonably happy with what I have now tho, I can run Far Cry pretty
    >well with a decent amount of eyecandy for example, just interested in how
    >much a newer setup would benefit me. I'll probably just hang on a bit like
    >you say.

    What I tell people is that if you're going to upgrade, go for a 64 bit
    processor, but wait until there is really a need for a 64 bit
    processor. They're fast and cool and sexy, but they don't outrageously
    blow away my overclocked XP2500+ Barton.
    I have my fingers crossed that when Longhorn finally comes out, they'll
    have a nice oem deal or pairing with a 64 bit processor, something like
    you get a good 64 bit CPU (by the time Longhorn comes out I'd think an
    AMD 3500 might be middle of the road) and motherboard plus a Longhorn
    upgrade for ~$300. If that deal is out there, 4Q of 2005, I'd be all
    over it; I'll try to plug along with my 2.2 GHz 32 bit processor until then.

    --
    Steve [Inglo]

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:55:43 +0100, "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote:

    >Current setup:
    >
    >AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
    >1024mb PC2100 Ram
    >Radeon 9800XT
    >Audigy 1
    >Elite Systems K875S Mobo
    >WinXP
    >
    >How much is my Radeon being pegged back by my older motherboard and CPU?
    >
    >I play games, I plan to be playing the likes of HL2 and Doom 3 so am I
    >really gonna see major improvements in a better processor, say an Athlon 64
    >3200+ for example? Anyone who has made a similar upgrade got any comments to
    >make?
    >
    >Thanks!

    it would be interresting to know when you do a bench mark to tell us what's your cpu score
    you see whit my barton 2600 @ 1.9 gigs no oc. i get 500 point.

    so by this if you get the same then your find cause in therm of power the 2400 and the barton 2600
    are clocked almost at the same speed.

    hAD THE SAME xP2400 SYSTEM, upgraded to a Mobile Barton 2500, pc 3200,
    GREAT, just need the Radeon 9800 Pro and my system would be complete
    for many years to come.

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:20:52 -0600, "NightSky 421"
    <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

    >"Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I wouldnt call this a slow system, at least not one I would change just
    >yet...
    >>
    >> The most outdated thing is probably the PC2100, but amount of memory seems
    >to have a bigger effect
    >> than type of memory in real life use, so I wouldnt worry even there.
    >>
    >> You will get a performance increase with a '64, but thats a lot of money
    >for something that doesnt
    >> even have the software out to take full use of it, and when that appears,
    >the part will be
    >> superceded. To add that processor and make best use of it, you will also
    >have to buy a mobo and
    >> memory, and thats a lot of money (and then you'll be wondering if the GFX
    >card is holding back the
    >> processor!)
    >>
    >> Keep your money in your pocket for a few months yet, wait for the second
    >gen of the current cutting
    >> edge cards come out and PC bus has settled down. Your system will be fine
    >for the current crop of
    >> games in the meantime
    >>
    >> FWIW, I moved from a 9800 pro, XP2000, 1Gig PC2100 and moved up to a
    >XP2800, 1Gig 2800 (well,
    >> actually, I used the same memory, it works as a 333 dual in the nForce 2
    >:)
    >>
    >> the 3DMark moved up from 12000 ish to 16000 ish. A 25% increase, but not
    >really worth the cost if
    >> that was the only reason to move up (other reason for me was simply that I
    >need a second backup
    >> computer because I work from home, so used some of the older stuff to
    >build a second rig on the
    >> cheap).
    >>

    >I totally agree with this advice. Give all of the new tech a chance to get
    >released and mature somewhat and maybe look at upgrading then. Personally,
    >I upgraded from a 2.26GHz P4 (533MHz FSB) to a 2.8GHz P4 (800MHz FSB) last
    >year and also upgraded from 512MB PC-2100 RAM to 1GB of PC-3200 RAM. In
    >retrospect, although the additional memory is obviously beneficial today, I
    >do wish I would have waited at least six months longer to upgrade since I
    >really did not think that the performance boost I got from that upgrade was
    >worthwhile. By waiting that additional amount of time, I could have gotten
    >something more powerful and/or at a better price.

    HELLO NURSE.

    "OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > HELLO NURSE.

    LOL, what's this?

    "Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:55:43 +0100, "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind>
    wrote:

    > >Current setup:
    > >
    > >AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
    > >1024mb PC2100 Ram
    > >Radeon 9800XT
    > >Audigy 1
    > >Elite Systems K875S Mobo
    > >WinXP
    > >
    > >How much is my Radeon being pegged back by my older motherboard and CPU?
    > >
    > >I play games, I plan to be playing the likes of HL2 and Doom 3 so am I
    > >really gonna see major improvements in a better processor, say an Athlon
    64
    > >3200+ for example? Anyone who has made a similar upgrade got any comments
    > >make?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    >
    > it would be interresting to know when you do a bench mark to tell us
    what's your cpu score
    > you see whit my barton 2600 @ 1.9 gigs no oc. i get 500 point.
    >
    > so by this if you get the same then your find cause in therm of power the
    2400 and the barton 2600
    > are clocked almost at the same speed.

    I did a 3DMark2003 test a few days ago and managed about 3500. Everything
    seemed ok apart from the CPU tests which dragged along between 1-3 fps.

    Jamie_Manic wrote:
    :: Current setup:
    ::
    :: AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
    :: 1024mb PC2100 Ram
    :: Radeon 9800XT
    :: Audigy 1
    :: Elite Systems K875S Mobo
    :: WinXP
    ::
    :: How much is my Radeon being pegged back by my older motherboard and
    :: CPU?

    I saw a bigger increase just replacing the MB to one with dual channel
    memory. XP2500 1GB PC3200, radeon 9700 Pro... old MB was a cheapo matsonic
    one, new one is Abit NF7-S V2.0... XP Pro load times dropped from 30-40 secs
    to around 12-15 secs, memory bandwidth jumped, everything loads twice as
    fast. Only thing I replaced was the MB, cost me about £70 (UK)

    Plus this puppy overclocks like a dream too. Even though it's twice as fast
    in normal dual channel mode... I've clocked this XP2500 up from 1.83GHZ to
    2.32GHZ temps (depending on season) are 38-40 in winter-spring to 46-48 in
    summer (50 on extremely hot days) under a full load for a couple of hrs. All
    air cooled in an ally case with very good HS/fan and ultra quiet.

    The 2400 you have runs at 266FSB, with a decent MB and depending on the
    quality of the ram you have and cooling... you might be able to overclock a
    decent amount... that would see a big increase.

    You don't watch Anamanics then, HELLLO NURSE :)

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:17:29 -0700, "johns" <johns123@moscow.com>
    wrote:

    >> AthlonXP 2400+ (266)
    >> 1024mb PC2100 Ram
    >> Radeon 9800XT
    >> Audigy 1
    >> Elite Systems K875S Mobo
    >> WinXP
    >
    >I have the XP 2000+ and Radeon 9600XT on a
    >GA-7ZXE which is one of the worst mobos in the
    >history of mobos. Runs fine, but in Far Cry at the
    >Reality level of play, I notice that the AI is weird,
    >and somewhat clipped.
    >
    >johns

    HELLO NURSE.

Radeon CPUs Graphics