MSN Hotmail Issue

a b 8 Security
February 16, 2005 10:13:59 PM

This is a mixed issue but it deeply concerns the security of Hotmail. I
thank Microsoft for having the 'alternative email' address field in
Setup/Options. Otherwise I wouldn't have got my Hotmail back ever!

Read the full story at:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/kevingpo/2005/02/10/

More about : msn hotmail issue

March 2, 2005 2:57:02 PM

Hello. I would like to know how to get a Hotmail (MSN address) back. You
mentioned an 'alternative email'. What exactly is that and how would I get
one to help get my friend's Hotmail back? You see, somebody found out what
her answer was to her secret question, and the person then changed her
question, answer and password. I'm sorry if I've come to the wrong place to
get answers, but I don't really know any other thing to do now! Any
imformation you can possibly gove me would be helpful, so please, reply!

"Kevin C." wrote:

> This is a mixed issue but it deeply concerns the security of Hotmail. I
> thank Microsoft for having the 'alternative email' address field in
> Setup/Options. Otherwise I wouldn't have got my Hotmail back ever!
>
> Read the full story at:
>
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/kevingpo/2005/02/10/

March 2, 2005 3:11:29 PM

S wrote:

> Hello. I would like to know how to get a Hotmail (MSN address) back.
> You mentioned an 'alternative email'. What exactly is that and how
> would I get one to help get my friend's Hotmail back? You see,
> somebody found out what her answer was to her secret question, and the
> person then changed her question, answer and password. I'm sorry if
> I've come to the wrong place to get answers, but I don't really know
> any other thing to do now! Any imformation you can possibly gove me
> would be helpful, so please, reply!
>
> "Kevin C." wrote:
>
>> This is a mixed issue but it deeply concerns the security of Hotmail.
>> I thank Microsoft for having the 'alternative email' address field in
>> Setup/Options. Otherwise I wouldn't have got my Hotmail back ever!
>>
>> Read the full story at:
>>
>> http://www.livejournal.com/users/kevingpo/2005/02/10/

The alternate email is one that your friend would have set up when she
set up her Hotmail account. It is a different email address that can be
used as a fallback if the Hotmail account doesn't work. If your friend
did not set up an alternate email address when she signed up for
Hotmail, there isn't anything she can do. If she was only using the
free Hotmail account, then she will need to forget about the old
address, make a new account, contact all her friends and give them her
new address, and not tell people her password and secret question
again. Oh, and pick a good strong password too.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers