MSN Hotmail Issue

This is a mixed issue but it deeply concerns the security of Hotmail. I
thank Microsoft for having the 'alternative email' address field in
Setup/Options. Otherwise I wouldn't have got my Hotmail back ever!

Read the full story at:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/kevingpo/2005/02/10/
2 answers Last reply
More about hotmail issue

    Hello. I would like to know how to get a Hotmail (MSN address) back. You
    mentioned an 'alternative email'. What exactly is that and how would I get
    one to help get my friend's Hotmail back? You see, somebody found out what
    her answer was to her secret question, and the person then changed her
    question, answer and password. I'm sorry if I've come to the wrong place to
    get answers, but I don't really know any other thing to do now! Any
    imformation you can possibly gove me would be helpful, so please, reply!

    S wrote:

    > Hello. I would like to know how to get a Hotmail (MSN address) back.
    > You mentioned an 'alternative email'. What exactly is that and how
    > would I get one to help get my friend's Hotmail back? You see,
    > somebody found out what her answer was to her secret question, and the
    > person then changed her question, answer and password. I'm sorry if
    > I've come to the wrong place to get answers, but I don't really know
    > any other thing to do now! Any imformation you can possibly gove me
    > would be helpful, so please, reply!
    >
    > "Kevin C." wrote:
    >
    >> This is a mixed issue but it deeply concerns the security of Hotmail.
    >> I thank Microsoft for having the 'alternative email' address field in
    >> Setup/Options. Otherwise I wouldn't have got my Hotmail back ever!
    >>
    >> Read the full story at:
    >>
    >> http://www.livejournal.com/users/kevingpo/2005/02/10/

    The alternate email is one that your friend would have set up when she
    set up her Hotmail account. It is a different email address that can be
    used as a fallback if the Hotmail account doesn't work. If your friend
    did not set up an alternate email address when she signed up for
    Hotmail, there isn't anything she can do. If she was only using the
    free Hotmail account, then she will need to forget about the old
    address, make a new account, contact all her friends and give them her
    new address, and not tell people her password and secret question
    again. Oh, and pick a good strong password too.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers