Out Of Memory?

Hi i have XP professional and it has worked perfectly up until now. When i
click on a user name it takes about 10 minutes for it to open and then my
background appers without my desktop icons or the 'Windows start bar' and a
message appears saying 'out of memory'. Can you please help me as the only
way i can go to the internet is via the 'task manager' and i can not get on
to any of my work documents. Thanks.
16 answers Last reply
More about memory

    "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:

    > Hi i have XP professional and it has worked perfectly up until now. When i
    > click on a user name it takes about 10 minutes for it to open and then my
    > background appers without my desktop icons or the 'Windows start bar' and a
    > message appears saying 'out of memory'. Can you please help me as the only
    > way i can go to the internet is via the 'task manager' and i can not get on
    > to any of my work documents. Thanks.

    A few more details would be helpful. Have you installed or downloaded
    anything before this started? Do you have a great many objects open on your
    desktop? Are you clicking on this "user name" on a network share or a web
    site?

    Have you tried restarting your machine to clear the memory cache and then
    going back to what you were doing?

    "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:

    > Hi i have XP professional and it has worked perfectly up until now. When i
    > click on a user name it takes about 10 minutes for it to open and then my
    > background appers without my desktop icons or the 'Windows start bar' and a
    > message appears saying 'out of memory'. Can you please help me as the only
    > way i can go to the internet is via the 'task manager' and i can not get on
    > to any of my work documents. Thanks.

    Yes my daughter has downloaded a few things, for example MSN 7.0, Morpheus
    Music downloads and CustoMess for MSN Messenger. I have about 10 vital items
    on my desktop. The username I click on is from the Start Up menu on a home
    computer.

    Yes i have tried to restart my computer, but the same thing happens again.

    Thanks. Tom

    "OneDay" wrote:

    > A few more details would be helpful. Have you installed or downloaded
    > anything before this started? Do you have a great many objects open on your
    > desktop? Are you clicking on this "user name" on a network share or a web
    > site?
    >
    > Have you tried restarting your machine to clear the memory cache and then
    > going back to what you were doing?
    >
    > "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi i have XP professional and it has worked perfectly up until now. When i
    > > click on a user name it takes about 10 minutes for it to open and then my
    > > background appers without my desktop icons or the 'Windows start bar' and a
    > > message appears saying 'out of memory'. Can you please help me as the only
    > > way i can go to the internet is via the 'task manager' and i can not get on
    > > to any of my work documents. Thanks.

    Also, while in safe mode, run anti-virus and spyware programs. I am working
    now on MY daughter's machine. Whatever is on it keeps filling up the memory
    and bringing the machine to it's proverbial knees

    "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:

    > Yes my daughter has downloaded a few things, for example MSN 7.0, Morpheus
    > Music downloads and CustoMess for MSN Messenger. I have about 10 vital items
    > on my desktop. The username I click on is from the Start Up menu on a home
    > computer.
    >
    > Yes i have tried to restart my computer, but the same thing happens again.
    >
    > Thanks. Tom
    >
    > "OneDay" wrote:
    >
    > > A few more details would be helpful. Have you installed or downloaded
    > > anything before this started? Do you have a great many objects open on your
    > > desktop? Are you clicking on this "user name" on a network share or a web
    > > site?
    > >
    > > Have you tried restarting your machine to clear the memory cache and then
    > > going back to what you were doing?
    > >
    > > "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi i have XP professional and it has worked perfectly up until now. When i
    > > > click on a user name it takes about 10 minutes for it to open and then my
    > > > background appers without my desktop icons or the 'Windows start bar' and a
    > > > message appears saying 'out of memory'. Can you please help me as the only
    > > > way i can go to the internet is via the 'task manager' and i can not get on
    > > > to any of my work documents. Thanks.

    LOL, could you please tell me what 'Safe Mode' is. Thanks

    "OneDay" wrote:

    > Also, while in safe mode, run anti-virus and spyware programs. I am working
    > now on MY daughter's machine. Whatever is on it keeps filling up the memory
    > and bringing the machine to it's proverbial knees
    >

    > "Urgently in need of your help. TOM" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes my daughter has downloaded a few things, for example MSN 7.0, Morpheus
    > > Music downloads and CustoMess for MSN Messenger. I have about 10 vital items
    > > on my desktop. The username I click on is from the Start Up menu on a home
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Yes i have tried to restart my computer, but the same thing happens again.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Tom
    > >
    > > "OneDay" wrote:
    > >
    > > > A few more details would be helpful. Have you installed or downloaded
    > > > anything before this started? Do you have a great many objects open on your
    > > > desktop? Are you clicking on this "user name" on a network share or a web
    > > > site?
    > > >
    > > > Have you tried restarting your machine to clear the memory cache and then
    > > > going back to what you were doing?

