9800SE AIW: TV sound pops/crackles on some channels

Hi all,

Ever since I bought an ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB All-in-Wonder, the audio has
been popping/crackling on a number of TV stations. It only seems to happen
during high-pitched sounds.
The strange thing is that it doesn't occur on all channels. The tv cable
should be ok, since I've already tried hooking up a tv to it and that just
plays fine.
I've uploaded a recording sample to the following address (828 KB):
http://members.lycos.nl/jfaase/radeon9800se/VRT%20TV1%20(10%2021%20pm).mpg

Thanks in advance for any info/tips/solutions.

Cheers!

Johan

System:
AMD Athlon XP1700+
ASUS A7V266-E (VIA KT266A chipset)
512MB DDR SD-Ram
ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB AIW
ATi Remote Wonder
Soundblaster Audigy

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:43:20 +0200, "Johan"
<no.spam.jfaase@hotmail.geenspam.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Ever since I bought an ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB All-in-Wonder, the audio has
>been popping/crackling on a number of TV stations. It only seems to happen
>during high-pitched sounds.
>The strange thing is that it doesn't occur on all channels. The tv cable
>should be ok, since I've already tried hooking up a tv to it and that just
>plays fine.
>I've uploaded a recording sample to the following address (828 KB):
>http://members.lycos.nl/jfaase/radeon9800se/VRT%20TV1%20(10%2021%20pm).mpg
>
>Thanks in advance for any info/tips/solutions.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Johan
>

>System:
>AMD Athlon XP1700+
>ASUS A7V266-E (VIA KT266A chipset)
>512MB DDR SD-Ram
>ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB AIW
>ATi Remote Wonder
>Soundblaster Audigy

Since you're using an Audigy on a VIA chipset, Johan, I'd recommend a
visit to http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ - look for PCI
Latency. Try googling on it for more info.

patrickp

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> schreef in bericht
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:43:20 +0200, "Johan"
> <no.spam.jfaase@hotmail.geenspam.com> wrote:
> >System:
> >AMD Athlon XP1700+
> >ASUS A7V266-E (VIA KT266A chipset)
> >512MB DDR SD-Ram
> >ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB AIW
> >ATi Remote Wonder
> >Soundblaster Audigy
> >

> Since you're using an Audigy on a VIA chipset, Johan, I'd recommend a
> visit to http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ - look for PCI
> Latency. Try googling on it for more info.
>
> patrickp

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response! I've tried George Breese's PCI Latency patch as
well as his Creative patch, but both haven't solved the problem. Also, I've
looked at the pci latencies with SiSoft Sandra; all devices on my pci-bus
(including the Audigy) use latency 32, except for my network card (128). The
Radeon is set to latency 255.

In the past (before I used the Radeon) the sound would occasionally click
every second during dvd-playback (using the built-in ac3 decoding of the
Audigy). My guess would be that this was due to pci latency caused by the
heavy ac3 traffic to the soundcard. This problem however has been solved by
a mobo bios upgrade some time ago.

The strange thing is that no matter how much I stress my system, the sound
never pops or crackles during mp3 playback and dvd playback is now also
perfect. The TV-pops I hear now also don't occur at a set time interval,
only when there is a relatively high or low sound. The strangest thing is
that it occurs only on about half of all channels.

Cheers!

Johan

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:21:51 +0200, "Johan"
<no.spam.jfaase@hotmail.geenspam.com> wrote:

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> schreef in bericht
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:43:20 +0200, "Johan"
>> <no.spam.jfaase@hotmail.geenspam.com> wrote:
>> >System:
>> >AMD Athlon XP1700+
>> >ASUS A7V266-E (VIA KT266A chipset)
>> >512MB DDR SD-Ram
>> >ATi Radeon 9800SE 128MB AIW
>> >ATi Remote Wonder
>> >Soundblaster Audigy
>> >

>> Since you're using an Audigy on a VIA chipset, Johan, I'd recommend a
>> visit to http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/ - look for PCI
>> Latency. Try googling on it for more info.
>>
>> patrickp
>
>Hi Patrick,
>
>Thanks for your response! I've tried George Breese's PCI Latency patch as
>well as his Creative patch, but both haven't solved the problem. Also, I've
>looked at the pci latencies with SiSoft Sandra; all devices on my pci-bus
>(including the Audigy) use latency 32, except for my network card (128). The
>Radeon is set to latency 255.
>
>In the past (before I used the Radeon) the sound would occasionally click
>every second during dvd-playback (using the built-in ac3 decoding of the
>Audigy). My guess would be that this was due to pci latency caused by the
>heavy ac3 traffic to the soundcard. This problem however has been solved by
>a mobo bios upgrade some time ago.
>
>The strange thing is that no matter how much I stress my system, the sound
>never pops or crackles during mp3 playback and dvd playback is now also
>perfect. The TV-pops I hear now also don't occur at a set time interval,
>only when there is a relatively high or low sound. The strangest thing is
>that it occurs only on about half of all channels.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Johan

Only other thing that occurs to me, Johan, is that it might be a high
signal level: Creative cards are known for producing distortion at
high levels. If you have the volume sliders set to maximum, try
backing them off to about 75%: this is reckoned to be favourite.

> Only other thing that occurs to me, Johan, is that it might be a high
> signal level: Creative cards are known for producing distortion at
> high levels. If you have the volume sliders set to maximum, try
> backing them off to about 75%: this is reckoned to be favourite.

Hi patrick,

Have tried changing the volume sliders as well - no success. Next thing I'm
trying is to connect the Radeon to my onboard C-media soundchip instead of
the Audigy, but I don't think that will improve the situation.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Johan

"Johan" <no.spam.jfaase@hotmail.geenspam.com> schreef in bericht

> Next thing I'm trying is to connect the Radeon to my onboard C-media
> soundchip instead of the Audigy, but I don't think that will improve the
situation.

Okay, tried this and the audigy is definitely not the problem because the
popping still remains through the C-media.

TIA for any other suggestions!

Johan