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:15:03 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    wrote:

    > Yes my daughter has downloaded a few things, for example MSN 7.0, Morpheus
    > Music downloads and CustoMess for MSN Messenger. I have about 10 vital items
    > on my desktop. The username I click on is from the Start Up menu on a home
    > computer.

    Reboot in safe mode and uninstall all of the JUNK she installed.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:43:08 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    wrote:

    > LOL, could you please tell me what 'Safe Mode' is. Thanks

    Sure, when you reboot the computer keep pressing the F8 key until it asks
    you what mode you want to boot into - pick SAFE MODE (without any of the
    other glitz) and then you can fix the computer - this only loads the bare
    minimum needed to get the computer booted, so you should be able to
    uninstall the junk that was installed.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Sorry to keep bothering you but this really is urgent.

    I have restarted my computer in 'Safe Mode', uninstalled all the unwanted
    items but the same thing is still happening.

    When my user name finally loads a message comes displaying 'Your computer is
    low on virtual memory'. etc.

    Please help me

    Thanks, Tom

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:43:08 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > LOL, could you please tell me what 'Safe Mode' is. Thanks
    >
    > Sure, when you reboot the computer keep pressing the F8 key until it asks
    > you what mode you want to boot into - pick SAFE MODE (without any of the
    > other glitz) and then you can fix the computer - this only loads the bare
    > minimum needed to get the computer booted, so you should be able to
    > uninstall the junk that was installed.
    >

    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > Sorry to keep bothering you but this really is urgent.
    >
    > I have restarted my computer in 'Safe Mode', uninstalled all the unwanted
    > items but the same thing is still happening.
    >
    > When my user name finally loads a message comes displaying 'Your computer
    > is
    > low on virtual memory'. etc.

    Perhaps your daughter has filled your hard drive with downloaded music or
    movie files. How much free space is left on your hard drive? Open My
    Computer, right click on drive C:, and pick properties.

    Kerry Brown
    KDB Systems
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Urgently in need of your help. TOM wrote:

    > When my user name finally loads a message comes displaying 'Your
    > computer is low on virtual memory'. etc.

    You may be running out of hard drive space or your page file size is set too
    low. Go back in to Safe mode, and try adjusting the size of your page file.
    Check your amount of free space on all hard drives as well.

    To adjust your page file size, right-click on My computer, go to Properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab, click Settings (under performance; the top
    button), then click on the Advanced tab. Under Virtual Memory, click the
    Change button. Choose Custom size and for Intial size type in two times the
    amount of physical memory that you have in your machine, and for the max
    size, double the initial size. For example, if you have 256MB RAM in your
    machine, type 512MB for the initial size, and 1024MB for the Max size. For
    512MB RAM, type in 1024MB initial size and 2048MB Max size. That should give
    you plenty of virtual memory.

    To check the amount of free space you have on your hard drives, open My
    computer and right click and choose properties on each local disk you have
    installed.

    --
    David Denmark
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:47:03 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    wrote:

    > Sorry to keep bothering you but this really is urgent.
    >
    > I have restarted my computer in 'Safe Mode', uninstalled all the unwanted
    > items but the same thing is still happening.
    >
    > When my user name finally loads a message comes displaying 'Your computer is
    > low on virtual memory'. etc.

    Open the TASK MANAGER, you can get it by right clicking on the task bar
    (in an unused space) and selecting TASK MANAGER, then select processes and
    see what ones are using the most memory.

    VM is what's used when the computer needs more memory than the has RAM
    installed, it will swap blocks of memory out to the hard drive in order to
    make room.

    How much RAM does the computer have?

    I'm about done for the evening, but all I can suggest is that you've got
    something running in the background that's consuming it - it should show
    in the task manager.

    There could be one other option - there is a Virtual Memory setting for
    Windows, it has a range of X to Y and let windows manage.... It could be
    that it was improperly set by something on the computer or some other
    means. Set the Virtual Memory setting to a fixed amount of 500MB and 500MB
    and see if that makes any difference - but tell us what it was before you
    changed it.

    > Please help me
    >
    > Thanks, Tom
    >
    > "Leythos" wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:43:08 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    >> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > LOL, could you please tell me what 'Safe Mode' is. Thanks
    >>
    >> Sure, when you reboot the computer keep pressing the F8 key until it asks
    >> you what mode you want to boot into - pick SAFE MODE (without any of the
    >> other glitz) and then you can fix the computer - this only loads the bare
    >> minimum needed to get the computer booted, so you should be able to
    >> uninstall the junk that was installed.
    >>

    >> --
    >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    >> remove 999 in order to email me

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi, thanks for all your help, but still none of my desktop icons show, nor my
    start bar is displayed. I have tried all your ideas but my problem still
    remains.

    My virtual memory was set to min - 724.

    If you have any more ideas for me to try please tell me, they are greatly
    received.

    Thanks. Tom

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:47:03 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry to keep bothering you but this really is urgent.
    > >
    > > I have restarted my computer in 'Safe Mode', uninstalled all the unwanted
    > > items but the same thing is still happening.
    > >
    > > When my user name finally loads a message comes displaying 'Your computer is
    > > low on virtual memory'. etc.
    >
    > Open the TASK MANAGER, you can get it by right clicking on the task bar
    > (in an unused space) and selecting TASK MANAGER, then select processes and
    > see what ones are using the most memory.
    >
    > VM is what's used when the computer needs more memory than the has RAM
    > installed, it will swap blocks of memory out to the hard drive in order to
    > make room.
    >
    > How much RAM does the computer have?
    >
    > I'm about done for the evening, but all I can suggest is that you've got
    > something running in the background that's consuming it - it should show
    > in the task manager.
    >
    > There could be one other option - there is a Virtual Memory setting for
    > Windows, it has a range of X to Y and let windows manage.... It could be
    > that it was improperly set by something on the computer or some other
    > means. Set the Virtual Memory setting to a fixed amount of 500MB and 500MB
    > and see if that makes any difference - but tell us what it was before you
    > changed it.
    >

    > > Please help me
    > >
    > > Thanks, Tom
    > >
    > > "Leythos" wrote:

    > >> Sure, when you reboot the computer keep pressing the F8 key until it asks
    > >> you what mode you want to boot into - pick SAFE MODE (without any of the
    > >> other glitz) and then you can fix the computer - this only loads the bare
    > >> minimum needed to get the computer booted, so you should be able to
    > >> uninstall the junk that was installed.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> spam999free@rrohio.com
    > >> remove 999 in order to email me
    > >>

    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:53:02 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    wrote:

    > Hi, thanks for all your help, but still none of my desktop icons show, nor my
    > start bar is displayed. I have tried all your ideas but my problem still
    > remains.

    Even without the start bar and Icons you can do a CRTL-ALT-DEL and get the
    task manager, you still need to tell us what programs are using the most
    memory.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes i am using CTRL-ALT-DELETE to manage things, but this is slow and
    inconvienant.

    From the 'Tast Manager' i can tell that 'waol.exe', 'svchost.exe',
    'spoolsv.exe' and 'IEXPLORE.EXE' are using up most of my memory, i dont know
    what these are so i do not want to end the process as these may be vital.

    Do you know anything about these applications?

    Thanks, Tom

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:53:02 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, thanks for all your help, but still none of my desktop icons show, nor my
    > > start bar is displayed. I have tried all your ideas but my problem still
    > > remains.
    >
    > Even without the start bar and Icons you can do a CRTL-ALT-DEL and get the
    > task manager, you still need to tell us what programs are using the most
    > memory.
    >
    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:59:02 -0800, Urgently in need of your help. TOM
    wrote:

    > Yes i am using CTRL-ALT-DELETE to manage things, but this is slow and
    > inconvienant.
    >
    > From the 'Tast Manager' i can tell that 'waol.exe', 'svchost.exe',
    > 'spoolsv.exe' and 'IEXPLORE.EXE' are using up most of my memory, i dont know
    > what these are so i do not want to end the process as these may be vital.
    >
    > Do you know anything about these applications?

    WAOL is an AOL program, if you don't use AOL, then you should uninstall
    any AOL programs.

    SVCHOST is a normal process, but there could be something using it that
    you can't see.

    SPOOLSV.ECE is your spooler service - mine uses next to no memory

    IEXPLORER is internet explorer.

    Right click and kill WAOL and IEXPLORER, then in the task manager see if
    IE comes back, then if it doesn't RUN "EXPLORER" and see if you get your
    desktop.

    To me, it would seem that your machine really needs wiped and rebuilt from
    scratch. I would guess that the P2P application contained something nasty
    and it compromised your system.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me